Capcom May Announce New "Versus" Title This Year

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Capcom May Announce New "Versus" Title This Year

Capcom may be ready to announce a new "Versus" fighting game this year, but there's a catch - it'll only happen if Tatsunoko vs. Capcom sells well.

Hey everyone, I've got good news and I've got bad news. What do you want to hear first? The good news? Okay!

Here's the good news: Capcom may be ready to announce a new "Versus" fighting game this year, said Ryota Niitsumi - producer of the upcoming to Kotaku [http://www.amazon.com/Tatsunoko-vs-Capcom-All-Stars-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B002EE5SAC/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1280260057&sr=1-1]. Tatsunoko is the seventh game featuring Capcom characters battling characters belonging to other franchises, having previously taking on the X-Men, the Marvel Comics cast in general, and warriors from rival fighting game manufacturer SNK.

This is good because the Versus games are all generally really easy to jump in to (just not at a high level of play) and very irreverent and fun. Where else are you going to wind up with Jill Valentine fighting Wolverine fighting Mega Man fighting Spider-man? Where else are you going to get Darkstalkers' Dimitri turning SNK's Iori Yagami into a girl? The Versus games are awesome.

Now, the bad news: This new game is conditional on Tatsunoko vs. Capcom selling well in the United States. The odds are stacked against Tatsunoko, seeing as how it's a fighting game for the Wii (ooh, off to a bad start), but - more importantly - half of the cast will almost certainly be completely unrecognizable to Western audiences. Tatsunoko's characters, like Casshan and Yattaman, might be instantly recognizable and iconic to Japanese gamers who have grown up with five decades of Tatsunoko series, but most people in the West haven't even heard of the company. Hell, the one character who would be recognizable over here - Speed Racer - isn't even in the game.

Niitsumi said that the Versus games were largely driven by fan requests, which was something that his company paid close attention to. "Based on those requests we might be able to do something with our characters and another company's characters for a future game ... Keep your eyes open and your ears open for some kind of news in the future."

That future, he elaborated, would be sometime this year if sales for Tatsunoko vs. Capcom "are really good." Unfortunately, I just can't see that happening.

But if it does happen, I would gladly kill a man to see the Capcom fighters square off against the casts of Guilty Gear and BlazBlue. That's a crossover that's been entirely too long in coming.

(Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5453656/capcom-may-announce-new-versus-game-this-year])

Vigilantis

Jan 14, 2010
Marvel Vs Capcom 3 would be nice, but honestly anything works for me if it has the street fighter cast and flashy moves ^_^

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
whats the character at the front on that box? remember watching that series when I was a kid (and daft punk used images very similar for one of his videos)

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
John Funk said:
Sparrow said:
Viewtiful Joe is in it, right?

He's well known in America, surely.
He's Capcom, not Tatsunoko.
Huh.

I suppose I should have known that. I've only see that crappy TV show that ITV used to air...

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
How could it not sell well, it has Zero and Frank West in it AND it has Megaman from Legends! The most awesome undrated Megaman!

aPod

Jan 14, 2010
We will never see a new Vs. it would seem.

Maybe enough kiddos will think that guys in the background look cool and get thier parents to buy it... doesnt really do it for me though.

Crunchy English

Victim of a Savage Neck-bearding
Aug 20, 2008
Argh! And I just traded my Wii in! Of course I want this game to do well. Who cares if you don't recognize the characters? Hell, I didn't "recognize" any Blazblue characters when I started. Plus, dude, FRANK. As in Dead Rising's, "I've Covered Wars You Know" Frank. Teamed up with Guile? It's the ultimate "I'm very American, but written by a Japanese person" team ever!

The Austin

Jul 20, 2009
Everyone vs. Everyone would be nice.

So you don't have to keep making new games to fit people in.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Well, if they had kept Phoenix Wright in it, it would sell like hotcakes. But nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo--- *commercial break*

Also, my money's in on the title Activision Vs. EA. Presented by Capcom!

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Capcom VS Atlus PLZZZZZZZZZZ.

I just hope that if they do make a new one thay add in more characters like
Jon Tailbane and a few characters from power stone.

I dont have any doubts that Tatsunoko VS Capcom will sell.
its going to be mainly fans that buy it but, once its out and those fans force their friends to play it and more people get a good look at it, it will start to catch on.
Mine is already pre-ordered.
Ill probably pay it off so i can have it mailed to me.

Zero & Karas FTW!

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
I want this to succeed so I might buy it I can find the nessecary funds. But honestly this doesn't look like it's going to be a hot seller, I would love to be proven wrong but we know the fate of wacky, original games right?

I seriously doubt they'll announce a new "vs" game until they see how this one does, I'm not holding out much.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Be pretty cool to have a new title out! Certainly give me and friends something to do during those long, dull hours XD

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
Now, the bad news: This new game is conditional on Tatsunoko vs. Capcom selling well in the United States. The odds are stacked against Tatsunoko, seeing as how it's a fighting game for the Wii (ooh, off to a bad start),
how is that a bad start? have you never played super smash brothers brawl or guilty gear xx accent core plus.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
John Funk said:
The odds are stacked against Tatsunoko, seeing as how it's a fighting game for the Wii (ooh, off to a bad start)...
Oh come on....I get enough of this is the wii hate-like threads.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Aura Guardian said:
John Funk said:
The odds are stacked against Tatsunoko, seeing as how it's a fighting game for the Wii (ooh, off to a bad start)...
Oh come on....I get enough of this is the wii hate-like threads.
Do you honestly think there's a market for a 2D fighter on the Wii that isn't Brawl? Not enough for it to sell a hundred thousand copies, but for it to sell WELL?