Valve Adding User-Made Items to Team Fortress 2

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Valve Adding User-Made Items to Team Fortress 2

Valve has launched a new "contribution" system for Team Fortress 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Team-Fortress-2-Pc/dp/B00140S21O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278969072&sr=1-1], allowing players to create and upload avatars and items that could end up being used in the game.

It sounds simple enough: Make stuff, upload it and if it gets approval from Valve [http://www.valvesoftware.com/], it winds up in your backpack and gets added to the game's random item drop cycle. The new contribution system is strictly for models to avoid upsetting game balance, although players can still submit gameplay ideas for new items in the usual way, via email or on the TF2 forums. Once the new stuff starts rolling in, Valve will launch a gallery where players can view and comment on submissions.

To help get budding designers off on the right foot, Valve has also posted a few tips about creating items for the Team Fortress world. A consistent visual style is important, with nothing "modern, hyper-realistic or overly cartoony," and items should maintain character personality as much as possible. Model details can be slightly overscaled, underscaled or even removed altogether and designs should be kept "simple and clean, just enough to identify what an object is." Technical information about texture density, polycounts and other such things that I have no understanding of or interest in has also been provided.

Think you've got what it takes to turn your TF2 ideas into TF2 stuff? Show 'em you mean business at teamfortress.com/contribute [http://www.teamfortress.com/contribute/index.php].

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
Now how many penis shaped miniguns are Valve going to have to trawl through to find anything good?

TheFacelessOne

Feb 13, 2009
Cpt_Oblivious said:
Now how many penis shaped miniguns are Valve going to have to trawl through to find anything good?
I was wondering that as well. Hopes go to you, Valve.

Seriously though, I hope we can see some good, creative items.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Cpt_Oblivious said:
At least 50% will be something along those lines I bet XD

Although this could bringa few good things out of it! Im certainly curious as to what people moght come up with!

Guy32

Jan 4, 2009
Cpt_Oblivious said:
Everyone else was quoting you, so I wanted to too.

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
I sense I'm going to get quoted a lot seeing as all other comments have at the time of typing.
Guy32 said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:
Everyone else was quoting you, so I wanted to too.
My point has been wonderfully proven.

Goldeneye1989

Deathwalker
Mar 9, 2009
if they up the drop rate or allow ways to ensure that you can get your hands on some of the items.

Can only be a good thing though

messy

Dec 3, 2008
Ahh user created content; although with a community that grew up with the g-mod floating around there may be more than the usual light smattering of "actually a good idea implemented well"

4RT1LL3RY

Oct 31, 2008
The bonk helm for scout was community made. There are quite a few good ones that I hope get made, engineer elvis hair is great too.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
Cpt_Oblivious said:
None, because a penis shaped minigun is the best idea ever! I'll start modeling it immediately.

blackshark121

Jan 4, 2009
I'm submitting a ripped-off tank head model for the heavy's mini-gun. It just sounds like something he would do.

shMerker

Oct 24, 2007
After they get done with the penis guns they'll have plenty of golden machine guns waiting for them too.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
This just doesn't sound too good, it will probably just lower the average quality if valve isn't strict about what they do and do not put it. I rather my stuff be made by professionals. I it would be an awesome idea if they made the official stuff have on average say, 20% drop rate and make this stuff the current hat drop rate, so they are rare and the official stuff is not impossibly hard to find. If they did that and had twice has many un-official ones with similar quality to the official ones I think it would be a good idea, but if they just add them to the current bunch of hats then the percentage of getting the hat you want would start dropping quickly with every hat they add.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
god i love valve, i may have grown sorta tired of their games but they do support them to death (yeah yeah i know, l4d)

FinalGamer

Mar 8, 2009
If I had the tech I could make the Scout a velociraptor.
And then the sniper can go "clever girl" when two ambush him.