Venezuelan President Bashes Gaming

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Venezuelan President Bashes Gaming

Hugo Chávez, the fiercly anti-capitalist president of Venezuela, has turned his sights onto the 'poison' that is gaming.

Hugo Chávez, President of Venezuela and enemy of capitalism, has lashed out at gaming today. Speaking on his talk show Aló Presidente, he said: "Those games they call 'PlayStation' are poison ... Some games teach you to kill. They once put my face on a game, 'you've got to find Chavez to kill him.'" While Chávez specifically names the PlayStation, it seems reasonable to assume that he meant it to encompass all games.

Chávez - and the Venezuelan government's - opposition to videogames is long standing, with accusations that Pandemic Studio's Mercenaries 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Mercenaries-2-World-Flames-Xbox-360/dp/B000QCU9I0/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1280783880&sr=1-1] was propaganda to prepare the way for an invasion of the country, and a ban on violent games [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95951-Venezuela-Bans-Violent-Videogames] recently coming into effect the country. According to Chávez, videogames have a significant negative influence, even beyond their nasty habit of apparently encouraging people to kill him: "[Games] promote the need for cigarettes, drugs and alcohol so they can sell them." The 'they' in that sentence would refer to us capitalists by the way.

In the grand scheme of things, hating videogames is one the least bad things that Chávez has done, limiting free speech and constantly attacking the West being markedly worse, but it's just another thing to add to the list of reasons to not like him all that much.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5450754/venezuelan-president-says-games-are-poison]

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
I think rather than ban videogames, the solution would be to ban Hugo Chavez from Venezuela.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Funny thing is, his country is going to hell with all of the murder and violence and he's trying to blame anything that isn't bad government.

Even images on a screen.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Yeah it was fun to play Mercs 2 in Venezuela even if most of the game was crap, but I guess Pandemic was looking for an overseas country that no one cared about and set their game in it.

I'm just saying.

Batfred

Nov 11, 2009
Does Atkinson translate into Chavez in some dialect of Venezuelan Spanish?

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
"Rebellion against oppression" anyone? You can never have enough revolutions.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Damn pandemic for giving away our invasion plans involving a large tattooed Swedish guy with a Mohawk and a pocket full of C4.

That's why they where secretly killed, or "Shut Down" as they say in the development community.

messy

Dec 3, 2008
This is Venezuela though so odds are revolution is on the horizon. Who knows the next leader may have player mercs 2 and choose to implement a similar plan

Kathinka

Jan 17, 2010
though i can understand that he is not quite fond of western civilization in general and the u.s. and its vasals especially for generation-long invading, misusing, exploiting and overthowing southamerican countries, that is just nuts. i think it's save to say that the effect of banning the games on the country will be somewhere arround the neighborhood of ze-ro^^

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
thenumberthirteen said:
Damn pandemic for giving away our invasion plans involving a large tattooed Swedish guy with a Mohawk and a pocket full of C4.
You left out the grappling hook gun so he can steal helicopters, that part is integral to the plan.

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
You know, I used to like Chavez, but now I see that he's just a spaz and a wannabe dictator. He's not even good at controlling his country, and he blames everything on everybody else that he can.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
Chávez - and the Venezuelan government's - opposition to videogames is long standing, with accusations that Pandemic Studio's Mercenaries 2 was propaganda to prepare the way for an invasion of the country
That is one of the most ellaborate and greatest excuses ive ever heard.
How long until Atkinson uses this one?

Kathinka

Jan 17, 2010
wooty said:
Logan Westbrook said:
Chávez - and the Venezuelan government's - opposition to videogames is long standing, with accusations that Pandemic Studio's Mercenaries 2 was propaganda to prepare the way for an invasion of the country
That is one of the most ellaborate and greatest excuses ive ever heard.
How long until Atkinson uses this one?
depends. what time is it in australia?^^

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
AceDiamond said:
thenumberthirteen said:
You left out the grappling hook gun so he can steal helicopters, that part is integral to the plan.
God Damn It Shut Up!!!

We've still got that Black guy on stand by.

ma55ter_fett

Oct 6, 2009
messy said:
This is Venezuela though so odds are revolution is on the horizon. Who knows the next leader may have player mercs 2 and choose to implement a similar plan
Lets hope not, a modern day Venezuela that looks like mercs 2 is not a good thing.