Female Gamer "Sexually Assaulted" While Playing PS3

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Female Gamer "Sexually Assaulted" While Playing PS3

The roommate of a female player claims that her avatar was "sexually assaulted" while inhabiting the PlayStation 3's free social space, Home.

On December 22, 2009, PlayStation forum member Whoef posted a story describing how his female roommate was harassed while she was participating in the puzzle games associated with Home's Winter Wonderland event. The unnamed harasser followed the woman's avatar around incessantly near the Festive Tree and used the crouch emote, ostensibly to position his avatar near her backside. Whoef claimed that this behavior was sexual in nature and demanded that Home have some way to combat such behavior. An Australian newspaper picked up the story today and opined that just because such attacks occurred in a game, that doesn't mean that they aren't real.

"My roommate was sexually assaulted near the Festive Tree while she was helping others with the puzzle," said Whoef in his post [http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3home&message.id=858859#M858859]. "She would move and the harasser would follow. Each time trying to get behind her and use the crouch gesture. This apparently went on for some time."

He went on:

If sexual assault and other crimes against users, it seems predominantly against women, is allowed to continue, at the very least Home is going to turn into an all male application. Worse, Home is going to lose a lot of money. Starting right now with my roommate's.

She hasn't decided whether she will go back into Home. At this point she is rather disappointed with the whole thing and I don't blame her at all.

Quoted in the January 18th edition of the Daily Telegraph of Australia, Dr. Jessica Wolfendale said that "A lot of people in these games don't draw a strong distinction between the avatar and themselves. When you read accounts of people who are involved with [multiplayer] games, they say things like 'I was hurt' and 'I was insulted' when they are talking about attacks on their avatar." Wolfendale is a postdoctoral research fellow at the University of Melbourne's public ethics center.

Source: Daily Telegraph [http://www.videogamer.com/news/ps3_home_player_sexually_assaulted_roommate_claims.html]

LoopyDood

Dec 13, 2008
I'm going to have to agree with her that it's damn annoying when somebody does something like that, but it just seems some people are constantly looking for excuses to complain about things.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
[HEADING=1]NOT THE CROUCH EMOTE![/HEADING]

Seriously, this isn't sexual assault. This is some douchebag being an idiot and thinking that he's funny.

Mighty Lighty

Mar 23, 2009
The thing is home did everything it promised and everyone thought it would be awesome, but when it came outit sucked

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
What The Fuck. Seriously people, if this is sexual assualt then everyone who's played Halo 3 online has been sexually assualted repeatedly.

Srcruls

Jul 13, 2009
This is good for fanboys. "You could tea bag on the xbox first" :D

But this is just silly. You dont file murder charges when your killed in a game, so why file sexual harasment charges for your game avatar.

Guestowel

Oct 9, 2008
I don't go crying when someone kills me and then starts t-bagging my lifeless corpse. This is kind of rediculous

Epitome

Jul 17, 2009
I disagree with this. Your avatar is a digital extension of yourself to be sure but we cant start confering human emotions and capabilities on them, your avatar is no more capable of sexual assault in say Home than he is of murder in an FPS. Griefing has been around for aslong as multiplayer and so long as people can have anonymity and interaction your going to get assholes. So somebody followed her around and made a crouch gesture, to call it sexual assault to me cheapens the term and is an insult to women who have been sexually assaulted. Imagine this woman showed up at a support meeting and claimed there she had been sexually assaulted the people would be disgusted.

steevee

Apr 16, 2008
Bah, it's stupid people like this that give people who hate gaming ammunition.
Both of them, the douchebag shouldn't be a douchebag.
And the 'Victim' should grow up a bit, I mean. An Emote?!?! What next, complaining abou assault in CoD!?

Earthmonger

Apple Blossoms
Feb 10, 2009
Oh noes! She was griefed in a virtual world! Lordie protect us! What new low has the internet sunken to??!@11

GTFO.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Arrrm, how about trying to report the stalker? You know, before going to the press.

The only thing this is going to promote is more jackasses logging into Home for crouch-marathons. Infact I might do that just now. JK.

Tiny116

The Cheerful Pessimist
May 6, 2009
Isn't that why there is supposed to be a "Kick" Option???
It solves these problems rather well.

But yes It was innapropriate to do that, yet I fail to see how it wasn't easy to ignore?

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
I got sexually assaulted on COD. Stop Tea bagging me!
Also, this kind of thing happens everyday on Habbo Hotel.. and they're just 11 year olds!

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
The guy who was doing that is a jerk, and it'd be nice if there was the equivalent of an ignore button, but equating behavior like this to sexual assault is absurd and kind of insulting to people who have actually been victimized. The "roommate" (Yeah, right. You're a dude with a female avatar. It's okay, man) is correct in his assertion that allowing this to continue makes it a less female-friendly environment.

Unfortunately, the argument that Sony is losing money by allowing behavior that discourages females from using Home falls flat. Sony won't lose money because Home is hostile to females. They'll lose money on Home because Home is really stupid.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Annoying? Frustrating? Juvenile? Idiotic? Perhaps breaking the TOS?
Absolutely, 100%.

Sexual Assault?
No.

I don't doubt the guy was annoying, and she shouldn't have to quit or log out due to harassment, and obviously Sony needs to do something in terms of moderation of avoidance of these things (I recommend an 'ignore' Feature that makes the offending player and the 'victim' invisible to each other), but to call this 'sexual assault' is a step too far.

electric_warrior

Oct 5, 2008
He crouched!
Then followed her?
How awful!
Where?
A game??
Really?
And this is a huge problem because....
Oh get over it.