Anime Review: El Cazador de la Bruja

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
Anime Review: El Cazador de la Bruja

In a nutshell: superb dubbing, cute witches, and delicious tacos.

Read Full Article

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I have to pretty much agree with the article. I watched it and found it entertaining, but, watching it again and actually purchasing it...Ill need to ass

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
FFFFFFFF! That is one of the worst and laziest series I have ever seen. The writer basically threw a bunch of anime archetypes into Mexico as seen through (kinda racist) japanese bizarro-vision. The plot and its progression feels incredibly artificial, especially the bad guy's goings on which basically comes down to mustache-twirling. Every character they encounter is so flat and badly written that it could've easily been replaced with a series of plaques entitled "Moral of the day".

I realize where you're coming from mindlesspuppet, but there are so many series superior in every way to this one that making excuses for it just feels wrong. The autistic McGuffin Girl protected by a big brother/sister character has been done before, and much better. By the way, what's up with anime writers' fascination with autistic little girls? It actually gets rather creepy at more than one occasion in this series (and I'm not talking about Piano-wire Boy). Specifically towards then end when they ham-handedly try to explain Ellis' origin and her relation to the scientist.

Actually, I think the worst part is that they used up a setting and mythology (that they admittedly hardly used at all) that could've been really interesting, given a proper treatment.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Dectilon said:
FFFFFFFF! That is one of the worst and laziest series I have ever seen. The writer basically threw a bunch of anime archetypes into Mexico as seen through (kinda racist) japanese bizarro-vision. The plot and its progression feels incredibly artificial, especially the bad guy's goings on which basically comes down to mustache-twirling. Every character they encounter is so flat and badly written that it could've easily been replaced with a series of plaques entitled "Moral of the day".

I realize where you're coming from mindlesspuppet, but there are so many series superior in every way to this one that making excuses for it just feels wrong. The autistic McGuffin Girl protected by a big brother/sister character has been done before, and much better. By the way, what's up with anime writers' fascination with autistic little girls? It actually gets rather creepy at more than one occasion in this series (and I'm not talking about Piano-wire Boy). Specifically towards then end when they ham-handedly try to explain Ellis' origin and her relation to the scientist.

Actually, I think the worst part is that they used up a setting and mythology (that they admittedly hardly used at all) that could've been really interesting, given a proper treatment.
SO in other words its mediocre and generic with spotty writing, I saw a couple eps of this one but forgot to keep watching to many other good shows at the time. There are always better shows so meh the review boils down to anime and possibly western fans may like it.

Question have you seen Michiko to Hatchin?

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
Dectilon said:
I'm not really sure that I did make any excuses for it. I enjoyed the series despite of its shortcomings. I'm a huge fan of westerns, and it was nice to see what was almost a pure western for a once. If nothing else I found this to be a refreshing change of pace.

I should point out that I didn't exactly give it glowing recommendations. So seems kind of unwarranted to state there's better stuff out there.

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
I'm one of those people that fell in love with the series. Saw it from beginning to end with no real problems. I loved the main girls and Westerny feel. And every time I see the title or main characters, I get this warm fuzzy feeling inside regarding to this weird emotional attachment I had while seeing it for the first time.

The largest post-issue I've had with El Cazador is that, while the two main characters are unforgettable, the rest is. I only vaguely remember the stalker and end-game, I half-way forgot the plot up until reading this review, and I can't remember a single episode outside of the one where they sing about tacos. This is largely to blame on the fact that there is nothing really flashy about the anime, no huge main-stays that will pull you back. It's just one of those animes that leaves you wishing for something that will remind you about all the great times you had with it instead of leaving you with vague feelings and impressions.