Yes, They're Gamers, Too

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Yes, They're Gamers, Too

Are people really still getting their knickers in a twist over who calls themselves a "gamer"? Really?

Read Full Article

Hobo Joe

Aug 4, 2009
It all seems very 'No true Scotsman' to me - however I don't like to think some people are 'gamers' myself; are you a gamer if you play online chess?

Jun 6, 2009
Those required measures to be a true gamer are beyond Bizzaro.

A game is a game. You can call it what you want, but when a person plays that game it's now an act of gaming, making them a "gamer".

And don't worry Susan. Everyone else sucks at Megaman too.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
I suck at Megaman too. I can't even beat number 2. I mean, I got to like the third stage of Wiley's castle, but...

Then I played Megaman 9. I can safely say, fuck that shit. I don't need that much stress in my life. I have exams for that.

TheLegend84

Aug 11, 2009
I think it's funny that a whole swath of people that play Farmville probably don't consider themselves to be gamers.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
That other guys article was stupid. He's an idiot and an elitist. Screw him.

I won't start about my own definition for a "real gamer", but it's certainly much more simple.

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
A Gamer in my view, is merely a person who plays games and researches before purchases. (most of the time)

Though I do concede that the "fight" so to speak is over.

Though non "Gamers" (by my definition) that prance around calling themselves a gamer, and then saying they are a GREATER gamer then I (at this point it's a pissing contest) annoys me to no end.

I've met many a self proclaimed gamer that has never heard of Megaman, nor do they even know what "Ubisoft" or "Ea Games" are. Sadly in my experience this tends to be console gamers. Although if you're right here reading this you are not in that category for obvious reasons. (You're reading gaming news and articles, proof enough.)

I admit it's childish, but alas it's a mentality that needs to be altered.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
I guess I'd say what makes somebody a "gamer" is if they keep up to date with the surrounding world of gaming. I mean I play golf occasionally but I'm not really a golfer, a golfer knows who won the Ryder Cup last year and how to put backspin on a chip, although they may not have the best execution. That's the way I define being a gamer.

dreadedcandiru99

Apr 13, 2009
The whole "real gamer" thing has always bugged me. A gamer is a person who plays games. Period. That's all the word means. It's not a religion, there's no such thing as a gaming heretic, and playing more or "better" games than someone else does not make you special.

Aardvark

Sep 9, 2008
Has anybody beaten Megaman without dying? I've barely even played Megaman and I'm pretty sure I gave up after dying too many times in 5 minutes. Does that make me an unreal gamer? Is the title of "Real" gamer solely reserved for those social mutants who have hand-eye coordination that rivals the Gods themselves and a threshold for frustration and pain greater than the audience of Survivor?

If so, I'll go without and console myself by having sex with girls.

Apr 28, 2008
A gamer to me is someone who plays games. Thats all it is.

I haven't played Final Fantasy 7, Super Mario Bros. on the NES, or the origional Zelda titles. And I never will. Does that make you better than me? Hell no. Mainly because I don't care.

And if you can beat mega man without dying, then you are a freak of nature and really, really need to get a life.

BlueInkAlchemist said:
I'm reminded of the following.

[http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=282]
That was great, thank you for that.

whycantibelinus

Sep 29, 2009
Seriously? I can't beat Mega Man without dying, it's fucking difficult. I have not played Braid. I cannot string a combo together on a Playstation controller. I have played through Deus Ex many many times. I have played through Mass Effect many times. I have beaten the fuck out of Double Dragons 1, 2, and 3. I have finished almost every single Zelda game, with the exception of DS titles and gamecube/Wii titles. I played the fuck out of Doom, Doom 2, and Dark Forces when I was a acne infected teen back in the 90's. I played Combat, Space Invaders, and a whole fucking slew of other games on Atari 2600 back when I was a wee lad in the 80's. I remember when NBA Jam was the best basketball game ever, and I was fucking awesome at it.

That guy is an idiot, and if his definition of being a gamer is right then being wrong has never been so fucking awesome.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
You video gaming bastards stole the word "gamer" from us pen-and-paper RPGers in the first place. (I'm sure any second now, some wargamer will claim the same thing about RPers, and will probably be right.) So don't be whining now. If history's taught us anything, the term will go where the money does, so as far as the public consciousness will be concerned, all those WiiFit users are "gamers" regardless of our feelings in the matter.

(Beat MegaMan without dying? Good Lord, is Teoh a gamer or a member of some cult that plays MM 16 hours a day?)

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
If you perform music, you are a musician. Even if the music is bad to someone other than you.

If you write, you are a writer. Even if the writing is bad to someone other than you.

If you play games, you are a gamer. Even if the game is bad to someone other than you.

There's definitions, and then there's matters of degree. This guy needs to learn the difference. Be wary and avoid wrestling a definition, unless you want a dictionary lodged in an uncomfortable place.

Motakikurushi

Jul 22, 2009
What annoys me is that there are just better games than the ones casuals play, more enlightening, life changing games that they're ignoring. I play games for fun, yes, and I absolutely LOATHE Street Fighter, but I like RPGs. I've been playing since I was 5, so I guess part of this 'gamer' trend is how long one has spent experiencing them. You'll get that with every form of entertainment.

I suppose we need to differentiate between what is a game and what is a fucking gym. Wii Fit is not a game, yet it is on a games console. Nintendo have gone out of their way to decimate their hardcore fanbase quite substantially, so I can understand why a lot of people are bitter.

I usually hate most hardcore games anyway. Mega Man 9 was the most overrated piece of tripe I've ever paid for.

toapat

Mar 28, 2009
this is the only question relevant to being a gamer:

Do you play Professional Starcraft in Korea?

if yes, you are a gamer

if not, you are a game enthusiast at best, but more likely you are an ungreatful bastard

Daggermonkie

Sep 15, 2009
there are gamers and casual gamers and the normal gaming pretty much hate the casual gamers for calling themselves gamers but really?If you play games you are a gamer because gamer means a person who plays gamer right?