Joss Whedon Looks Back Over Dollhouse

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Joss Whedon Looks Back Over Dollhouse

As the sci-fi drama wraps up later this month, Joss Whedon takes a look back over the ill-fated Dollhouse [http://www.amazon.com/Dollhouse-Season-One-Eliza-Dushku/dp/B0024FAR66/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1280784145&sr=1-2].

Joss Whedon has not a great deal of luck in his dealings with Fox, with the cancellation of Dollhouse marking the second time one of his shows has been taken off the air prematurely, following the untimely demise of Space-Western Firefly.

Dollhouse had a much rockier start than its older sibling however, with lackluster viewing figures and mixed reviews. Despite these obstacles, the show was renewed for a second series, but the plug soon got pulled, with the final episode airing later this month.

Whedon himself seems to be taking the end of Dollhouse fairly well, and seems to be viewing it as a learning experience: "We are wrapped, and I have finalized the cut of the last episode. I just have to mix it," Whedon said. "I've already packed up my office. It's terribly sad, but I do like the last episode. So there's that."

"The only regrets I have about it are the things I didn't do right ... I just look back and go, 'I wish I had figured some things out a little earlier.' But that's all the time I have for regret. It is what it is," he added.

Whedon also made it clear that Dollhouse would not be coming back as a comic, as happened with Buffy the Vampire Slayer. "I don't think it's a comic ... There are themes in it and ideas that could work in a comic, but for me to spend the amount of time it would take keeping the comic true to what's already out there when I'm already doing that with Buffy would be a ridiculous waste of my time ... It just makes no sense to do a comic with Dollhouse.' I don't get it, and I'm not sure I'd read it."

Source: CBR [http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=24437]

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Joss Wheadon said:
The only regrets I have about it are the things I didn't do right
Like picking a shitty producer like FOX? I'm sorry, but I have never felt sorry for Joss when he chooses an idiotic producer for his shows.
Don't get me wrong, I like me some Joss Wheadon, but what I don't like is him choosing bad producers and getting his shows cancelled.

Maybe if all of the planets properly align and conspire for the good of the world, Joss's next show will be produced by someone like MGM.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Looks like he dosnt have much kluck with Fox. Never saw Dollhouse so really dont have much to say other than I feel bad for Joss. hes good at what he does, it just seems its not mainsteam enough for the public to want it...

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Why the hell does Whedon keep going back to Fox? He comes up with great stuff, most notably Firefly (in my opinion anyway), and then they keep cancelling his shows? Fox obviously don't appreciate him, so why doesn't he just take his work to another big network like ABC, NBC, PBS (no, scratch that last one...), or the like? Somewhere where he's more likely to get some decent support and whatnot...

Quad08

Oct 18, 2009
Tough luck Mr Wheadon. Sometimes you get it, and sometimes you have a idiotic producer

ParadoxBG

Dec 24, 2009
Ha! Another Whedon show I'm probably not going to get into until after it's over.

Everyone's saying poor Joss...what about Eliza Dushku? She's always been successful as a supporting character, but anytime she gets the lead it seems to flop (this and Tru Calling, meh).

Arsen

Nov 26, 2008
Thank God. This show was horrible, Dushku was a horrible actress, and it was more proof that modern day film makers and all the sorts don't know how to make quality shows.

Let's not jump on the blame Fox band wagon again.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
Joss Wheadon said:
Like picking a shitty producer like FOX? I'm sorry, but I have never felt sorry for Joss when he chooses an idiotic producer for his shows.
Don't get me wrong, I like me some Joss Wheadon, but what I don't like is him choosing bad producers and getting his shows cancelled.

Maybe if all of the planets properly align and conspire for the good of the world, Joss's next show will be produced by someone like MGM.
it's not FOX's fault the show kinda sucked, it took way too long to go anywhere good and frankly wasn't nearly as good as Firefly. i know everyone has a hardon for Joss, however let's face facts that the show sucked and it wasn't FOX's fault, it was Joss's, heck even Firefly wasn't overly great compared to other shows.

as for him going to MGM, that's an even worse. look at what happened with JMS and Jeremiah

Jan 22, 2008
Given that he's tried numerous times with fox, I have the feeling that Whedon is somehow blacklisted by every other network for some reason. he wouldnt keep going back to those bastards if there was any other option.

Fox has an infamous reputation for sh1t-canning shows they think are underperforming or accumulating a strong fringe fandom. I think they're deathly afraid of having nerds and fanboys watch their cannel and drive away red-blooded retard 'MERYCANS.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
cleverlymadeup said:
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
Joss Wheadon said:

it's not FOX's fault the show kinda sucked, it took way too long to go anywhere good and frankly wasn't nearly as good as Firefly. i know everyone has a hardon for Joss, however let's face facts that the show sucked and it wasn't FOX's fault, it was Joss's, heck even Firefly wasn't overly great compared to other shows.

as for him going to MGM, that's an even worse. look at what happened with JMS and Jeremiah
Let it never be said that I have a hard-on for Joss.
Let it be said that I have a hard-on for Brad Wright.

Well if Joss went to MGM when he did Firefly I would put money on Firefly still being alive. Hell Stargate was on MGM, and even though not a lot of people know about it (I'm talking about SG-1 and Atlantis mind you) it was an incredibly successful show.

Sven78

May 27, 2009
ParadoxBG said:
Ha! Another Whedon show I'm probably not going to get into until after it's over.
The same is true for me - after a friend recommended Firefly to me, I bought the series and the movie on DVD two weeks ago. Extremely entertaining, and cut off far to soon.

As for Dollhouse: the first episodes were rather boring (probably needed to introduce all characters, etc.) and the nemesis Alpha was rather disappointing, but it got me interested enough to look forward to Season 2.

Oh well, can't be helped.

ParadoxBG

Dec 24, 2009
Sven78 said:
ParadoxBG said:
The same is true for me - after a friend recommended Firefly to me, I bought the series and the movie on DVD two weeks ago. Extremely entertaining, and cut off far to soon.

As for Dollhouse: the first episodes were rather boring (probably needed to introduce all characters, etc.) and the nemesis Alpha was rather disappointing, but it got me interested enough to look forward to Season 2.

Oh well, can't be helped.
Yeah. If there's a fault in Whedon's storytelling, it's starting off slow.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Damn, a shame. I don't have a hard-on for Whedon, but I always hate to see a good show go down. Dollhouse was one of the pleasant suprises I got my hands on last year and I very much enjoyed it. Ah well, I still haven't seen the second season, will have to look it up one of these days...

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
The biggest problem with Dollhouse was that there was too much filler and it took too long for anything to happen. On the DVDs there's the original pilot episode and I think the series could have had a stronger start if they'd used it. Not sorry its ending though as Eliza Dushku really annoys me for some reason.

the_tramp

May 16, 2008
I loved the Epitaph 1 (S1E13) and am eagerly awaiting Epitaph 2 (S2E13), if that doesn't complete that story arc we could always hope for a film a-la Serenity.

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
Joss Wheadon said:
Yeah, my sentiments exactly. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice...

Gruchul

Aug 30, 2009
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
Hell Stargate was on MGM, and even though not a lot of people know about it (I'm talking about SG-1 and Atlantis mind you) it was an incredibly successful show.
SG-1 was a huge and well-known show with a big following so I'm not really sure where you're coming from here.