Blizzard: Shipping Unfinished Games "Devastates" Developers

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Blizzard: Shipping Unfinished Games "Devastates" Developers

Blizzard CFO Paul Sams thinks that releasing an unfinished product is one of the worst things that can happen to a developer, as it undermines all of the work that has gone into the game.

It can be hard work, being a game developer. The hours are long and the work demanding, but surely it's all worth it to see your game in the hands of people who adore it, right? That depends on how it was released, says Paul Sams, Chief Financial Officer of popular PC developer Blizzard - was it released because it was finished, or was it pushed out the door at the demand of the publisher? There is nothing more devastating to a hard-working and passionate development team than to see their game released before it was ready.

"If you've been in the games industry for any length of time and you've worked for a variety of companies, what you will hear from developers is that they were working on a game that they were so excited and enthusiastic about... and yet, when it got to the point where the company wanted to ship it and the game wasn't done, that company would oftentimes make the decision to ship it anyway - because they needed to make their quarterly numbers, or whatever," Sams told GI.biz [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/blizzard-shipping-unfinished-product-is-devastating-for-developers].

"So the people who have put in the blood, sweat and tears on making this game that has all the promise - which instead has to be pushed out the door - those types of experiences are pretty devastating to people." Sams continued with praise for his own studio (natch), pointing out that Blizzard let developers make the games that they wanted to make without fiscal pressure from management. "We will not pull the rug out from under them and ship it before it's done, so people feel that when they out their heart and soul into a game, they'll be able to deliver the game they envisioned."

On the one hand, what Sams says is completely, 100% true - there's only one thing I can think of that would suck harder than "releasing an unfinished game," and that's "not releasing a game you worked on for 12 years" [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97032-Duke-Nukem-Forever-Designers-Speak-Out] - and it's part of what makes his studio one of the most respected in the business, but he seems to be forgetting that unlike Blizzard, most other studios don't have a machine that prints money.

Games are expensive to make, and publishers are understandably wary to keep a game in development if that means paying the salary of a whole team for another six months to a year before seeing a return on investment. Without other games coming out to buoy a company's cash reserves, the only other alternative is sinking into millions of dollars of debt. It's a sad fact of the industry, but it it really surprising when developers get rushed to meet a deadline by a fiscally-driven publisher? I'm not saying it's in any way a good thing, just that it unfortunately makes sense.

On the other hand, Blizzard makes millions and millions every month off of Warcraft subscriptions alone. So yes, Mr. Sams, it's understandable that your company can afford to let the developers make their awesome games and release them when they're ready (and fully awesome), but not every studio has that same luxury.

It's hard to argue his point - there's no getting around that he is right - but studios like Blizzard and Valve (hey there, income from Steam!) that can afford the luxury of taking their time are few and far between.

Check out the full interview with Paul Sams and Rob Pardo at GamesIndustry [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/the-path-of-the-blizzard-one-article].

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I can imagine, not just for the developers themselves, but also for the company they work for (and in term, thus, for themselves again).

Age of Conan is proof of that, it absolutely murdered Funcom's reputation and even though AoC is shaping up to be quite a good game, it will never loose that stigmata.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
I think this is part of the reason why we're seeing such an influx of independent games these days (or, at least, more emphasis on them). Up-and-coming developers don't want to deal with this right out of the gate, especially if they want to control their own development studio.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
See, this is the sort of mentality we should be promoting in the industry from gamers themselves, instead of people complaining because HL2: Episode Three isn't out yet. It takes time to make a good game, so gamers should just be patient. Good things come to those who wait, after all :).

dagens24

Mar 20, 2004
In Blizzard's defence; they had the it's ready when it's done attitude even before the cash cow WoW.

Tron-tonian

Mar 19, 2009
Say what you will about WoW giving them the freedom to adopt this approach, but it is one they have been taking since the beginning.

And because of their stance, people know that a Blizzard game will be quality.

I don't even like RTS games, but I know that SC2 will be good - simply because it's Blizzard and they do it right.

What the DN4Ever team could have learned is how to set a deadline. Missing a deadline by a little bit - fine. Missing it by *years*? Not acceptable, but that's a leadership issue, and a topic for a whole other thread...

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Hopeless Bastard said:
Well isn't that quite a hilarious stance for the developers of world of warcraft.

While true that publisher edicts are strangling the industry as a whole, blizzard is the last house on the planet who has a right to complain. World of Warcraft managed to make microsoft look like amateurs at a type of marketing they invented.
Hilarious? I don't know - like you said, Blizzard is probably the last people who should be complaining about it - and Sams wasn't complaining about it at his own company, but pointing to how demoralizing it can be for others.

I think it makes sense as a statement, it's just kind of obvious from them.

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
The other side of the coin is that development studios need to manage the scope of the project better in order to meet a deadline. In most cases, developers are just as much to blame as publishers.

Development studios need to stand up for themselves before they begin a project... or they need publish their own games.

robrob

Oct 21, 2009
It's hardly something limited to the gaming industry, it's business. And it's about balance. Everyone has deadlines, tell some game makers/writers/musicians/accountants/whoever that they have unlimited time to polish their work and they'll take forever making improvements. "Done" is more a state of mind than anything else, someone has to make the push to get it out the door and if there isn't someone professional enough inside the developer to do it, the publisher who is funding it will do it.

Not to say that Blizzard don't release far more polished games than most and has benefited in some ways from that, but that's part of the company and not a benchmark that can always be applied.

paketep

Jul 14, 2008
Hey, Blizz.. if you release SC2 without proper LAN support (i.e., offline), IT WILL BE UNFINISHED.

Quick Ben

Oct 27, 2008
I still wonder what KoTOR II would have been if Lucas Arts didn't rush Obsidian...
On that note: Does anyone know if Team Gizka is nearing the finish for their project?

VanBasten

Aug 20, 2009
John Funk said:
On the other hand, Blizzard makes millions and millions every month off of Warcraft subscriptions alone.
I doubt the constant publishing delays of Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 have anything to do with those games being "unfinished", and way more to do with Blizzards money printing factory.

I'd wager that the money they're raking in from WoW subscriptions nets them more cash than releasing a game that has the potential to draw a somewhat significant portion of the WoW playerbase away from the game for several months.

For example, Torchlight took 11 months to develop from scratch with less than 20 people and no money, so with Blizzards resources and experience to have to "finish" games over several years is a bit ridiculous.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
VanBasten said:
John Funk said:
On the other hand, Blizzard makes millions and millions every month off of Warcraft subscriptions alone.
I doubt the constant publishing delays of Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 have anything to do with those games being "unfinished", and way more to do with Blizzards money printing factory.

I'd wager that the money they're raking in from WoW subscriptions nets them more cash than releasing a game that has the potential to draw a somewhat significant portion of the WoW playerbase away from the game for several months.

For example, Torchlight took 11 months to develop from scratch with less than 20 people and no money, so with Blizzards resources and experience to have to "finish" games over several years is a bit ridiculous.
Well, we also have to consider that Blizzard was infamous for delays well before WoW came out - StarCraft, Diablo II, WarCraft III, and WoW were all delayed multiple times. That's not saying it couldn't be a contributing factor, but conspiracy theories don't really hold much water. By that logic, why ever would they be working on a game they're hoping will beat WoW (their new MMOG)?

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
robrob said:
It's hardly something limited to the gaming industry, it's business.
True, it happens in Hollywood all the time. Why do you think Terry GIlliam hates Universal? They ruined too many of his movies.

It sounds like Paul needs to be reminded that these games aren't cheap for the consumer either. It's just as devastating to some gamers when they pay $60 for a piece of crap. At least the developer can sometimes pull a success out of it. Look at No More Heroes: a game that looks like it had promise if it hadn't been rushed to shelves before it was done. Fortunately for them the style and characters had enough appeal to certain types of gamers (otaku) that it was still a success. It just makes me wonder if they're going to intentionally make the sequel bad (to keep with expectations) or if they will actually finish making it before selling it to us.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Hence why most movie tie-ins are absolute disaters, they are released finished or not.

Trivun said:
See, this is the sort of mentality we should be promoting in the industry from gamers themselves, instead of people complaining because HL2: Episode Three isn't out yet. It takes time to make a good game, so gamers should just be patient. Good things come to those who wait, after all :).
Have you ever wondered what would of happened if Valve would of stuck to the whole idea of Episodic gaming? Episode 3 would of come out at the same time as Episode 2.
I suppose the "When its done" mentality can be quite restricting. Take Stalker for example, that game was almost 7 years in development due to the whole range of features they kept adding.

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
robrob said:
Everyone has deadlines, tell some game makers/writers/musicians/accountants/whoever that they have unlimited time to polish their work and they'll take forever making improvements. "Done" is more a state of mind than anything else, someone has to make the push to get it out the door and if there isn't someone professional enough inside the developer to do it, the publisher who is funding it will do it.
I agree with your sentiment, but there is a line between finished and unfinished. Unfortunately, a lot of games tread too close to that line.