Sesame Street Returns to Edu-Gaming

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Sesame Street Returns to Edu-Gaming

Everyone's favorite fuzzy monsters will be educating on consoles worldwide.

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment recently announced a deal with the Sesame Workshop to develop games based on Sesame Street [http://www.amazon.com/Sesame-Street-Years-Sunny-Days/dp/B002K0WBWI/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1280863380&sr=1-1]. The games will be educational, just like the television series which has over four thousand episodes under its belt and has been going strong since 1969.

Specifically mentioned by Warner Bros. were "preschool console games" that would mix Sesame Street characters with "particular types of curriculum." There weren't any other age groups mentioned, so as of now we aren't going to see anything that kids above the age of five would want to play. No specific details have been revealed, so this deal appears to be in its infancy.

I would think that Sesame Street videogames could also hit a slightly older target audience, but I suppose at a certain point kids may outgrow the program. I wouldn't mind seeing videogames similar to the Lego series that are appealing and educational for kids but also well made products at the same time. At the very least, I want to see some effort put into the Sesame Street games rather than them becoming another reason to throw up when you look at the shelves of the local videogame store.

My ultimate dream would be to see a sandbox style game with Sesame Street characters, perhaps playing as Grover in his journey to become more than a second-tier character. If only you all knew how close he came to being "Tickle Me Grover," but Elmo swooped in a stole that spotlight. Snuffleupagus and Big Bird could give him missions. You could visit Bert and Ernie's house and settle the two's differences once and for all. You could eat cookies with Cookie Monster and count with the Count. Yes, my Sesame Street game would be amazing, but maybe not as educational as the Sesame Workshop and Warner Bros. plan to make theirs.

(Via: GoNintendo [http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=110704])

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
n is for noob, pwn the noobs.

it sounds like good news for all of us with younger nephew and nieces who's minds we want to corrupt.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
I'd happily learn the alphabet again on Sesame Street.

Nostalgia makes me do a lot of things.

Jark212

Certified Deviant
Jul 17, 2008
They lost my respect when they turned the Cookiemonster into the Veggiemonster...

I grew up with that show...

Mr. Grey

I changed my face, ya like it?
Aug 31, 2009
Jark212 said:
They lost my respect when they turned the Cookiemonster into the Veggiemonster...

Wait... what? They did what?!

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
Mr. Grey said:
Jark212 said:

yeah hes a health freak now, makes sense, its a show made to teach kids good values, and since childhood obesity and diabetes is a serious problem in America it was a very positive step from the creators.

Mr. Grey

Aug 31, 2009
swaki said:
Mr. Grey said:
Jark212 said:

yeah hes a health freak now, makes sense, its a show made to teach kids good values, and since childhood obesity and diabetes is a serious problem in America it was a very positive step from the creators.
Then make a character more lovable and popular than Ronald McDonald, make him repeat how fast food is only good in moderate consumptions of once a month or better yet not at all. That seems more successful and less likely to start a war with the Keebler Elves.

Does no one respect the Keebler Elf Treaty of 1910?!

Jark212

Certified Deviant
Jul 17, 2008
Mr. Grey said:
Jark212 said:

I may have overreacted...

http://www.businesspundit.com/cookie-monster-hasnt-turned-into-veggie-monster-but-he-does-eat-a-balanced-diet/

Mr. Grey

Aug 31, 2009
Jark212 said:
Mr. Grey said:
Jark212 said:

I may have overreacted...

http://www.businesspundit.com/cookie-monster-hasnt-turned-into-veggie-monster-but-he-does-eat-a-balanced-diet/
I moderately approve of this... but not by much.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
Mr. Grey said:
swaki said:
Mr. Grey said:
Jark212 said:

Then make a character more lovable and popular than Ronald McDonald, make him repeat how fast food is only good in moderate consumptions of once a month or better yet not at all. That seems more successful and less likely to start a war with the Keebler Elves.

yeah...i have no idea what your going on about with the elves, but all the other stuff you said is pretty much exactly what they did, but instead of creating a new character they just used an old one.

Mr. Grey

Aug 31, 2009
swaki said:
Mr. Grey said:
swaki said:
Mr. Grey said:
Jark212 said:

yeah...i have no idea what your going on about with the elves, but all the other stuff you said is pretty much exactly what they did, but instead of creating a new character they just used an old one.
We speak only of the treaty, never the dark events leading to it being formed.

And I can live with this, so long as he says "Gimme a cookie" like a parrot.

bakonslayer

Apr 15, 2009
I feel that there has been a major void in educational video games with the new generation, so this is fantastic. The Lego series is a GREAT example of one of the fantastic games that are good and fun for children to play but until recently, Sesame Street games have been there since the beginning. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9786F-hdfs&feature=related

It might just be since I'm older and naive to children's entertainment, or it might just be Disney's destruction of anything childlike and innocent, but it is nice to have children's games around again. Give the ESRB a reason to use the 'ol EC rating. Remember that? Me neither.

Ocelot GT

Oct 29, 2009
Will the Sesame Street games feature dedicated servers, or will they **** us over in that department too?

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
I would love to see Grand Theft Auto: Sesame Street
Cookie monster is framed for smuggling crack in his cookies and is imprisoned for ten years, now hes out and he wants revenge