237: The Tao of Leveling

Brett Staebell

May 4, 2009
The Tao of Leveling

Brett Staebell has played enough RPGs to indirectly gain thousands of levels. But when a Japanese monk inquired about his own character progression, he was forced to confront some shaky assumptions on what it means to level up in the Game of Life.

Read Full Article

LittleMikey

Renegade
Aug 31, 2009
Wow... That actually stopped and made me think...

Personally, i'd say I'm about level 18. Developed, but still no where near good enough to fight the final boss. I need to grind some more.

*EDIT*

Level ≠ Age. It's more then that.

Mortars

May 24, 2009
Duuuuuuuuude... That was some totally epic shit right there.

I´d say I´m lvl 16-ish

Dhatz

Aug 18, 2009
I also have thought what would represent levels in RL. You can't judge people by age,however some would certainly put a lot meaning to how long is one doing one profession.

the_lollipop_dragon

Nov 8, 2009
What level you are would all depend on what system you are using. In my gaming experience I think the GURPS system would be the best for this.

Also a friend had a zombie acopalypse game where he got his friends to make characters of themselves and the game setting was our home town. It was neat.

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
I can honestly say that not only do I not know my level, I don't want to know it.

That proabably stems from my belief that once you clearly define yourself you tend o limit yourself.

The Infinite

Mar 30, 2009
Damn that's a really thought provoking article right there. I am thoroughly intrigued and will probably spend the night thinking of what level I actually am. I could probably break down my minor skills/professions, since that's rather easy to do but overall level is a hard thing to do.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Anoctris said:
It all depends on how you measure your own self-worth, and that is subjective to the individual.
Agreed. One mans level 45 may be another mans level 22. Its all subjective to the individual and think that makes it all the better.

It means only you can truly decide where you would fall into the categories, and where you could end up been on there.

Honestly, I dont know if I could ascertain my level, not so quickly anyway. Its poses a really deep question, and, perhaps once I have thought about it more I could offer some kind or rough estimate.

On an additional note...the Cactaur joke cracked me up!

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I'm about level 24.

I'm still figuring things out in college, and my class is "Wants to go into radio for a living"-mancer.

ckeymel

Jun 24, 2008
Moriarty70 said:
I can honestly say that not only do I not know my level, I don't want to know it.

That proabably stems from my belief that once you clearly define yourself you tend o limit yourself.
IMO, as ever changing beings any definition you apply to yourself only holds true for that moment. The second you take your next step, you are already a step stronger (or weaker, depending on the step!) than you previously were.

DeviousJ

Nov 9, 2009
Wow, this is deep...
I think I am at level 9 probably because I'm going to college soon and it's certainly a serious level. I have to choose how I set my skill points and I don't now rather I should go warrior or mage... And it doesn't help when a level 85 tells you everything was better before the new patch.

Batfred

Nov 11, 2009
"The alternative would involve you gradually mastering Fireball in tiny increments. Perhaps the first 10 times you cast the spell, you smoke up like a chimney without the fire. Maybe then you manage to conjure a few sparks or singe enemies with a candle-like flare, but a Great Chicago Fire-esque conflagration is still a long way away."

Now that would be an intersting RPG. Some skills in JRPGs work a little like this, but they are so lame compared to the fully learnt skills that no one really bothers with them (that I know of in the west anyway). I would like to see more of this dev bods.

Nocta-Aeterna

Aug 3, 2009
I think I'm lvl 11-ish.. I guess.

Hehe, Economancer.. that makes me an umm... Physard?

EDIT:
Batfred said:
"The alternative would involve you gradually mastering Fireball in tiny increments. Perhaps the first 10 times you cast the spell, you smoke up like a chimney without the fire. Maybe then you manage to conjure a few sparks or singe enemies with a candle-like flare, but a Great Chicago Fire-esque conflagration is still a long way away."

Now that would be an intersting RPG. Some skills in JRPGs work a little like this, but they are so lame compared to the fully learnt skills that no one really bothers with them (that I know of in the west anyway). I would like to see more of this dev bods.
I believe Morrowind had something like this, but a little less sophisticated. Your spells had a chance to fail based on your skill level. The lower the skill, the higher the chance of failure.

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
Level hmm... 12 maybe

I wonder how many people know how to pronounce Tao?

Cubilone

Jan 14, 2009
There can never be a single level system for life... In RPGs, levels are used to show your power, how much time you've spent with the game etc. In life, there is no set goal and therefore no level 99. Levels are also used for comparison under a specific system: a level 30 will always be more powerful than a level 20. Can this really be applied in real life?