Meet Darksiders' Other Three Horsemen of the Apocalypse

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Meet Darksiders' Other Three Horsemen of the Apocalypse

Darksiders [http://www.amazon.com/Darksiders-Playstation-3/dp/B001D7T2VC/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1280866649&sr=1-1]' War may have his hands full with combat and puzzles, but the game's Creative Director has art for the remaining three Horsemen of the Apocalypse in case, y'know, they ever need a sequel (or DLC).

Joe "Joe Mad" Madureira, best known for his work as the artist for excellent Darksiders [http://www.amazon.com/Uncanny-X-Men-Vol-Manifest-Destiny/dp/0785124519/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1280866742&sr=8-1] as the Creative Director. But while the game stars War, one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, one has to wonder - what happened to the other three? Were they just sitting on their asses waiting for their buddy to get the game done? Why didn't they lend a hand?

Well, those questions may not be answered, but we do know what they look like. Madureira told VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2010/01/12/darksiders-famine-pestilence-and-death-already-designed-says-joe-mad/] that he'd already designed the other three Horsemen, and publisher THQ then sent the concept art over. While we caught a glimpse of all four together, this is the first we've seen them up close, and the remaining three are all clearly vintage Joe Mad-style.

Unlike the traditional Four Horsemen - War, Pestilence/Conquest, Famine, Death - the Darksiders quartet is War, Fury, Strife, and Death. It seems to me that you'd have a bit of overlap there with the first three, but hey, what do I know? I'm not a Horseman - I can't even ride a horse.

Strife [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/images/view/61794] opts for a tattered gunslinger cloak to match his awesomely oversized revolvers. Interestingly enough, War already uses two of these weapons - the scythe and the revolver - in the game itself, so I wonder if the remaining Horsemen are pissed at him for taking their schtick. (And check the full-size art out at the original VG247 link, by the way!)

The art is cool, and very emblematic of that silly-and-yet-awesome over-the-top 90s grimdark aesthetic that Joe Mad does very well. If Darksiders does well, he told VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2010/01/12/darksiders-strife-fury-and-death-art-revealed/], the developer "would love the chance to work on a sequel." So maybe War's three buddies will show up after all. Four-player coop, anyone?

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
I beleive that the other 3 horsemen have disappeared. I had assumed that some of the quests would discover the others or possibly allow you to play with them in other playthroughs. although if you get there weapons it may mean they have died/gone over to the legions of hell and left their weapons behind

Feb 13, 2008
John Funk said:
Death [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/images/view/61794] looks like you'd expect, complete with skull mask, raven, and scythe.
I DON'T THINK THEY CAUGHT MY GOOD SIDE THOUGH.
SQUEAK?
WELL, THEY ARE ONLY HUMAN.

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
In an old game informer article they said that you would run into the other horsemen along the way, i guess it was on of the ideas cut, and like you said maybe they're going to come out with a game centered on each of them.

ThatDudeThere

Feb 10, 2009
Conquest, War, Pestilence and Death. As far as i recall, these were the names of the four horsemen. So i must ask you, my dear Escapist, who the FUCK are Strife and Fury?

somekindarobot

Jul 29, 2009
Wait, wait, wait! War and Death I remember, but Fury and Strife? Aren't the other two supposed to be Famine and Plague? Or did they decide that playing as characters that steal food and spread disease wouldn't make a good game? I think it could be done, but what do I know?

Feb 13, 2008
ThatDudeThere said:
Conquest, War, Pestilence and Death. As far as i recall, these were the names of the four horsemen. So i must ask you, my dear Escapist, who the FUCK are Strife and Fury?
War, Famine, Pestilence and Death surely? ALthough Pestilence left the band muttering something about Penicillin and was replaced by Pollution.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
ThatDudeThere said:
somekindarobot said:
Wait, wait, wait! War and Death I remember, but Fury and Strife? Aren't the other two supposed to be Famine and Plague? Or did they decide that playing as characters that steal food and spread disease wouldn't make a good game? I think it could be done, but what do I know?
The_root_of_all_evil said:
ThatDudeThere said:
War, Famine, Pestilence and Death surely?
Like I said, Darksiders' Horsemen trades out Pestilence/Conquest and Famine for Strife and Fury. I don't know why; they just do.

Feb 13, 2008
John Funk said:
Like I said, Darksiders' Horsemen trades out Pestilence/Conquest and Famine for Strife and Fury. I don't know why; they just do.
Does seem a little bit silly though

I am Death and I will kill you.
I am War and I will destroy your land.

I am Strife and I will change channel while you're watching TV.
I am Fury and I will wave my arms and shout a lot.

Yeah...can we have the old two back please? :)

Tarkand

Dec 15, 2009
Here's the thing thought, from a game play point of view, there's some redundancy (In fact, there's a lot of it) between Pestilence and Famine...

Both would most likely have ability that center around weakening enemies, dealing damage over time, etc. Both would look like somewhat sickly fellows.

Not to mention that in some version of the bible, it's not Pestilence, but Conquest in the first place... and heck, if we want to talk about overlapping themes... how about Conquest and War?

Also, in the book, well... Famine's weapon is a scale. Yeah. A scale he's supposed to use to weight the ratio of grain::people and screw it up so people die of hunger. I don't know if beating people to death with a scale is all that appealing graphically.

I guess since they were going to take some liberties, they decided to scrap the two 'lesser known' Horseman and redo them.

ma55ter_fett

Oct 6, 2009
John Funk said:
Death [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/images/view/61794] looks like you'd expect, complete with skull mask, raven, and scythe.
I DON'T THINK THEY CAUGHT MY GOOD SIDE THOUGH.
SQUEAK?
WELL, THEY ARE ONLY HUMAN.
Major points awarded for includeing the "Death of Rats."

Jan 6, 2010
seriously? no famine or plague? i would have thought as plague you could use sort of green plagueee magic. cant think of anything for famine but plague should be fine

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
Wow, that concept art looks great, I'm definitely gonna pick up Darksiders. (I was planning to about a year ago when it was first shown.)

Didn't they say they wanted to make a sequel? If the first is great I'll be happy for them to make one and improve on what sucks, (so podcast I watch said it had no wow, just lots of cool) as long as the other Horsemen are as badass as War.

Hmmm, did they mix it up? Pestilent would have been awesome, I hate the fact there is so many different kinds of Horsemen. (Look it up, so many different named.)

WhiteRat07

Some guy
Aug 13, 2009
John Funk said:
Does seem a little bit silly though

I am Death and I will kill you.
I am War and I will destroy your land.

I am Strife and I will change channel while you're watching TV.
I am Fury and I will wave my arms and shout a lot.

Yeah...can we have the old two back please? :)
I laughed my ass off at this i actually pictured him changing the channel and doing the im not touching you bit.

lleihsad

Apr 9, 2009
It's kind of mystifying how many people these days can type, but not read. He said Pestilence and Famine had been swapped out in the damned article, guys (I guess being sick and hungry isn't "bad-ass" enough" for today's crowd).

On a less pissy note, is anybody else reminded of the old Blood games? Looks like we have a proper bunch of Chosen going on.

Sprogus

The Lord of Dreams
Jan 8, 2009
ThatDudeThere said:
War, Famine, Pestilence and Death surely? ALthough Pestilence left the band muttering something about Penicillin and was replaced by Pollution.
Awesome Good Omens reference there.