Industry Vet Predicts Full Digital Distribution by 2011

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Industry Vet Predicts Full Digital Distribution by 2011

The international publishing director of 1C Company [http://www.1cpublishing.eu/] has rather boldly predicted that PC games will be sold "completely via digital" by the first quarter of 2011 and says that retailers have nobody to blame for it but themselves.

Darryl Still, who joined the large Russian publisher in 2007, thinks the PC gaming market is going digital in a big way. The growth in digital distribution is "phenomenal," he said, and much of the thanks for that ironically goes to the group that will suffer the most because of it: Videogame retailers who give short shrift to the PC market.

"If PC games manage to get listed at retail, then they're rarely getting any exposure because they're appearing at the back of the store," he said. "There is still demand, but retail is forcing PC games out. Digital is fantastic, and we're very pleased with it. But it is not us as the developers and publishers driving products to digital - it is because the options for the PC at retail are so limited."

For proof, Still said people need to simply walk into their local game store and check out the PC section, if there is one at all. The phenomenon is "extra strange," he said, "because there is a much better margin on PC games" than on console releases and the success of digital distribution proves the market for PC gaming is still going strong. "These consumers are now more than happy to click the download button," he said.

"Q1 2011 is my estimate as to when PC games will be sold completely via digital," he continued. "I have seen the predictions that by 2013 more than 50 per cent of our revenues will be earned digitally. But if the PC games market has to wait until 2013 then we are all in trouble."

He acknowledged that some challenges to a digital breakthrough remain, not least of which is figuring out which distribution platforms are going to emerge as success stories. "I feel like I am at the front of an express train, and every week we're adding an extra carriage at the back, which is a digital distributor. We have contracts with 25 of them at the moment, and of that amount six or seven are producing decent revenue numbers," he said. "And this year I know more carriages will be added on and others will be coming off the rails. The issue is we don't know which ones will succeed and which ones won't."

I'm pretty sure that the widespread adoption of digital distribution is facing more issues than just that, not to mention that the first quarter of 2011 is just a year away. Given that recent NPD sales figures found that 90 percent [http://www.allaboutthegames.co.uk/feature_story.php?article_id=10083] of videogames sold are boxed retail copies, it seems like an awfully tiny window for such a big transition.

Source: MCV

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
And then the console market will follow suit. To be honest I could have predicted this.
Though he does give good reasons I hadn't thought of.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Nah, it could never go fully digital... at least not yet, while there are still people who cannot, or will not, buy games online and download.
I'd rather buy in the shop. Then some glitch in the program won't make my money disappear ...

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
ahhh well this sucks... I like having games physical. I mean if its all digital then no Collectors edtion (i.e metal casing, art book...)

Feb 13, 2008
If the Industry needs a Vet, I just hope it's not ready to be put to sleep.

Ba-Dum-Tsch.

Anyway, I put this idea in the same place as the paper-free office and the three day working week. Filed under Y for "Yeaaaaaahh...sure..."

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
That's a shame. I really like reading instruction books (you'd be amazing how interesting they can be in the right circumstances)

Apr 28, 2008
I really, really hope he's not right.

If he is then it looks like I won't be able to buy games for my PC anymore, since my internet connection sucks major ass, and they don't offer anything better than "fast" dial-up.

Ever try to download anything on a 20 kb/s connection? Its painfull.

Took me about 2 months to download Mass Effect off Steam...

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
PayJ567 said:
Macgyvercas said:
That's a shame. I really like reading instruction books (you'd be amazing how interesting they can be in the right circumstances)
When your waiting for the game to install? Or when your walking home?
Picture more along the lines of boring social functions

mightybozz

Aug 20, 2009
He's too early. There'll probably come a time when the majority of PC titles go via digital, but never all. There's too much security in having an actual product in your hands with which you can trade. Same reason CDs and to a lesser extent the reason vinyl still thankfully exist despite music downloads.

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
I have hated game stores for just too long now. The theft of pre order codes and then the resale of them just going on as per.

Digital Distribution is just the way to go. We arent paying for stores that have no interest in PC users instead we are putting money into distributors like Valve etc that will allow us to put even more money directly into the industry we love instead of a retailer we hate.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
Isn't it a bit obvious which digital distribution service is going to come out on top? Steam, valve are gonna be rich if this comes true.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
God I hate Digital Distribution, why the fuck is everyone else so jazzed about it! I like actually owning my games instead of "borrowing them" at the distributors discretion.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
I've found the irony of digital distribution is that it's now often cheaper to get games from retail sites like Amazon, play etc than off DD-sites like Steam

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
If the Industry needs a Vet, I just hope it's not ready to be put to sleep.

Ba-Dum-Tsch.

Anyway, I put this idea in the same place as the paper-free office and the three day working week. Filed under Y for "Yeaaaaaahh...sure..."
He is a bit over-dramatic but he is right about retailers phasing out the PC sections. People are quick to blame piracy for the decline of PC gaming, but the stores which more and more refuse to sell them contribute too and not by a small amount for sure.

pneuma08

Gaming Connoisseur
Sep 10, 2008
So it's the retailers' faults for putting them in small sections in the back. It's not, say, the consumers' faults for not buying them in disc format, or the publishers' faults for invasive DRM and CD keys that take a stab at the secondary market, or for pushing the retail price point that they do. It isn't the big box stores like Wal-Mart that undercut prices at the local stores, either.

Methinks the author may be jumping to conclusions here.