BioShock 2 DRM Explained

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
BioShock 2 DRM Explained

2K Games has clarified the BioShock 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Bioshock-2-Xbox-360/dp/B0016BVYA2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278970338&sr=1-1] DRM scheme, saying that SecuROM will only be used as a disc check but that the Games for Windows Live key will have an activation limit.

The BioShock 2 system requirements were unveiled yesterday [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97615-BioShock-2-System-Requirements-DRM-Revealed], along with news that the retail edition of the game would make use of the hated SecuROM DRM. Exactly how it will be employed wasn't made clear, however; would it be a relatively unobtrusive disc check or would online activations and installation limits be a part of the picture too? Turns out it's the former - sort of.

Gamers weren't the only one confused by the SecuROM/Steam/Games for Windows mess; even the good folks at 2K [http://www.2kgames.com/] seemed to have trouble getting a handle on it. After initially making no mention of installation limits, the company revealed that the game would have a "15 machine activation limit." That was soon changed to a five machine limit, however, the same number of activations offered by the original BioShock, which of course did not go over well with fans of the franchise.

But it was all just a big mix-up! In a follow-up forum post [http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=597383&postcount=45] with a distinct tone of finality to it, 2K Games Community Manager "2K Elizabeth" wrote, "The Games for Windows Live key you get has 15 activations on it. If you reach 16, contacting Microsoft will get the key reset. (This doesn't limit the number of computers you put the on. It is just 15 activations.) This is a number set by Microsoft. We went with this option because we wanted to go with non-ssa keys, because we felt that was better for you guys all around."

Got that? There's no SecuROM activation limit but there is a Games for Windows Live activation limit. Same stuff in different piles, maybe, and I have to wonder why 2K felt the need to employ both methods of copy protection. On the other hand, 15 activations should be more than enough for the average gamer; on principle it sucks, but from a practical perspective, I'm not sure it's worth getting too worked up over.

via: Blue's News [http://www.bluesnews.com/s/106549/bioshock-2-activations-securom-0-gfwl-15]

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
So what they're saying is, its worse than what people thought?

SecuROMs not too bad (can't say I've ever really cared about it myself, although I've encountered it when my internet was disconnected for 3 months and it was a complete "fuck you" to me) but GFW is a pile of shit.

Putting an activation limit on a service that no one likes and that doesn't work is NOT a good idea (even if it is 15!).

Filtertip

Jan 30, 2009
15 activations should be more than enough for the average gamer; on principle it sucks, but from a practical perspective, I'm not sure it's worth getting too worked up over.
See its all well and good saying that but leaving such already proven methods of DRM to do nothing but give paying gamers the finger leaves them to carry on. not supporting such methods will force them to rethink and one day might just (if where lucky) lead to DRM that gives the finger to pirates insteed of us

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I don't care about disc checks or whatever DRM is targeted for the people who buy the game and if you don't know about that, think about it. The game is going to be up on a torrent site 3 days before it hits store shelves and it will have all that nasty DRM removed, and DRM counts any hardware changes (ram/HDD/dvd) and counts that too. They'll play it anyway as much as they like installing it as many times as they will need while we, the people who actually buy their games are stuck with shit.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
SecuROM? Activation limit?

No, thanks, I'll just pirate the game. Seriously, if you treat me as a thief before I even buy the game, I might as well be a thief. Since you like it so much.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
If that Icahn guy wants to improve Take Two's profitability, the first thing he can do is fire whichever brain dead twat makes these decisions. How much time, money, complication and bad publicity would be saved if they'd just had the good sense to run activation and multiplayer through Steam?
Millions already have Steam, it has a (generally) good reputation, so why add in extra parts known for being obstructive and crap?

Gahhhh...

j0z

Apr 23, 2009
I wonder how the Steam version will work? Will it still have GFW, and will we get the DLC from Steam or GFWL?
Overall, this sucks, but not as bad as the original Bioshock. Rootkits anyone?

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
In other words they're trying to say there isn't when there really is, and hope we won't notice.

In other words they're cocking up again, and they're going to suffer.

Secondly, no-one likes Windows Live. No-one. Nice going 2K.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
j0z said:
I wonder how the Steam version will work? Will it still have GFW, and will we get the DLC from Steam or GFWL?
Overall, this sucks, but not as bad as the original Bioshock. Rootkits anyone?
It will have GFWL and you have to get the DLC through that piece of retarded software.

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
I dunno, I still think there'll be a big mess when someones internet dies in the mid-afternoon, and they go to fire up their game to kill some time, and boom. Can't load a Live save game when not on Live (at least, that's the way it was explained to me).

Bah, who cares. For all this confusion I shall pirate their game, just to show them they shouldn't make PR mistakes like this! I AM JUSTIFIED!*
A JOKE GUYS! It's a JOKE!

I'm not too interested in Bioshock 2 anyways (don't flog me, please, just sayin'). Still, any activation limit is kinda dumb to me. Think Lucasarts would even pick up the phone if I was calling to get my Dark Forces keys refreshed? No? Or would I really bother contacting Terminal Reality if I wanted to spend an evening in nostalgia with Hellbender, but it was telling me "too many activations"?

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
Abedeus said:
SecuROM? Activation limit?

No, thanks, I'll just pirate the game. Seriously, if you treat me as a thief before I even buy the game, I might as well be a thief. Since you like it so much.
This.

Were it not coming out on 360 at any rate. Since it is I'll just play it there.

Jhereg42

Apr 11, 2008
Ok, I'm a little late to this party, but I do have a question.

Why does everyone hate GFWL? It was a part of my Dawn of War 2 install (Along with Steam activation) and seems to have worked quite well, along with adding achievments to the game as an added bonus. Are there issues with it I have not encountered?

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Congratulations, my preorder has been cancelled.

Go frig your selves. When will you learn that we won't take that shit, and that all DRM does is make the Pirate Bay seem ever so friendly.

Excuse me while I go check to see if we are spared from DRM in Mass Effect 2.
-------
Securom has caused me to have to reformat both my drives more then I'd like to admit.

Minimal DRM and good game makes me more willing to throw my money at the developers.
_____

Final note, if you're gonna treat me like a thief before anything has been done then frig off I'll go ahead and BE A THIEF. It makes no difference in your eyes anyways.

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
So... what they are saying is it... is just as bad as before, but... we... I...

...Right, get it for X360 it is.

Excuse me while I go check to see if we are spared from DRM in Mass Effect 2.
Yeah, well there's a disk check. That's pretty much it.