EA Says Critic Should "Try Decaf"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EA Says Critic Should "Try Decaf"

Electronic Arts [http://www.ea.com] says Mitch Lasky, the former EA executive who recently criticized the company by saying it's "in the wrong business," should try drinking decaffeinated coffee instead.

Lasky, formerly the executive vice president of he said [http://www.eamobile.com/home]. "Think again."

But EA isn't taking that kind of trash-talk lying down, at least not from a guy who they clearly believe (or at least imply) is just shooting his mouth off because he's mad about being passed over for the top job in favor of John Riccitiello. "Mitch needs to try decaf," said Jeff Brown, head of corporate communications at Electronic Arts. "It's never easy being turned down for a job, but most people don't spend three years obsessing about it. Since Mitch left EA, Apple invented the iPhone, Facebook evolved to include a gaming platform and EA Mobile became the world leader."

Not the most politically-phrased response, perhaps, but under the circumstances it's hard to blame Brown for venting a little frustration. Quite possibly adding to that is the fact that Lasky made some very good arguments for why he thinks EA has missed the boat.

"EA has in the past three years invested in a bunch of interesting original IP and has vastly improved product quality. They have many compelling packaged goods games in the pipeline. From a consumer's perspective, there's a lot to be said for that, and many of the comments I have gotten have been centered around EA's turn-around from the hard core gamer's perspective. They have created a ton of goodwill with core gamers," he wrote in a follow-up post on his personal blog [http://bizpunk.blogspot.com/2010/01/packaged-goods.html].

"My point was not about whether Dead Space [http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Space-Playstation-3/dp/B000X1TC0U/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1280783553&sr=1-1] was a good game or not. It is," he continued. "But it's largely irrelevant, a bit like winning a hand at a blackjack table in Vegas. The odds are stacked against you long-term. And this is my view of the packaged goods business. We can argue about how long it's going to take, but at some point in the not-too-distant future, the packaged goods games business is going the way of music CDs and books. You may still be buying games for $50 and downloading them (although I kind of doubt that will be the winning model). But one way or another, the games BUSINESS is going to transform into an e-commerce business."

In fact, Riccitiello's echoed Lasky's comments in a call to investors following the company's third quarter financial statement, when he admitted that the company's turnaround is going to take longer than expected [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97404-EA-Comeback-Taking-Longer-Than-Expected]. "What we've described as a two-year comeback is clearly taking longer," he said. "But... I think we've got the right strategies going forward and the right team executing them."

Feb 13, 2008
That's a lot of metaphors. Almost as if he was up against the Paxman.

If you're not in trouble then EA, how come we keep hearing about your staff-butchering?

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
It'll be interesting to see who's right when Riccitiello's grand plan pans out (or doesn't). It always amazes me how few people take a long term view in business, especially in games where it take 2 years+ to make a 'big' title and more than that to get a franchise up and running.
Although it's hard to see them passing ActiBliz to be number 1 again, it'll only take a few years of Actibliz becoming complacent and producing same game franchises for them to come crashing down like EA did. We just need to see it happen.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
darthzew said:
You know, as much as I dislike EA Games... I like the way he handled this.
Same here, its like corporate flame wars...pretty entertaining to watch

AkJay

Feb 22, 2009
I know this may not be relevant to the story, but that picture is giving me vertigo...

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
I want to pass off everything he said and just have a hissy fit in a corner saying "I hate you and your securom".

I'll resist.

Also, Corporate flame wars are funny stuff.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Thanks for the screenshot. Now I want to replay ME, but I can't because I'm too busy playing ME to get ready for the sequel.

On-topic: I honestly thought this would be about EA telling this site's famously fast-talking critic to try decaf.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
Ok, Riccitiello is my hero now. Just responding that someone who's crtical of his business practices should "Try Decaf Coffee from now on" is probably my favorite "talk to the hand" moment ever.

honestly, I need to write that quote down, and remember its context because it's great.

At least Riccitiello has a sense of humor, unlike his business nemesis, Bobby Kotick. Kotick boldly intends to remove all happiness from the world, he's like the Galactic Emperor.

Jul 11, 2008
lol, they are in the wrong business it really dissapoints me when a good developer end up with EA publishing becuase you know that you're going to get stuck with DRM and piss poor tech support (which you almost always end up needing)

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
Fuck yeah EA!

You better start working on you awesome things, you have a whole lot a history to work off.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Lasky may have some things that sound credible, but what sticks to my mind is that the cuts that EA did occured after this guy left. If the tree is dying, you don't just keep feeding it fertilizer and hope for the best, you prune the dead and dying parts. And if Brown is correct at saying EA mobile is doing much better, then considering that was Lasky's job, I would have to say that he got passed over for good reason.
Like I said before, a CEO of a videogame publisher who is more excited about games is more important than one who only worries about the bottom line. If you stare at the bottom line, you aren't going to be anywhere else.
Next step: putting Activision back in the competitive grid.

phlegethonic

Apr 4, 2009
I absolutely approve of the way that this was handled; it's very easy for a guy who jumped ship when EA stopped re-releasing sequels to criticize.
I like how EA and Activision switched roles; now Activision is the evil game-milking empire, and EA is the one progressing gaming as an art form.

jimduckie

Mar 4, 2009
gee how long is ea going to keep fighting ?

it shows that they still want to make games , and don't want to go away

Shru1kan

Dec 10, 2009
darthzew said:
You know, as much as I dislike EA Games... I like the way he handled this.
I'm glad someone is finally speaking their mind in the business, not worrying about fallout from any of it.

If everyone else was blunt and to the point, maybe we'd get some work done in this world instead of everyone walking around with brown noses.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
Altorin said:
Ok, Riccitiello is my hero now. Just responding that someone who's crtical of his business practices should "Try Decaf Coffee from now on" is probably my favorite "talk to the hand" moment ever.

honestly, I need to write that quote down, and remember its context because it's great.

At least Riccitiello has a sense of humor, unlike his business nemesis, Bobby Kotick. Kotick boldly intends to remove all happiness from the world, he's like the Galactic Emperor.

That wasn't Riccitiello, that was Jeff Brown who told Lasky to drink decaf. Riccitiello is the idiot they put in charge who can't keep his mouth shut about anything, including telling investors that TOR will be released in 2011.....BEFORE Bioware said anything. In fact, it looked like Bioware went "WTF" and then had to rush and do a press release saying that yes they would be pushed back to 2011.

Makes me wonder if they hadn't planned a '10 release but EA didn't want it to show on their 2011 fiscal year and so pushed it back.