Editor's Note: Once Upon a Time

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Once Upon a Time

This week, in Issue 236 of The Escapist, "Once Upon a Time," we celebrate storytelling in games.

Read Full Article

Jon Etheridge

Appsro Animation
Apr 28, 2009
Good article.

I've always thought that story is what helps make a good game great. A good example being Knights of the Old Republic. If that game had not had the story it did it would have just been a good game. But that tale it weaves manages to surprise you and suck you into the world so much that it reaches that level of being not only a fun game to play, but a great adventure that you want to experience again.

Stories for the win, I say.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
A game without a good story is like a car without a sound system - you'll get from A to B, sure, but how bored are you going to get along the way?

Granted, if the car's something like a Bugatti Veyron, the experience itself might be enough to get you through. There are games like that, too.

But I'll take story over glitzy graphics any day of the week.

I love the subject of this week's issue. Thank you, Escapist, for shining your light on the fine and often forgotten art of storytelling.

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
I think people like BlueInkAlchemist are missing the point. I think when we are told to look for a "story" in games, we expect something with expectation-subersions that doesn't fall into cliches. But the Doom example in the article is a good one; story is there as long as we feel somewhat immersed and involved in what's going on, however basic it is. A unique situation helps, but it's really not a requirement.

stinkypitz

Jan 7, 2008
Well written...

I remember playing games when I was a kid, I always used my imagination to fill in the blanks and make the games I played a lot more exciting, despite their lack of good graphics. Looking back, I think I actually had more fun back then. A video-game story doesnt have to be complex and full of twists, it just has to immerse you in its world and make you care what happens.

Insanum

The Basement Caretaker.
May 26, 2009
You've got to say though, I think Hansel & Gretel may be a flaw to the arguement, But other than that, Very good article.

Storytelling most likely started around campfires when caveman told caveman about his run in's with that pesky Sabertooth from down in the valley, and then things have expanded from there.

Although "old fashioned" stories, Hero wants girl, Hero does something couragous then gets girl will always be told in various fashions, that general crux tends to be the most satisfying on the whole. None of this "lost-esque" dragging it forward anyway.

Regards,
Insanum