Mass Effect Will Return After Trilogy Ends

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Mass Effect Will Return After Trilogy Ends

BioWare has plans to use the Mass Effect universe for more than just Shepard's tale.

BioWare co-founder Greg Zeschuk told Kotaku yesterday that the company's goal is to continue with the Mass Effect franchise after the current trilogy ends. He didn't mention exactly what this meant, only that the Mass Effect universe will not die with the release of Mass Effect 3.

Zeschuck stated: "We're actually going to continue to use [the Mass Effect universe] for stuff and we're going to continue to make games there. Believe me, we have our work cut out for us for the next little while getting Mass Effect 3 done after [Mass Effect 2]. Don't worry if you love Mass Effect, there will be more Mass Effect in the future." With Mass Effect 2 scheduled to hit stores next week on January 26, anything planned would be quite a ways off from even being announced. At least we know it's coming.

This reveal isn't a surprise by any means. It would be a shame to lock the Mass Effect universe into a file cabinet after Shepard's suicide missions were all completed (I'm assuming Mass Effect 3 also won't be all butterflies and roses). Now that Zeschuk has officially confirmed that BioWare plans to do more with Mass Effect, the possibilities are quite endless, such as a prequel involving Saren or a probably hilarious Elcor side-story. BioWare was smart in creating deep franchises like Mass Effect and Dragon Age: Origins that have the potential to sustain themselves for a long time, similar to Star Wars and Lord of the Rings.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5452971/bioware-there-will-be-more-mass-effect-after-trilogy-ends]

Rhayn

Free of All Weakness
Jul 8, 2008
Oh, I would so love to play as the Elcor. The dialogue options would be hilarious when communication with another one.

Good option: Move slightly to the left, shake right back leg.
Neutral option: Crouch a tad.
Bad option: Shake left... paw?

Noone From Nowhere

Feb 20, 2009
They've already done as much with the flash games set in the same world as Dragon Age:Origins, so why not pull a Star Wars/Trek move with Mass Effect?

sms_117b

Keeper of Brannigan's Law
Oct 4, 2007
A space RT (like Haegemonia) playing the reapers! hahahhahhahahaha, or anyone of the races, I mean each species already has it's own story and history so campaigns would be easy to create, like Quarians(?) going back home pushing through the Geth. I'm a RTS fanatic so I would say that.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I have mixed opinions.

Right now while the series is at it's height and radiating pure awesome, a seemingly endless ongoing property seems like a good thing. I however think of this in similar terms to how they say "God Of War 3 won't be the last one". Reading between the lines here it seems they are basically talking about milking the property for every dime they can get out of it, and then tossing the dessicated (and at that point much maligned) shell into a dumpster somewhere.

Things like the Star Wars Prequels show that you can push even the most awesome property too far. I'd honestly rather see them end Mass Effect on a high note for the franchise rather than keeping it going until I'm 50 years old (34 now) and whining with other fanboys about how badly they murdered things.

I suppose Mass Effect does have some possibility for long term use as a world setting, but still...

As far as a humerous Elcor sidestory, well I kind of like the Elcor. I think they could be treated VERY seriously, but right now the animations and such aren't really up to the task of having them very active. Simply put it occured to me that while defined as a "minor race" nothing said they didn't have a (relatively small) military, and arguably they are able to protect their limited number of colonies. They struck me as potentially being very dangerous (strong, and durable) and quite probably able to wear ridiculously heavy armor and tote heavy weapons of a sort that would utterly break the backs of other species. Slow, but I figured they would be like the ultimate heavy combat troopers when properly motivated by defense or a galactic threat.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Mna they have already built the universe so all I can say is "Bioware don't screw this up by listening to your publishers!!!"

Discord

Monk of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2009
Random Argument Man said:
I would prefer a Jade Empire 2...
You and me both!

OT: After the trilogy will be seeing a Mass Effect: First Contact War? Or a in depth colonization storygame?

Ricotez

Jan 17, 2010
I hope a future Mass Effect game will allow you to choose another race to play as. I'd totally play as a quarian, since space nomads are cool.

Mind, a male quarian, I left the whole gender-bending stuff behind me a long time ago.

There are male quarians, right? I mean, you only ever get to see Tali in ME1, and I haven't played ME2 yet (you only hear another female in the Tali trailer).

EDIT: Just remembered Tali talks about her father to you, so I guess there are male quarians.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Im glad to hear it actually...alot could be done with the ME universe, I am sure. And seeing that they are willing to go places with it is great!

Of course, I will reserve judgement as to how great till after I have played the new one.

DoctorNick

Oct 31, 2007
Mixed feelings.

While on one hand I like to see ORIGINAL Intellectual Property more than anything else, I do admit that seeing stories about different people elsewhere in the universe is much better than having:

Game

GameII: The Adventure Continues

GameIII: The End, Really

GameIV: The Reckoning

GameV: The Continuity re-boot.

...and so on so forth.

Deef

Mar 11, 2009
The only thing i can say is the text version of the expression on my face.

:D

Jhereg42

Apr 11, 2008
DoctorNick said:
Mixed feelings.

While on one hand I like to see ORIGINAL Intellectual Property more than anything else
I think of this as more of a case of an original intellectual property done good. Mass Effect, Dragon Age, ect are all examples of new IPS handled properly, and hopefully EA is learning from this. With the recent bloodletting and general failure of so many of the new IPS brought forth by the "new" EA, I'm really afraid that they will follow ActiBlizz and their somewhat prophetic douche of a president.

Byers

Nov 21, 2008
Good, I suppose. The worst part about Mass Effect is easily how retardedly dreary the name "Shepard" is and how grating it is to hear it over and over.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Joy. That's all I can say. Joy.
Although I do hope, you get to choose your race, and the such.

Krogans, anyone?

Lift

Dec 18, 2008
Keep in mind Final fantasy didn't reach its zenith until 7, and how many Cod did they make before they got it right, same with battlefield.

I am ALL for more Mass Effecting, and I wouldn't mind an MMO, the infrastructure is their after all. Choose Race, Choose Class, Choose background, then go shoot some Geth in the face, victory!!!