Carl Icahn Puts the Squeeze on Take-Two

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Carl Icahn Puts the Squeeze on Take-Two

Billionaire investor and corporate raider Carl Icahn [http://www.icahnreport.com/] has used his clout at Take-Two to force a change in the company's board of directors, replacing three members, including CEO Ben Feder, with his own people.

Icahn, one of the richest men in the world, is a self-described "shareholder activist" notorious for his aggressive approach toward companies he holds an interest in, such as when he launched an action against the Microsoft [http://www.yahoo.com]. Icahn eventually forced changes that included the expansion of the Yahoo board to make room for the addition of three new members of his choosing, including Icahn himself.

And now, as the saying goes, it's like deja-vu all over again, except this time Icahn is throwing his muscle around at Take-Two [http://www.take2games.com/]. Icahn increased his stake in the company in December 2009 to become its second-largest shareholder and now he's using that position to do a little housecleaning: In exchange for voting for the company's full slate of board nominees at the 2010 stockholder meeting, three current members of the board have agreed not to stand for re-election in order to make room for candidates of Icahn's choosing, including his son Brett.

The board members who agreed to step aside are taking one for the team, said Chairman Strauss Zelnick, who pointed out that Icahn was not seeking the removal of any specific people. Among them is Take-Two CEO Ben Feder, although he will continue to hold the position of chief executive at the company. "It's important to note that Mr. Icahn did not request that these directors in particular step down," Zelnick said. "They were willing to continue in their role but agreed not to stand for re-election in keeping with their commitment to the company and desire to put the best interests of stockholders first, as they have done throughout their tenure on the board."

"Advancing our stockholders' interests is the board's guiding principle, and it's in that spirit that we've undertaken a change in board representation," he continued. "We have much to accomplish at Take-Two in the year ahead, and we welcome the new directors who each have experience in the entertainment industry and will help us achieve our objectives."

So why do we care if some super-rich guy flexes his corporate muscle and forces a few anonymous executive types to swap seats? Because, as industry analyst Michael Pachter pointed out [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96583-GTA-Silence-Hurting-Take-Two-Says-Analyst], Take-Two makes fantastic games but its commitment to "high expectations and high quality standards" leads to delays and other problems that hamper its shipping schedules and, inevitably, its value. "If Take-Two can deliver its franchises on a more compressed schedule, its earnings power would essentially double, and the stock would command a much higher price," Pachter said.

Icahn's not the kind of guy who will sit by quietly when he sees an opportunity to maximize profits and shareholder value, and if he happens to agree with Pachter's assessment we could be seeing some whips cracking and hammers falling at Take-Two in very short order. That might put Take-Two on a tighter and more reliable shipping schedule, but looking at it pessimistically, it could also mean the slow erosion of the company's approach to quality game creation. We've seen it before and we could be seeing it again: Maximizing shareholder value and making great games don't necessarily go hand-in-hand.

Feb 13, 2008
There's not a link for comments at the bottom of the article.

But yeah, I think there's gonna be changes there. I've already noticed that Take 2's usual community relations have been SADLY lacking over the past year or so. Perhaps this may actually be a good move? I always assassinate failures in Evil Genius and it works for me...

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I hate people like him, so so so much. People to whom money is more important than everything else, more important than quality, more important than people, anything. A shareholders 'activist', yes because rich bastards who don't do squat for the actual customers and treat well-respected companies as their play thing deserve massive amounts of money. Not.

It's a damned shame, in heart it's a fantastic economic system, but it's the rotten mentality of many people that completely corrupts it. Just look at EA, or at least the old EA, or the poster boy of this horribleness, Bobby Kotick.

/rant over

PS:
I think someone pressed the post button a little too often, seeing as there are 14 copies of this news article in the News sub-forum.

slowpoke999

Sep 17, 2009
Thank fuck Bioshock 2 is already made. Though I don't know if I'll buy it because someone over at Take-Two hates Australia so much the price on steam is almost double then the U.S.

Yeah I don't like Bobby Kotick "Mini-me" or the original Mr Evil for that matter.

wasalp

Dec 22, 2008
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

god dam corporate fat cats go back to the puss filed crevasse you come from. Leave our games alone

A Pious Cultist

Jul 4, 2009
Less delays? Uh oh. Aside from when games vapourise like Duke Nukem Forever delays tend to be very good for games often making the difference between an okay game and a brilliant game (Arkham Asylum and Team Fortress 2 come to mind first to me).

Edit: Bloody hell there are alot of copies of this in the forum currently o_O

Tron-tonian

Mar 19, 2009
as others have mentioned, this does not bode well for Take Two. He'll now, almost certainly, start demanding a "compressed schedule" for everything, meaning games will be rushed out the door so he can "maximize his share value".

In return, people will stop buying the crap Take Two is releasing, tanking the stock, and resulting in the closing of studios and layoffs for the people that actually did the work.

I predict a Bioshock 3 for 2011, with an RTS and action-rpg in the same world by 2012 at the latest. (Gotta maximize that revenue stream, you know! :-S)

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
So games from this company will be rushed and released half-finished from now on? Meh. Thank you, Mr Icahn.

Arachon

Jun 23, 2008
So... He want's T2 to essentially churn out more games on a faster basis? Oh why, I can't see what will suffer in that plan.

T'Generalissimo

Nov 9, 2008
Oh fuck.

No wait; optimism! The world is not a dark and beauty-less place. Not everyone is a terrible idiot. I'll wait and see and hope that this won't herald a decrease in quality. I won't crucify this guy until he's actually proven that he deserves it. For fuck's sake don't prove me wrong, cosmos!

theaceplaya

Jul 20, 2009
That's all fine and dandy that he wants to increase T2 profits and whatnot but how likely is it that any of that money will go to the actual people developing the game?

roekenny

Jun 17, 2008
What worse added his son to the board so T2 will be making his super cool idea what just plain awesome very soon. Lets just hope he learned from other investors mistakes with video game industries...oh who am I kidding will bleed them dry and sell his shares before the collapse like the rest of them *sighs*

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
If this is for the good of gamers it is yet to be seen...

We will just have to wait and see if it will actually mean something for us other than an internal shakeup

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
John Funk said:
That is a stunningly appropriate picture.
In that it's a narcissistic hypocrite who only believes in objectivism as long as he's on top and the moment somebody threatens to overtake him he readily converts to fascism to protect his own power?

hansari

May 31, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
I hate people like him, so so so much. ...Just look at EA, or at least the old EA, or the poster boy of this horribleness, Bobby Kotick.
Why?

You just assume that because he is rich, he is evil?

He isn't reported to have said anything malicious like Kotick [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94711-Bobby-Kotick-Wants-to-Take-the-Fun-Out-of-Making-Games]. Hes just adding 3 people who he feels would do a better job and provide him with greater insight into whats going on with Take-Two.

Thats not unreasonable considering the direction the companies going in.

http://www.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=NASDAQ:TTWO

Look at the past 5 years...the hell do you expect a sane man to do?

The article says he "increased" his holding in late 2009...which means he had shares before.

Question:

So if this guy had a bunch of shares worth $25 back in 2008...then watched them drop to $9 where they have been floundering for a while now...and did nothing...you would be fine with that? You wouldn't call him insane? (Put yourself in his shoes)

Point is, wait for a news article that tells of how his vicegrip is actually messing up the way TakeTwo makes games...then grab the pitchforks...

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
These aren't the guys doing Mafia 2 are they?

I know there's been a shit load of name changes with these guys and its hard to keep track/

If they fuck up before its released I will actually kill someone...