Atkinson Dismisses Game Consultation as "Unfair"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Atkinson Dismisses Game Consultation as "Unfair"

South Australia Attorney General Michael Atkinson says the upcoming public consultation on videogames will likely show "overwhelming" support for an R18+ rating because the only people who care enough to get involved in the debate are gamers.

The Australian government began a "public consultation [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96839-Australian-Government-Seeks-Public-Input-Into-R18-Game-Ratings]" in December 2009 on the question of implementing an R18+ rating for videogames, which has been hung up for years at the state level thanks largely to the efforts of Atkinson. The creation of such a rating requires the unanimous assent of the country's state-level "censorship ministers," effectively meaning that as long as Atkinson remains as the state's Attorney General, Australia will be a nation in which videogames are strictly kids' stuff.

But with the public consultation nearing, Atkinson appears to be hedging his bets somewhat. Speaking to GameSpot AU [http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/modernwarfare2/news.html?sid=6246574], he predicted that the process will show high levels of support for a "mature" videogame rating but suggested that such a result would be pretty much invalid because the average Australian won't care enough to speak out about it. Furthermore, he claimed the discussion paper is biased because it doesn't clearly present to people what sort of content they're voting for.

"I don't think the discussion paper presents a fair and balanced view of the issue without pictures of the games that would be rated R18+," he said. "I think the majority of the population are unfamiliar with these games and without images, they won't be able to imagine them in their mind's eye. They'll have no idea how violent or sexually depraved they are, and what kind of torture, drug use, and blood spatter they include."

"I also believe that very few people outside the gaming community will have a say in this public consultation, which will mean an overwhelming response in support of R18+," he added.

It's amusing to hear Atkinson accuse Australian voters of being ignorant about videogames when it's been demonstrated time and again that he has very little idea about them himself. His favorite videogame target remains RapeLay [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/89398-Rape-Game-On-Amazon-Triggers-Anger-Outrage], which he has repeatedly held up as an example of the every-day depravity of games and those who play them despite the fact that it's not available for sale outside of Japan.

Atkinson said that it's unlikely he'll give up his crusade against R18+ videogame ratings, particularly while gamers continue to abuse and threaten him and his family. "I'll consider changing my mind about all this when the gaming community decide to behave in a civil fashion and apologize for the threats to me and my family," he continued."But I don't plan to back down from the fight. I started my mission and I plan to finish it."

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
And being the only person vetoing a 'R' rating is completely fair I forgot.

Edit: His smile even makes me want to punch him in the fa...[censored]
I want to have a nice conversation with him discussing the politics of these comments he continues to make

obisean

May the Force Be With Me
Feb 3, 2009
If the only ones that care enough to get involved are the gamers, then his case must not have enough weight to carry itself. Presidents win elections for that very reason he says he is going to lose. The only ones that cared enough to get out and vote, voted for the person that won.

EDIT:
By not caring, that means you have no opinion and, frankly, don't care if games are played by other people are not. It doesn't affect their daily lives, and will have no effect on their economy other than a positive one. He is a man that is stuck in the past. It has been proven time and time again that video games have no direct link to aggression and if anything a "rough" night of GTA helps people relax after a rough day of work.

EDIT 2: You'd think the AG of a country (or even part of it) could afford some vaneers or something.

ma55ter_fett

Oct 6, 2009
"South Australia Attorney General Michael Atkinson says the upcoming public consultation on videogames will likely show "overwhelming" support for an R18+ rating because the only people who care enough to get involved in the debate are gamers."

Then I have one question to ask you Atkinson

If the public doesn't give two shits about this debate... WHY THE FUCK DO YOU?

What do you hope to gain by attempting to force through legislation that half the public doesn't give a shit about and the other half hates.

The land down under is sooooo strange.

Mana Fiend

Jun 8, 2009
Oh Atkinson, you continue to befuddle and destress me. Here's to you, Australian gamers, and hopefully getting this whole thing turned around. Fight the power :)

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
So you know people want this, the people who don't want this don't care, and you decide to follow the whims of the people who don't care? What's the logic behind that? Seriously, does he even listen to what he's saying?
I think politicians need regular psychiatric evaluations if they want to keep their office.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
Oh, so now he just isn't illogical, he's discriminating gamers. Don't we deserve the right to vote for this? Why would non-gamers care about an 18+ rating, and why would they vote for it the way Atkinson brainwashes them? Atkinson, I say this only once. You're full of s***.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I'm going to bet money tomorrow morning that before the end of this decade Atkinson will be exposed as either a paedophile, an unfaithful husband, a curb crawler, a serial gambler or a combination of the above.

People that obsessed with 'public decency' are invariably trying to compensate for something dodgy. A man that willing to cling to the slightest sliver of doubt can't be right in the head. When are the next Aussy elections?

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Of course only gamers care you old twit. Why would someone who doesn't play games care? It doesn't concern them. Its like when I don't care about any laws that are passed on cars. I don't drive, therefore i don't /care/.

This guy is an old fool.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Who cares if people who aren't into gaming don't vote?

They won't play the damn games either