Hindu Organizations Protest PS2 Game

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Hindu Organizations Protest PS2 Game

Controversy is building over a PS2 game just released in India in which players control Hanuman, a revered Hindu deity, with multiple Hindu organizations worldwide calling for the game to be removed from store shelves.

Hanuman [http://in.playstation.com/ps2/games/hanuman-boy-warrior/index.html], a fabled Hindu deity. From what we can gather from Sony's description of the game, it sounds like your typical action game: you start with basic powers, then unlock weapons and special techniques like "The Slam of the Gods," which sounds like something straight out of God of War.

In God of War, we have no problem killing the gods of Western mythology, because, for the majority of Western society, very few people believe in them. That's not the story for Hanuman - plenty of Hindus across the world believe in and worship the characters populating this game, and they're not happy with it at all. A number of organizations are protesting the game, calling for its removal.

Hindus statesman Rajan Zed [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rajan_Zed] has led the outcry, saying that the game "trivialized the highly revered deity of Hinduism." Zed, who is the president of the Universal Society of Hinduism, has argued that the commercial use of any Hindu figures or stories is unacceptable, as it's hurtful to Hindu devotees.

Beyond Zed, the Hanuman protest has gained support in Australia, where Vamsi Krishna of the organization Sanatan Sanstha [http://www.sanatan.org/] has spoken out against it. Hanuman: Boy Warrior, Krishna said, is "very disrespectful, disgraceful and an insult" and Sony should "remove this videogame with immediate effect...before this causes further unrest in the Hindu community worldwide and issue an apology to all those who have been hurt by this insensitiveness."

Bhavna Shinde of the Forum for Hindu Awakening also called for Sony to cease publishing the game and for retailers to stop selling it. She also requested that Sony issue an apology to "the Hindu community and Hanuman devotees worldwide."

Hanuman is a major figure in the Hindu epic The Ramayana [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramayana], in which he leads an army of monkeys to fight an evil demon king.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
I suppose they'd probably be REALLY pissed if anyone ever made a game based off of Lord of Light I gather.

bodyklok

Feb 17, 2008
I believe in free speech so, I think they can go shove it really. However if India is really that upset about it then they can ban it.

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
Oh lord. This is why we really shouldn't make video games that let play as a real god/entity.
Games like Black & White let play as a god but they don't specify which god you're playing as.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Honestly, did no-one in the developers stop to think 'Hmm, this may piss people off'. It'd be like having a game where you play as Jesus doing...I dunno, stuff.

As for God of war, I doubt anyone believes in the Olympian gods anymore (I could be wrong, but I'm sure orthodox christianity is the primary religion over in Greece these days, and anyone else who believed in them is long gone).

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Anyone leading an army of monkeys is already looking ridiculous/awesome, so I can't see a problem with this game making him look powerful and mighty. Then again, I'm not a world authority on religion, but I can still see where they are coming from. They're aren't any games where you play as Jesus and go around God of War style, and this is their God.

Mr.Bubbles43

Jul 23, 2008
Quick someone made a videogame based on something I believe in. I now have two options completely ignore it as it has no effect on my beliefs at all or have a hissy fit.

Who am I kidding there is only one option and that is to have a hissy fit.

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
Terminalchaos said:
ssgt splatter said:
Oh lord. This is why we really shouldn't make video games that let play as a real god/entity.
Games like Black & White let play as a god but they don't specify which god you're playing as.
No - we need MORE games that depict deities.
Why?

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Always was a 'fan' of the Ramayana; but if it does picture the epic battles of Hanuman, I really don't see how it can be offensive, considered monkey boy was on the "good side" although I much preferred the "Demons" characters for some reasons > . >

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Terminalchaos said:
Should pagans that happen to worship the Greek deities start freaking out over God of War. Same thing - if you can depict one deity in a game you have the right to depict whatever deity you want. some people still believe int hose deities and they have the right to be offended too. Actually scratch that - both games have the right to exist and anyone that whines about them should be ignored.
I'm fairly sure pagans tend towards the worship of the old Celtic gods, rather than the classical Greek ones. I'm also fairly sure the Greek ones are no longer worshipped at all. More cultural history than religious identity. Also, I'm fairly unfamilar with the God of War series, so correct me if I get the plot wrong, but isn't it the case that you play as a Spartan? Not a god? Even then, the old Greek gods where pretty murderious and blood thristy to each other, and probably wouldn't be out of character for them.

damselgaming

Feb 3, 2009
They should just throw all their eggs in one basket and put all the Gods into some crazy beat-em-up game. It would be awesome.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Terminalchaos said:
ssgt splatter said:
Terminalchaos said:
ssgt splatter said:
No - we need MORE games that depict deities.
Why?
Because we can - because we have the right to - because of the basic principles involved. By their logic April Fool's Day should be pulled because it offensively denigrates certain pagan traditions.
You are aware that the pagans are long dead? And before you go 'but but I have pagan friends', let me point out that modern pagans are not the same people, culturally or genetically, as the original pagans.

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
Terminalchaos said:
Because we can - because we have the right to - because of the basic principles involved. By their logic April Fool's Day should be pulled because it offensively denigrates certain pagan traditions.
Wait, what's the thing about April Fool's Day?