Shadowbane Closing Down

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Shadowbane Closing Down

Shadowbane [http://chronicle.ubi.com/], the free-to-play PvP MMOG that launched in 2003, is shutting down.

Shadowbane was an early pioneer in PvP gameplay, focusing on player combat and guild warfare rather than instanced questing, with a dynamic design that allowed players to change the game world itself as the game evolved. In 2006 Shadowbane became free-to-play with costs supported by ads that run at various junctures such as start-up and on a player's death. In March 2008, on the fifth anniversary of the game's launch, all characters and assets were erased in a "reboot" designed to take advantage of new servers and improve the game's performance and stability.

"We come to you now with regret and sadness, but also happiness and pride," a farewell message posted on the Shadowbane website says. "Regret and sadness that it has finally come to this and as of May 1, 2009 the Shadowbane servers will be powered down once and for all. Yet happiness that it lasted so very long, and pride to be able to stand before such a passionate community to thank you for your undying support and unwavering loyalty to Shadowbane."

A brief history of the game and the obligatory thanks to the creators and players are included but the actual reason for Shadowbane's demise is left unmentioned. It's probably not a complicated tale - times are tough and belts are tightening - but we hope to have some details in the near future. In the meantime, read the full announcement and post your digital condolences (or outbursts of irrational rage, whatever tickles your fancy) here [http://chronicle.ubi.com/newspost.php?id=18535].

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
Why couldn't it say WoW Closing Down? Why?!

I've never heard of this game, but the death of any world is sad :(

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
Shadowbane was good times, and survived despite its many flaws where a lot of other games closed due to their fans and tenacious developers. Still some of the best online PvP I've ever had in one of the buggiest MMOs I've ever played.

http://www.gucomics.com/comic/?cdate=20060317 Needs an update I think.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Sad to see any game that broke the mold when it came out go away...

*cues rock power ballad*

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
I was there at launch. Shadowbane is why I started a guild and have spent the past 6 years in MMOs with roughly the same bunch of freaks. It was brutal. WoW kids just have no idea. Eve is the only thing that comes close, and I personally don't think it's been replaced.

It was buggy. It was laggy. It crashed all the time. But when you figured out everything and could put together a real build, 15 people could boil through 40 enemies with ease. I loved that game when I played it.

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
Rednog said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:
Why couldn't it say WoW Closing Down? Why?!
Because it would lead to real deaths.
That's possibly the most depressing thing about it. If WoW closed people would die.

Onyx Oblivion said:

*cues rock power ballad*
November Rain or Stairway to Heaven?

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
The Great JT said:
Head towards the WoW, children. All are welcome. All are welcome.
Leave me be evil one as I shall not enter your twisted world of darkness ever again!

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Cpt_Oblivious said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

*cues rock power ballad*
November Rain or Stairway to Heaven?
November Rain, I'm not much of an LZ fan, I'm not a hater either, though. But I live listening to Axl howl away.

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
SaintWaldo said:
It was buggy. It was laggy. It crashed all the time. But when you figured out everything and could put together a real build, 15 people could boil through 40 enemies with ease. I loved that game when I played it.
sounds like WAR

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Optimus Prime said:
I never knew it existed but I guess it's too late now.
Same here.

Regardless, its not a reaaaaally early poineer of PvP, the old MUDs would be an early poineer ;).

RiftZM2003

Mar 17, 2009
Shadowbane was truly epic. One of the most anticipated games of 2003, but launch was riddled with bugs and crashes that persisted for a long time. Still, most of the bugs and crashes were weeded out, and I was able to play for at least 2 months at a time without ever crashing. The game was laggy from time to time, usually due to massive outbreaks of PVP or a siege going on. Even still, most people who played the game loved it. Pure PVP at it's best. No 2 characters were ever the same. 2 Rogue Scouts, even of the same race were totally different, because the players were responsible for building the character, having a host of skills, abilities, and powers to choose from, as well as disceplinary runes that gave new abilities. There was maybe over several hundred thousand different ways to build just one character. Cities were built, maintained, defended, and destroyed in epic siege warfare from the players. I stopped playing Shadowbane 2 months ago because of financial hardships, and having to work 2 full time jobs just to keep from losing everything I owned, and my heart still sank when I read that news. Everyone knew it was coming, but it was still painful to read. Some of you may never get the chance to experience Shadowbane, unless it is taken over by a new publisher. If you should ever get a 2nd chance to play Shadowbane, or even play for the first time... It is a must. Kill or be killed is the main motto. You will die, repeatedly throughout your career. But you will also kill. You will be attached to your cities, because you invested so much into them. Even the lowly recruits grow attached to their cities and tried to protect them at all costs, because it was YOURS. Finally, I think the one thing I will never forget is the companionship of fellow guild and nation mates. These are the people you "hung out" with on a daily basis, who you farmed with to improve your cities, who stood by your side and triumphed or perished with you. These people helped level your characters or vice versa, as well as the people who taught you how to play, or the young apprentices you took under your wings and watched them blossom. I have played WoW, UO, EQ, DF, WAR, and DAoC... But Shadowbane was my fix. It was the one game you couldn't stay away from because it was so much fun, so addicting, and so very unique. In my opinnion, to date, there is not a better game out there, on any platform. It is a game that will be sorely missed, should it's legacy not continue. Like I said before... Should you get the chance to play Shadowbane, even if it is for just one week, you should give it a try. After all, it's free...

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
I only knew about it because I wanted to make a character named "Shadowbane", so I wiki'd it to see if anyone else had used it. And this game came up.

Oh well. They're gone now, and my character name is now valid again!

Sewer Rat

Sep 14, 2008
Never heard of it but that doesn't mean I can't come up with an in-game reason for the world suddenly imploding on itself... And I say, Dick Cheyney Traveled through a portal from our world to theirs and full of rage at the fact that he no longer controls the US government through G.W. Bush, released it in that world tearing it to shreds, and obliterating any sign that it ever existed.