Voice of Duke Nukem Indicates Forever Won't Go Away

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Voice of Duke Nukem Indicates Forever Won't Go Away

Jon St. John, best known as the voice of Duke Nukem, dropped some cryptic and facetious hints at MAGfest indicating that gaming's most famous piece of vaporware might not have evaporated after all.

You can't keep a good Duke Nukem down. Much in the same way that you can't keep a very determined zombie down - it may be a hulking, twisted abomination, but it's technically not down. Despite Duke Nukem Forever designers might still be in development [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97032-Duke-Nukem-Forever-Designers-Speak-Out].

Those rumors may be corroborated thanks to Jon "Come Get Some" St. John, the voice of the Duke himself. St. John showed up at MAGFest [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97046-MAGFest-To-Rock-Washington-D-C-January-1-4-2010] last weekend in Washington, D.C. as a panelist. When asked about Duke Nukem Forever during his panel, he said that he wasn't able to talk about the game, leading to a groan from the crowd.

But then, St. John continued with a proverbial wink of the eye (well, maybe an actual wink of the eye, I can't see his other eye when he says it), "No, no, don't be disappointed. Read between the lines. Why am I not allowed to talk about it?"

St. John then went on to display exactly why he was the voice of Duke, thanking the girl who gave him the can of Bawls he was drinking. Yes, Jon St. John, you do in fact have Bawls of Aluminum.

The video is up at Brave New Gamer [http://www.bravenewgamer.com/2010/01/the-voice-of-duke-nukem-facetiously-confirms-duke-nukem-forever/], so we can all breathe a sigh of relief that Duke Nukem Forever may not be dead after all. Wait, is that relief? Sorry, that might have been exasperation instead. Yeah, definitely exasperation.

(Via Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5441686/duke-nukems-voice-actor-teases-fans-with-duke-nukem-forever])

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
God, if he sounds like Duke that all the time, id steal that voice.

Its THAT badass.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
This message has just come in to the Developers of Duke Nukem Forever from everyone on the planet that doesn't work at 3DRealms...

WE DON'T CARE

That is all. Duke Nukem is dead... :(

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
I can't tell if the whole ordeal is some insane publicity stunt. I'd find it rather funny if it got released unannounced, leaving dedicated fans in a rabid hunt when someone finds out.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
After waiting so long for this game, I'm still curious to see what they spent the last 12 years doing. It's got to be at least half decent when they spent that long on it.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
OH DEAR GOD NOOOOOOOOO....

now the fans will flood the webz with a bunch of fake "news flash" and it will be everything they will talk for the next 5 years

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
It's never coming out and I doubt people care anymore. I'll bet it'll be another 12 years before there's even so much as another hint that they MIGHT still be working on it.

Mr. Grey

I changed my face, ya like it?
Aug 31, 2009
I smell a dirty rat...

Oh and that guy is up to something. I don't like it... whatever it may be.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Now the joke will continue longer. Thank you, for wasting our time and excitement for this game. Let the game just die, please.

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
I posted this on Slashdot a while back, I'm going to re-post it here;

Does anyone else just grimace when they see "Duke Nukem"-anything related news anymore? I was 7 when Duke Nukem 3d came out, and although freaking awesome, what of note has the franchise done since?

Been a bucketload of fail, and a waste of terabytes of useless "news" stories posted on the internet.

Can we just call this one, guys? Time of death: 2005 (and that's being GENEROUS).

/rant

tmujir955

Oct 12, 2009
Amnestic said:

Just give it up guys. Move on. Find a new game.
They're not beating it. They're pulverizing it with a lawn mover equipped with a chainsaw.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Duke Nukem 3D was a fantastic shooter at the time but I'm sure most of us can agree that most of the games released Duke related after that were rather bad. And Duke Nukem Forever would just have been more of the same, a somewhat pretty game that played like Doom.

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
If they are going to do it they need to get it done and it needs to get Yahtzee to be unable to review it because it is gold. Otherwise this is like the guy who keeps bringing up the joke after it is dead, and the guy agreed to never say it again.