Anime Review: Linebarrels of Iron

Norman Rafferty

Mar 18, 2009
Anime Review: Linebarrels of Iron

When I was in high school, I would?ve killed to have my own naked girl or my own giant robot. This guy gets both on the same day!

Read Full Article

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
This sounds like a good old fun anime with alot of cliche but knowing that its doing it XD

I love how he summons the machine! I think I have to add this to my "To see" list!

Soushi

Jun 24, 2009
*Sigh* i know what this is gonna get me, but here i go

Linebarrels of Iron was good enough to watch. the `bad guys are actually good guys`plot twist was cool. I liked the use of 3D animation, even if it did seem simply `tacked on`at some parts. The main character was easily detestable at first, he went to the "what made Light Yagami a pric." school of heroes.
(and now for teh obligatory Avatar reference) However, even though the show has been done before, the story told before and the basic idea pulled from god knows how many other places, Linebarrels of Iron was a good show. Like Avatar, even though it is not purely original, it does such a good job of presenting itself, that it is well worth downloading illegally off the internet, yarr.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Nice, while i typically don't like huge amounts of fan service i wont let it stop me from enjoying a good Anime/Manga/Game, and this looks like a good anime.
(after some research)And the Mech's look awesome.
Almost as cool as the Burning Gundam.....almost.
(Obvious fanboy is obvious)

kinky257

Apr 15, 2009
Soushi said:

Linebarrels of Iron was good enough to watch. the `bad guys are actually good guys`plot twist was cool. I liked the use of 3D animation, even if it did seem simply `tacked on`at some parts. The main character was easily detestable at first, he went to the "what made Light Yagami a pric." school of heroes.
Please at least put a spoiler on the only twist in the series in a thread recommending people to go watch it.

As for the show its self, as you said its a good point for people just starting out, but any one who's watched a mecha show or two before will find it painfully generic. More so when a similar idea and theme was done recently and far better in Gurren Lagann.

Penndragon

Jan 11, 2010
Mecha animes aren`t really my favorite genre in anime plus why the hell must the protagonist so damn pathetic, there is nothing I hate more then a pathetic anime protagonist. The robots where cool though.

Tom13ombadil

Jan 14, 2010
Soushi said:
It is well worth downloading illegally off the internet, yarr.
yay for torrents. Dont know what I would do without them. Only way for me to get anime, I normally can't find them at stores and when I do they are so damn expensive (4 episodes for 20 dollars omgwtfbbq)
May do a review for Gurren Lagann, I really liked that one, even though it was an odd anime.

Soushi

Jun 24, 2009
kinky257 said:
Soushi said:

Please at least put a spoiler on the only twist in the series in a thread recommending people to go watch it.

As for the show its self, as you said its a good point for people just starting out, but any one who's watched a mecha show or two before will find it painfully generic. More so when a similar idea and theme was done recently and far better in Gurren Lagann.
Yeah sorry bout that man, totally my bad about the spoiler.

YoUnG205

Ugh!...
Oct 13, 2009
I had not even heard of this Anime until now, but it does sound good and i think that I will watch it even if it does sound like it has alot of cliches, (this is not always a bad thing)

suubersnake

The Wizard
Nov 30, 2009
I am confused how this got positive ratings... Sure the anime was cool, and the 3-D mech fights were pretty good (though nothing particularly special), but the plot was embarrassingly bad. Now noting that I only made to episode three before giving up,mostly because the main character is a relentless (insert demeaning word or phrase here).

Many people would accuse me of not having gained the whole experience because this is like putting all your opinion on a video game having just played the demo, but something in the plot should hook you in to make you dive in and enjoy it, the only reason I made it to episode three was because I was hoping that it wouldn't be incredibly cliche with poor writing and unlikeable characters. By no means are the use of cliches bad, you can utilize them and make it interesting, but creating a character who from the start you want to poor his entrails in a blender and make him drink a colon smoothie, is not the best way to create the main hero, especially when he declares "I AM THE HERO OF JUSTICE" while causing more property damage than everyone else combined.

But I digress, I suppose each person has their own opinion of good anime, this felt neither fun nor good in comparison to other anime in the Giant Robot Genre, such as Gurren Lagann.

Master10K

Feb 12, 2010
Linebarrels of Iron is loud, it is bright but it certainly wasn't fun. I watched this with my anime club, ready to have a laugh but it wasn't even laughably bad. It was just bad. I agree with suubersnake... the plot was terrible and the way it tried to explain the logic behind all failed.

I actually finished the series on my own and as I continued, I found myself detesting the characters more and more. No protagonist of a mecha series is as annoying as Kouichi and when they tried to develop his character, I just didn't buy it for own second. I really did hate his preachy "I'm the hero of Justice!" attitude, whilst heedlessly committing mass murder.

And another thing... thrusting joysticks back & forth to control a mech was acceptable back in the day with Gundam. But now I really do need an explanation, why how this kid was able to control the thing with zero combat experience... unless it's Tengen Toppa. ^_^

platypuspwner

Feb 15, 2011
i was very disappointed with the anime version of the manga. The anime was no where as good as the manga in my opinion. I watched up to the episode where we find out Domyouji (who is my favourite character in the manga) is a bad guy, and I just gave up on the whole thing.