Stephen Fry Wants to Write Doctor Who

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Stephen Fry Wants to Write Doctor Who

Actor, writer, comedian, and all-round British treasure Stephen Fry, has expressed an interest in writing for the new Doctor Who.

Stephen Fry's contribution to the world of geek are numerous yet subtle; he lent his voice to Fable 2 and Blackadder [http://www.amazon.com/LittleBigPlanet-Game-Year-Playstation-3/dp/B002ELCUUG/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1280257395&sr=1-1], and championed Twitter, but if he has his way, that contribution will a lot more direct.

Speaking at the British National Television Awards, where he won an award for his recent documentary series Stephen Fry: in America [http://www.amazon.com/Stephen-Fry-America-2pc/dp/B003KV3E40/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1280257562&sr=1-1] and a 'Special Recognition' award, Fry spoke about how a scheduling conflict meant that he had to pass up an opportunity to write for the show when Russell T Davies was at the helm, but that he would be very interested in writing for the new Doctor, Matt Smith.

"The window passed, and I never really got round to it, but I'm very happy to have had the experience of thinking about it... I look forward so much to seeing Matt Smith and I'm sure he's going to be wonderful. If I get time it'll be a thrill, I can't think of anything nicer."

Doctor Who is a quintessentially British show, and in the whole world, there are few men who personify the best parts of Britain quite like Stephen Fry and as a long time fan of his work, I'd love to see what he'd do with the good Doctor.

Source: io9 [http://io9.com/5454280/introducing-the-perfect-guest-doctor-who-writer]

Disembodied_Dave

The Could-Have-Been-King
Feb 5, 2009
I wish Stephen Fry would play the Doctor. Regardless I'm sure any involvement he would have with the show would be quite interesting.

Ultracake

Aug 18, 2009
Stephen fry is my homeboy. every night i go to sleep listening to his voice.

No, I'm serious. Books on tape.

ThisTypeofThinking

Jul 2, 2009
I always liked him, I would probably watch Dr. Who at least once if he did this. I thought it was slightly amusing that he played a character about as straight as his nose in V for Vendetta.

Lexodus

Apr 14, 2009
ThisTypeofThinking said:
I always liked him, I would probably watch Dr. Who at least once if he did this. I thought it was slightly amusing that he played a character about as straight as his nose in V for Vendetta.
What's so amusing? He is gay, after all.

gamefreakbsp

Sep 27, 2009
Stephen Fry is an amazing actor and comedian. I do not know how well he writes, but I think that would be really neat if he wrote Doctor Who.

Mana Fiend

Jun 8, 2009
I'd love to see this; Stephen Fry is, without doubt, one of the greatest British personalities on TV at the moment, and I'd be really excited if he was given this chance :)

Any opinions expressed above are completely my thoughts.

May 28, 2009
Stephen Fry improves all just by being Stephen Fry. Maybe I'll actually get round to watching more of the show with knowledge he is contributing to it.

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
if there anywhere neaar as good as his books ill finally give in and watch doctor who

<3 stephen

Apr 28, 2008
If he does or not, it will not change the fact that he is awsome.

But I would still love to see what he would do with Doctor Who.

Lord George

Aug 25, 2008
He's a good writer and I'd love to see what he could do with Dr. Who also you know ITS GOD DAMN STEPHEN FRY - HE SHITS RAINBOWS.

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
Correction to start, he lent his voice to Hitchhiker's Guide, he didn't actually appear in it.

I think Fry probably could co-write an episode but I couldn't see him penning a full one. I'm not saying he can't, I just can't see it.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Stephen Fry is one of my favourite presenters and personalities on British TV at the moment. He's a good actor, as seen in things like V for Vendetta and St. Trinians. He's a great presenter (I absolutely love QI) and he's a great comedian. And as a writer? Personally I reckon his style would be well suited to Doctor Who. I'm a big Fry fan, but as a Doctor Who fanboy as well (and one who is actually looking forward to the Matt Smith/Steven Moffat era, despite missing David Tennant already) I think this would be a great coup for the show. Stephen Fry is something that is quintessentially British, as Logan said, and also someone well recognised by people of all ages in this country. And he has the skills necessary to write well for the show. Bringing Stephen Fry and the good Doctor together can only be a good thing, and I really do hope he gets to write for the show at some point in the near future.

And as a side note, is anyone else excited to see the return of the Weeping Angels in Series 5? Blink was by far my favourite Tennant-era episode, and I can't wait to see how Moffat (who himself wrote Blink) brings them into the fray again this time round :)

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
lycanthrope321 said:
Lexodus said:
ThisTypeofThinking said:
What's so amusing? He is gay, after all.
I did not know this.
I thought it was well known. Same with Ian McKellen.

I'd love to see a Fry-directed episode at least once. Maybe one of the specials. Don't know if he's got the style to be a consistent writer, but I really hope he would be.

happysock

Jul 26, 2009
D4zZ said:
That would probably make me watch Doctor Who, at least once.
I'm with you it would make me watch it more often, I didn't really like some of the older episodes, although I enjoyed the last episode with David Tennant.