British Girl Achieves World Record Pokémon Collection

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
British Girl Achieves World Record Pokémon Collection

Obsession is a key trait that true Pokémon lovers have to exhibit. The UK's Lisa Courtney does that quite well with her massive memorabilia collection.

The votes are in and it looks like the new world record holder for collecting a bunch of Pokémon stuff is Lisa Courtney from Hertfordshire, UK. The 21-year-old Pokémon trainer has ammased 12,113 pieces of memorabilia over 13 years to snatch the top slot in the just released Guinness Book of World Records 2010 Gamers Edition.

Of being put in the book, Lisa says: "To hold a world record for something you feel so passionate about is just an indescribable feeling." Passionate she is, because to acquire so much junk Lisa traveled across the land, searching far and wide, for new Pokémon to add to her collection. She told Pokémon World UK [http://www.pokemon-world.co.uk/news/the-ultimate-pokemon-collection/] that her Moby Dick is a life-size Tyranitar plush that she can't get shipped to the UK. She feels to eventually get her hands on the plush toy is her destiny.

Lisa started her collection because she was bullied. "When I was upset I could just switch on a Pokémon game and it would take me away from everything." Her real test was to make it through those tough times, and to train her Pokémon collection was her cause. She continues: "I'm now far happier in my life, but still, if I get upset, I can look at my Pokémon collection and it lifts me."

Today, Lisa has become the very best, like no one ever was, according to the Guinness Book of World Records. She may own even more Pokémon crap than she was given the record for, as she states that she's got over 13,000 pieces now. It was tough at times for her family, with her collection taking up the entire family house, but courage has pulled them through.

The real story here is not a bunch of Pokémon song references interjected into a dubious news post, but the voracious competition that appears to go on behind the scenes in the Pokémon collection world. From my research, last year's record holder was here [http://community.guinnessworldrecords.com/service/displayKickPlace.kickAction?as=7691&u=1910337] dressed as a Pikachu. She seems to have thought she would be the record holder for a long time, but Lisa came along and snatched the title for 2010. Will Belle Starenchak be able to take back the throne next year, or will Lisa Courtney's unhealthy obsession keep her on top of the mound? We'll have to wait and see, friends.

Yeah, I looked far too deep into this.

(Some quotes via Pokemon World UK [http://www.pokemon-world.co.uk/news/world-record-pokemon-collection/])

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
HOLY CRAP WHAT WHOA WAH HEY

13'000?! That must have cost her a TON!

PartyMonkey

Jun 26, 2009
I want that many Pokemonssssss!

Although I have a pikachu...so meh mine is better than all hers put together!

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Some one page Michael Bay there's a movie here!! The rivalry between two Pokenerds comes to an epic confrontation filled with cute and strange Japanese toys and BAYSPLOSIONS!!!-

dodo1331

May 23, 2009
So the pokemon stuff was.. Filling up her house?

When virtual pixels start interfering with your family life, that is when you stop.

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
Am I the only one who wants to park a van outside her house with 'Team Rocket' written on the side just to make her paranoid?

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
PartyMonkey said:
I have a pikachu
Groudon used Earthquake! It's super-effective! Pikachu fainted!
OT: That's awesome. So did she get all 493 pokemon in the games? And how big would that Tyranitar be?

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
Awesome, I would love to jump into all of those plushies and be lost in a suffocating paradise of dreams.

flaming_squirrel

Jun 28, 2008
Saw her on the news today, unsurprisingly creepy.

That stuff was quite litterally all over the place, walls, floor (ceiling?), everywhere.

HSIAMetalKing

Jan 2, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
Will Belle Starenchak be able to take back the throne next year, or will Lisa Courtney's unhealthy obsession keep her on top of the mound? We'll have to wait and see, friends.
"Unhealthy?" Sounds to me like Pokemon helped Lisa get through some tough times in her life!

FactualSquirrel

Dec 10, 2009
Well, the Lara Croft thing didn't surprise me, and I bet at least an eighth of that is in her jubblies tatty bojangles.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
oppp7 said:
PartyMonkey said:
I have a pikachu
Groudon used Earthquake! It's super-effective! Pikachu fainted!
OT: That's awesome. So did she get all 493 pokemon in the games? And how big would that Tyranitar be?
6'07" if memory serves

OT: damn! I mean I have a huge collection of FF merchandise but my obsession isn't nearly as big as this womans.

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
Outlaw Torn said:
Am I the only one who wants to park a van outside her house with 'Team Rocket' written on the side just to make her paranoid?

Great idea! I'd dress up in their uniforms as well!

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
I want that book. I want to be in it. I dont know what to do to get in it..
Maybe we can squeeze The Escapist into there somehow.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
That's way to many Pokémon.I think she might be mentally unsafe or something.

Attractive girl though.