Pre-Order BioShock 2 on Steam, Get BioShock Free

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Pre-Order BioShock 2 on Steam, Get BioShock Free

Curious about BioShock 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Bioshock-2-Xbox-360/dp/B0016BVYA2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278970338&sr=1-1] but haven't played the first yet? Now, you have no excuse: Pre-ordering the new game on Steam means you get the first game absolutely free.

There are plenty of people who are looking forward to going back to Andrew Ryan's sunken metropolis of Rapture when BioShock 2 comes out on February 9th. But before you can go back to Rapture, you have to go there first - and it doesn't hurt that the original BioShock [http://www.amazon.com/BioShock-Playstation-3/dp/B001B1W3GG/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1280781390&sr=1-1] is one of the most highly-acclaimed games in recent memory. It's just a damn good game, start to finish (well, maybe not the finish), with some excellent writing and atmosphere of the sort that just isn't found in many games these days.

But in case you can't be bothered to shell out the $10 or so that it'll take to buy a copy of the 2007 RPG/FPS hybrid, how about this: Pre-ordering BioShock 2 via Steam [http://store.steampowered.com/app/8859/] gets you a 10% discount on the actual game (or $5, bringing the price down to $44.99) when it comes out in three weeks, but gets you a free copy of the original BioShock right now. And if you already have BioShock, you can gift it to your friends. Or you can buy four copies of BioShock 2 if you... really, really want to, and give them all to your friends or something - it's one of those deals that I doubt anyone will ever use, but Steam has it up anyway.

It may not be Bill's Veterans' Beret [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95737-Left-4-Dead-2-TV-Spot-Hits-a-Home-Run], but it's a free game, and it's a damn good free game. If you were planning on getting BioShock 2 anyway, what do you have to lose?

(Thanks [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.169173], saejox!)

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
bought bioshock 3 times, first two time i lost the disc, though why i keep buying it is a mystery, i dont like being scared and bioshock frightens me, but to those who enjoy that type of things it sounds like a good deal.

but i dont think this type of deal is "rare" enough to be newsworthy, steam often have 10% off plus an older game by the same studio deals, the 10% off has become the norm and the same can be said about one of the earlier games if its an sequel, i bet that assassins creed 2 will have the exact same pre-order deal.

the only thing i find news worthy, or at least peculiar is the 4 copies pack, now i haven't been following the news about bioshock 2, but thats usually only for games with 4 player co-op (l4d 1 and 2, borderlands), if thats the case then i might be intrigued, having 3 friends to talk to while playing would make it less scary and perhaps even enjoyable.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
MetaKnight19 said:
That is a damn good deal, I loved BioShock and cannot wait for the sequel
Same here. I never owned original as I pplayed it with a friend, so owning my own copy could make for a great "Bioshock" night =D

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
That's a good deal, but why would you pre-order Bioshock 2 if you didn't already play Bioshock?

blue heartless

Legacy
Aug 28, 2005
Onyx Oblivion said:
That's a good deal, but why would you pre-order Bioshock 2 if you didn't already play Bioshock?
That, and GameStop's Special Edition pre-order comes with a vinyl soundtrack record. Steam can chew me.

snowman6251

Nov 9, 2009
Anyone who hasn't played Bioshock should probably get on that. I freaking LOVE Bioshock. Its one of my all time favorites, no question.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
maybe you've heard good things about it and want to give it a try but instead of settling for the old one then instead buying the new and improved sequel, or if you have a friend whom you suspect might enjoy the game you can give the copy to him.

or for some third reason, im just guessing.

Indecizion

Aug 11, 2009
i wil prolly do this once ive got my comp, everyone has reccomended bioshock to me but i just dont have a comp capable of playing it so yeah :D

Pielikey

Jul 31, 2009
After hearing good things about the first Bioshock, this does seem to grab my interest. And with all the post-Christmas/birthday cash lying around, I might go for it.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Did they finish/overhaul/polish bioshock 1 yet?
Is there an SDK yet?

If the answer is no they can sit on it and swivel....

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
I don't care at all about Bioshock 2, but this is such a good deal I'm tempted to go through with it.

I just like it when people think up good marketing strategies. Like Dante's Inferno (though, releasing the demo over XBL was a terrible move, because all my curiosity drained after actually experiencing the gameplay).

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
John Funk said:
...you can gift give it to your friends as a gift.
I'm sorry, but that just annoys me to no end. It's up there with "axing" people questions.

OT: Sounds like a good deal, but I've never played BioShock, and, to be honest, I'm not excited for this at all. More power to the people who enjoy it, I guess.
Onyx Oblivion said:
That, too. I'm not seeing a lot of logic in this sale, but....meh. I'm tired.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Ok I haven't used steam, but can someone answer these questions for me? I'm getting a new laptop for my birthday in a few weeks time, probably after Bioshock comes out. So can I pre order it now (and get Bioshock 1), but download it on my new computer (which will be able to play the actual game), or is there some issues to prevent piracy or something?

Thanks. I really want Bioshock, and Bioshock 2, but my PC is terrible. Then again I could just buy the console version.

JamesCG

May 3, 2008
thenumberthirteen said:
Ok I haven't used steam, but can someone answer these questions for me? I'm getting a new laptop for my birthday in a few weeks time, probably after Bioshock comes out. So can I pre order it now (and get Bioshock 1), but download it on my new computer (which will be able to play the actual game), or is there some issues to prevent piracy or something?

Thanks. I really want Bioshock, and Bioshock 2, but my PC is terrible. Then again I could just buy the console version.
As long as you use the same steam account, your games will follow you. : D

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
JamesCG said:
thenumberthirteen said:

As long as you use the same steam account, your games will follow you. : D
Thanks! Now I can finally play PC games. TF2 isn't the same on PS3 (no hats).

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
Looks like a good deal. The thing that sucks is I don't know if they'd let me gift the first game without already having it on Steam(I got the first game through retail).

I'm thinking I'll just wait til they have a special on the game at some point in the future and get it then.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Well, this shouuld make every fan of Bioshock wet their pants. Especially if they lost their first copy.