If You Have a Bigger Brain You're Probably a Better Gamer

Lauren Admire

Rawrchiteuthis
Aug 8, 2008
If You Have a Bigger Brain You're Probably a Better Gamer

According to a new study, the size of certain structures in your brain may determine your success in videogames.

Ever wondered why you may struggle at learning the basics of a new videogame but your friend can beat it without breaking a sweat? It may not have as much to do with skill as you'd think. Researchers from the University of Illinois have found that videogame savants outperform novices on basic measures of attention and perception. Experts outperforming newbies is no great surprise, but it turns out that even 20+ hours of training and practice didn't improve the novices' performance. The researchers theorized that there was an actual physical barrier keeping the schmoes from becoming pros.

The brain structures responsible for gaming performance are called the caudate, the putamen and the nucleus accumbens. The caudate and putamen are responsible for motor learning, as well as the ability to shift between tasks. The nucleus accumbens is responsible for processing emotions associated with reward or punishment.

The one question the researchers asked was: "Is bigger better?"

During a study, they asked half of the gamers to focus on upping their overall score in a game, and the other half to focus on increasing their skills at one part of the game at a time, a learning process called "variable priority training." They found that players with a larger nucleus accumbens did better than others in earlier stages of the training period. Dr. Kirk Erickson , a professor of psychology at the University of Pittsburgh, says that this is to be expected:

[blockquote]This makes sense because the nucleus accumbens is part of the brain's reward center, and a person's motivation for excelling at a video game includes the pleasure that results from achieving that specific goal. This sense of achievement and the emotional reward that accompanies it is likely highest in the earliest stages of learning.[/blockquote]

Essentially, players with the largest putamen, nucleus accumbens and caudates were the best at playing videogames. Unfortunately, I don't think there's a Brain Age for increasing those brain parts.

Source: Science Daily [http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/01/100120093521.htm]

(Image [http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:MRI_head_side.jpg])

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
That must be why I fail at video games then, I only excel when I'm having much fun, but that is really rare.

Interesting article all the same, I wonder if it could be applied to similar things.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Well... I'm stumped. I'm ok at games. Better than some, luckier that others, and worse than more than a few players...
I can't really care about my brain making a difference, as long as I g=don't have a Commisurectomy.
[small]Tasukete Onii-Nii! [/small]
I don't feel much pleasure for reaching goals... I think.
Well there are a few goals, like becoming a Councilor and a Lord. That made me happy.

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
I wonder if there is a scan you can get to measure these structures in your brain? I'd like to know how mine stack up versus my gaming ability.

elfshiree

Jan 20, 2010
I wonder if along those lines using more of certain parts of your brain would make you better at certain kinds of games: Puzzle games, adventure games, first person shooters, rpgs, etc. Because I am pretty good at some games like Tetris and and alot of rpg's but I can not for the life of play first person shooters. I am such a noob when it comes to like Halo and Modern Warfare.

Supreme Unleaded

Aug 3, 2009
I feel that it is still a bit more skill then brain power.

Using MW2 as an example, the ones that do good are the ones that see the siloetts in the corner of their eye, the ones that listen for footsteps and where gunfire is comming from.

When i see something out of the corner of my eye i always check that area, not follow the person but just stop and listen for footsteps, then continue to an ambush point.

When my friend plays he runs right into the fray and doesnt check his corners ect, he sucks at the game.

Asturiel

the God of Pants
Nov 24, 2009
Supreme Unleaded said:

Using MW2 as an example, the ones that do good are the ones that see the siloetts in the corner of their eye, the ones that listen for footsteps and where gunfire is comming from.

When i see something out of the corner of my eye i always check that area, not follow the person but just stop and listen for footsteps, then continue to an ambush point.

When my friend plays he runs right into the fray and doesnt check his corners ect, he sucks at the game.
But you think of those things potentially because you have a larger brain. Also that is more you applying common sense into videogamings, like people who listen to L4D music and people who turn it off.

However this isnt too surprising, if you are more motivated to hit that new checkpoint or kill total you should perform better since you have a motive. An army of virtue is better than an army of mercenaries.

Supreme Unleaded

Aug 3, 2009
Asturiel said:
Supreme Unleaded said:

But you think of those things potentially because you have a larger brain. Also that is more you applying common sense into videogamings, like people who listen to L4D music and people who turn it off.

However this isnt too surprising, if you are more motivated to hit that new checkpoint or kill total you should perform better since you have a motive. An army of virtue is better than an army of mercenaries.
Okay you kinda got me there, i am very smart for my age. I understand concepts easy and im just simply very smart. But still, it just seems that knowing that game more tells you how good of a player you are, not your intelagence.

For instance, on of my friends is in a Search and Destroy clan, his team is elegedly 4th best in the US, hes got 845 wins with only 89 losses, and he's not as smart as me. So while i do admit, intelagence does play a role, its not as big as these people think it is.

May 28, 2009
Furburt said:
Well, it certainly helps when playing Myst.

I got pretty far in that without an FAQ! And then failed.
Damnit, everytime someone mentions that series I have a nostalgia attack. It certainly sucks when the only game from it I now have is the fifth, which I don't like.

OT: I guess I can brag about this to my friends now.

Bitches don't know about my putamen.

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
Heh.
Heheheheh.
I like my brain. Probably the one thing I really like about myself.
OT: With this very useful and new and not at all obvious information, I shall ascend higher into the hole of gamerdom!

Asturiel

the God of Pants
Nov 24, 2009
Supreme Unleaded said:
Okay you kinda got me there, i am very smart for my age. I understand concepts easy and im just simply very smart. But still, it just seems that knowing that game more tells you how good of a player you are, not your intelagence.

For instance, on of my friends is in a Search and Destroy clan, his team is elegedly 4th best in the US, hes got 845 wins with only 89 losses, and he's not as smart as me. So while i do admit, intelagence does play a role, its not as big as these people think it is.
Theres different types of smarts as well to consider. Some people are just natural people people, able to know what your thinking from the slightest quirk and smile but they get 40s in english and maths and such. There are people who are natural genius' in school but are completly retarded when actually applying those skills.

Then there are people who are just plain good at video games, those high score bastards at the arcade that you could never possibly achieve.

I would like to say gaming greatness is a recipe Inteligence+ Skill+ Adaptability=Ability.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Parts responsible for attention and perception? Hmm...that actually explains a great deal...both about my gaming ability and my general intellectual makeup offline.

EmeraldGreen

Professional Lurker
Mar 19, 2009
Supreme Unleaded said:

Read the article again. It's not talking about intelligence in general - or IQ, which is linguistic/logical/spatial intelligence. What it talks about is the parts of the brain responsible for motor learning (learning to control your physical movements), quickly switching between different tasks, and emotions related to reward/punishment. These parts of the brain have a strong influence on your skill as a gamer. (Which is really not very surprising...)

You're right in saying that it's only one factor. Obviously someone who plays videogames several hours every day will be better at them than someone who only picks up a controller every month or so, even if the monthly gamer's putamen, nucleus accumbens and caudates are larger than the daily gamer's. But suppose they both start learning a completely unfamiliar game, one where prior experience won't help much, and spend the same amount of time on it. The monthly gamer might still learn it faster, because his brain is suited to the task.

thenamelessloser

Jan 15, 2010
This is probably why I like RPGs more than games requiring reflexes...

One problem though, I don't know if 20 hours is enough time to make a noticeable size difference... I mean what if the player was playing it for like thousands of hours instead...

Like Taxi drivers in London I think have a part or more of their brain that are larger than normal but they spend TONS Of hours much more than 20... Or maybe those parts were bigger for them than normal to begin with...

It is hard to tell at times what caused what in neuroscience...

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Makes sense to me. I'm really good at learning and improving in games early on, which is probably mostly the brain side of it and after some time I peak and can't get to the best of the best which is probably because of sensory limitations.

I can literally go to a friend's place and kick his ass in a fighting game after a few matches even tough he owns it and I have never played it before. It's got to do mainly with pattern recognition I suppose. But when it comes to arcade like games with lots of repetition and awareness difficulty then I'm never one of the best.

Nice news, always good to have some (somewhat) credible studies.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
The_ModeRazor said:
Heh.
Heheheheh.
I like my brain. Probably the one thing I really like about myself.
OT: With this very useful and new and not at all obvious information, I shall ascend higher into the hole of gamerdom!
HURRAY FOR THE BRAINY ESCAPISTS!!! LET US ALL SALUTE TO OUR BRAINS!!!

OT: Now that's something good to know

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
Now it makes sense why I'm top of my class AND am quite good at games.

My brain feels a smug sense of win right now.