Rockstar Dismisses Workplace Allegations

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Rockstar Dismisses Workplace Allegations

Rockstar [http://www.rockstargames.com] has finally issued a public response to the recent accusations of poor working conditions at its studios, saying that the complaints are nothing but "the opinions of a few anonymous posters on message boards."

Attention to the alleged plight of workers at internal email [http://www.rockstarsandiego.com/] that was quickly leaked to Gamasutra, but some commenters claimed that its offer of "support" for disaffected workers was too little, too late.

Now, almost two weeks after it all began, Rockstar has taken the same basic approach in its first public comments on the matter. "As for the stories spreading around the internet, yes we have noticed them," the company wrote in the "Asked & Answered [http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/2010/01/21/2821/asked_&_answered_-_re_red_dead_redemption_l.a._noire_rockstar_san_diego_and_more]" section of its website. "Unfortunately, this is a case of people taking the opinions of a few anonymous posters on message boards as fact. No business is ever perfect, but Rockstar Games is a tight knit team made up of around 900 supremely talented and motivated professionals, many of whom have worked here for a very long time."

"We're saddened if any former members of any studio did not find their time here enjoyable or creatively fulfilling and wish them well with finding an environment more suitable to their temperaments and needs, but the vast majority of our company are focused solely on delivering cutting edge interactive entertainment," the statement continued. "We've always cared passionately about the people working here, and have always tried to maintain a supportive creative environment. There is simply no way Rockstar could continue to produce such large scale, high quality games without this. That being said, making great games is very challenging, which is why we have and will continue to try to keep hold of some of the best talent in the industry and support them in every way we can."

It's a predictable approach - deny, shift blame, cast some gentle aspersions - but also a potentially valid one. A few Rockstar employees, under cover of the internet's anonymity, have spoken out against the company, but as a group they have thus far remained silent. Without any semblance of a unified complaint, Rockstar's position that all the noise is coming from a small handful of malcontents is difficult to dispute.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
it may be valid but now i cant shake the feeling that rockstars developer teams are locked in an underground cave where they are getting whipped by an ogre to make them work faster.

and i was with rockstar up until this.

Saul B

Feb 9, 2009
Nobody is stopping the staff from quitting... Maybe they're just griefing to squeeze extra pay from Rockstar. But I see where they're coming from. Pay should be raised IMO.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Stranger and stranger.

I'm not really a Rockstar fan anyway, though, so I'm not really that bothered.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Huh, never bought a rockstar game, but all I can say is that I'm not surprised, business who need to cut costs generally do it too their employees first

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
It's very, very obvious to me that there's truth to the allegations. I can tell just by the response from Rockstar which ducks and weaves snakily around the issue big-time. They're more than happy to say what a "tight-knit community" they are, and wax lyrical about the "supportive environment", but they stop well short of saying anything concrete like "we do not make our workers work 72 hour weeks" or "all benefits have remained completely intact".

I work in the music business which, like computer games making, is a "glamour industry", and therefore very similar exploitation goes on. The economics of a glamour industry is always that companies can get away with exploitation, because the amount of people who want to work in these industries always far exceeds the amount of available positions, even in a company with a dirty reputation. They will continue to get away with it no matter what. Nobody will complain en masse because if all 900 workers at Rockstar quit, Rockstar could probably find another 900 in a matter of weeks. It probably wouldn't even put them behind schedule.

Zenode

Jan 21, 2009
They dodge it way to easily, SOMETHING is going on.

[sub]this came from g4tv amirite ;-)[/sub]

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Booze Zombie said:
Stranger and stranger.

I'm not really a Rockstar fan anyway, though, so I'm not really that bothered.
Same.

But certainly intrested to see how the wives are going to react to this...

Earthmonger

Apple Blossoms
Feb 10, 2009
I had to wiki Rockstar Games to remember who they were. Never bought or played a single title developed by them.

Rockstar Games is a tight knit team made up of around 900 supremely talented and motivated professionals
900 people? Tight-knit? Yeah, right. Even 50 employees is adequate to start introducing involuntary neglect. 100, and you've completely lost the intimacy implied by the word "team". 900? Nobody knows what the Hell is going on.

AnonymouZero

Oct 23, 2009
so rockstar is actually taking the approach EA has to its employees... tough if those programmers of awesome let themselves be taken advantage of...

in other words... tough titties for them... if it's true. but... why bother using your anonymity for something that is NOT real, or not an important issue that could cost you your job (see that "wish them well" part? that's them trying to find out who did it so they get a quick swift on their ass that would plant them on the street)

regardless... sad to know, but it ain't gonna stop me from buying GTA V xD

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Earthmonger said:
Rockstar Games is a tight knit team made up of around 900 supremely talented and motivated professionals
900 people? Tight-knit? Yeah, right. Even 50 employees is adequate to start introducing involuntary neglect. 100, and you've completely lost the intimacy implied by the word "team". 900? Nobody knows what the Hell is going on.
Hell, I work with less than 20 people and nobody knows what the fuck is going on.

ma55ter_fett

Oct 6, 2009
It would be nice if a few people stepped forward, I mean if it sucks that much to work there quit and spill the beans on your employers dirty laundry.

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
BonsaiK said:
It's very, very obvious to me that there's truth to the allegations. I can tell just by the response from Rockstar which ducks and weaves snakily around the issue big-time. They're more than happy to say what a "tight-knit community" they are, and wax lyrical about the "supportive environment", but they stop well short of saying anything concrete like "we do not make our workers work 72 hour weeks" or "all benefits have remained completely intact".
Exactly what I thought. If the allegations are false, then why don't they straight up say so, instead of dodging the issue at hand?

I call bullshit.

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
-Stranger- said:
BonsaiK said:
Exactly what I thought. If the allegations are false, then why don't they straight up say so, instead of dodging the issue at hand?

I call bullshit.
true.

but isn't there some kind of organization that makes sure companies don't exploit their employees? shouldn't they be all over it?
on the one hand, no-one is stopping them from quitting but on the other hand, when game developers are firing people by the busload, where are they going to find another job?

the problem here is that we don't know what's going on and who's lying. it could be either one of the groups. or both of them. we only have their word for it.

brewbeard

Nov 29, 2007

I call bullshit.
You'll notice that at the same time they include a threat against anyone within their company who actually goes public by, "[wishing] them well with finding an environment more suitable to their temperaments and needs."

I.E. "We're doing what we're being accused of and we don't have any plans on stopping anytime soon, so if you have a problem with it then shut up or get out." It's difficult to get a job in the games industry, even harder to get a job with any kind of stability there, and if the price of that stability is never having any time to yourself there's a solid percentage of people pursuing such a position who are obviously willing to pay it. This high supply and low demand makes it pretty much impossible for a union to form (and unions are 'choose the lesser evil' solution anyway), so short of government action or a significant decline in Rockstar's popularity, it's very unlikely that they'll change.

Vierran

None here.
Oct 11, 2009
I am waiting for Red Dead Redemption to come out then we will see what the workers have to say.