Arcades Go Virtual With Microsoft's Game Room

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Arcades Go Virtual With Microsoft's Game Room

Classic arcades make a virtual return this Spring courtesy of Microsoft.

Microsoft wasn't done when the mega-company developed Xbox Live Arcade as an online space for Xbox 360 consoles. With the upcoming Game Room, Microsoft wants to fully recreate the physical arcade on Xbox Live and Games for Windows Live just as it used to be, only without all the screaming kids and that moldy puke smell.

Available in Spring 2010, the up until now rumored Game Room will be a virtual arcade that Live Avatars can customize and personalize. Games will be available for purchase to place in each individual Game Room as fully sized arcade cabinets. From the video, I happen to be excited to decorate my Game Room with those little 8-bit creatures wandering around, so hopefully they aren't just video magic.

Game Room will support achievements and leaderboards, as expected. For now it looks to be a place for classic games only, but I hope its scope doesn't end up being too narrow. Arcade cabinets will cost 400 Microsoft Points ($5) for use on both the Xbox 360 and PC, and 240 Points ($3) for a single platform. Hearkening back to the old arcade days, games can also be tried for 40 points (50 cents), which will give an experience similar to popping a couple of quarters in a physical machine. I'm a little annoyed by the extra charge to play a game on both platforms from the get-go, but I suppose we should be thankful for a slight cross-platform play discount. Players can also invite friends over to their Game Rooms to try a game before buying it.

Multiple companies are already on board with Game Room, including Atari, Intellivision, and Konami. New games will be launched on the service every week, and Microsoft has plans for 1,000 to be available over the next three years. Game Room will not be an explorable space in the same way as PlayStation Home, so Avatars won't be running around dancing and annoying each other. More details should be available before launch.

Source: 1up [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3177527]

Cgull

Behind You
Oct 31, 2009
DirtyCommie said:
Im not supporting this stuff.

Seriously, im fed up of my 360 - yeah, good games and all, but damn, they will charge for anything..... 2 dollars for a Fable 2 background? If you ask me, its just shameful.
Seconded. Given the option of an 800 point Xbla title or 2 old arcade titles it'll be Xbla every time.

If the prices were right then it could work I guess....

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Cgull said:
DirtyCommie said:

Seriously, im fed up of my 360 - yeah, good games and all, but damn, they will charge for anything..... 2 dollars for a Fable 2 background? If you ask me, its just shameful.
Seconded. Given the option of an 800 point Xbla title or 2 old arcade titles it'll be Xbla every time.

yeah, but only if they decide that they're profit margin can take a back seat...otherwie, they are going to gauge away ><

The Austin

Jul 20, 2009
Cgull said:
DirtyCommie said:

Thirded. I'm not paying 5$ for a game that has 24 pixels. Good god, they charge inflated rates for everything.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Honestly I think this is a more interesting response to home... and complain about the price all you want, people will pay for it.

Gasaraki

Oct 15, 2009
it would have been cool if it was a kind of like home but since you can't walk around and stuff it looks like a crappy attempt at making money out of outdated games and avatars remain useless.

Killerbunny001

Oct 23, 2008
I`lll stick to Mame32 and NeoGeo thank you. Microsoft can go and ***** **** *** ****** ****** ****** ****** ****** gigant *** ***** ****** ********* *** ****** blender.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
TsunamiWombat said:
Honestly I think this is a more interesting response to home... and complain about the price all you want, people will pay for it.
It's not even all that bad a price, honestly. It's also an OPTIONAL feature... so in the end, you don't have to even use it.

It's just a neat gimmick for those who like old arcade games, and want to bring back that social aspect to it. Not a bad idea, IMO: I've always hoped that the arcade could have a modern resurgence.

ffxfriek

Apr 3, 2008
The Austin said:
Cgull said:
DirtyCommie said:

Thirded. I'm not paying 5$ for a game that has 24 pixels. Good god, they charge inflated rates for everything.
im going to fourthed this. they made enough money off me already.

Nov 28, 2007
How dare Microsoft charge money for old games! They should put them up for free! They may lose money, but they have enough of it!

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Microsoft: "Originality? What's that?"

Honestly first they copy the Wii's Miis, and now they're making their own Playstation Home, but without all that pesky variety, or interaction. They took the Miis and sold you stuff for them that probably took some designer about 5 minutes out of his lunch break to make, and now they're charging large amounts of money for arcade games that you can find better versions of in Flash (that they're selling them for the PC as well really grates me). Granted Home is full of stuff to sink money into as well(i'll admit I bought a BBQ for my Batcave).

brabz

Jan 3, 2008
thebobmaster said:
How dare Microsoft charge money for old games! They should put them up for free! They may lose money, but they have enough of it!
Make sure to tell Atari, Intellivision, and Konami that they won't be getting paid licensing fees to publish these games or receive a piece of each game sold in a new medium because Microsoft has made enough money and shouldn't charge.

I think just about anyone who grew up playing at physical arcades will enjoy the option to play these games and enjoy more arcade classics. It's a fun idea, and if they're beefing up the XBLA Arcade lineup even more, more power to them.

hypothetical fact

Oct 8, 2008
thenumberthirteen said:

Honestly first they copy the Wii's Miis, and now they're making their own Playstation Home, but without all that pesky variety, or interaction. They took the Miis and sold you stuff for them that probably took some designer about 5 minutes out of his lunch break to make, and now they're charging large amounts of money for arcade games that you can find better versions of in Flash (that they're selling them for the PC as well really grates me). Granted Home is full of stuff to sink money into as well(i'll admit I bought a BBQ for my Batcave).
What a rip off! How dare microsoft not allow this to happen. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6hkQrW51yQ

The Austin

Jul 20, 2009
ffxfriek said:
The Austin said:
Cgull said:
DirtyCommie said:

im going to fourthed this. they made enough money off me already.
I really like the idea, don't get me wrong, but GOOD GOD, I am NOT paying 5$ for a game that I could play with my internet browser.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Oh goddamnit. Great, now Microsoft thinks certain aspects of PSN Home are good to emulate. Gah.

hypothetical fact said:
thenumberthirteen said:

What a rip off! How dare microsoft not allow this to happen. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6hkQrW51yQ
Then again at least they took the game playing part and not the part that proves all the PS3 fanboys wrong about not having immature teens on PSN.

The thing is I actually do think the Game Room idea is kind of cool, but at the same time I don't see the point in spending that much money on it. Maybe a couple games here and there but not a huge collection.

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
thebobmaster said:
Yeah, cuz' that's how the world works! When you have enough money you can stop charging for things. Ignore things like the fact that we're in a econoomic crysis or that big companies also have big expenditures.

Yeah.