Kiss Your Life Goodbye Inside the WOW Pod

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Kiss Your Life Goodbye Inside the WOW Pod

The dream has come true for World of Warcraft [http://www.worldofwarcraft.com] fans looking for the ultimate in both immersion and isolation: The WOW Pod, an "immersive architectural solution" with a built-in crapper and its own self-cooking food supply.

From the outside the WOW Pod appears to be little more than a small hut designed in Orcish style, but it's far more than just a freestanding closet with an animal skin over the entrance. Amenities include a small counter with a swing-out keyboard stand, a selection of pre-packed food with names like "Crunch Spider Surprise" and "Soothing Turtle Bisque" and a computerized mini-stove to cook them, a digital surround-sound setup and perhaps most important of all, a throne with a built-in "throne."

The cooking system actually ties directly into the game. Each food pack has a code that can be scanned into the pod's computer, which then automatically adjusts the stove temperature and cooking time to ensure a perfect meal every time. When it's time to eat, the player's character will announce to everyone nearby that dinner is served and automatically put him or her into AFK mode.

I can't decide if the WOW Pod is incredibly awesome or the worst thing to happen to MMOGs since someone cast a fateful eyeball on a discarded tubesock. I suspect it's both. Give it a look at the WOW Pod website and decide for yourself: Is this the next big advancement in gaming or a one-way ticket to Hell?

(And yes, "throne" means toilet. You may never have to stand up again.)

via: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5220711/the-wow-pod-is-a-suicide-booth-for-warcraft-fans]

grinklehi

Sep 10, 2008
Kinda cool in theory, but flawed in execution. Questions I would like to ask include:

1). How is the food restocked, and what is the cost?

2). When set up, is the Toilet hooked up to your plumbing? And if so, what is the extra cost?

3). The food sounds pretty nasty, and quite frankly I felt sorry for my Gnome mage because she had to taste-test them. Can the in-house computer be programmed to cook other, more normal and edible foods?

ravensshade

resident shadow
Mar 18, 2009
grinklehi said:
Kinda cool in theory, but flawed in execution. Questions I would like to ask include:

1). How is the food restocked, and what is the cost?

2). When set up, is the Toilet hooked up to your plumbing? And if so, what is the extra cost?

3). The food sounds pretty nasty, and quite frankly I felt sorry for my Gnome mage because she had to taste-test them. Can the in-house computer be programmed to cook other, more normal and edible foods?
1. probably by buying the food yourself (which due to that specific stuff might be quite expensive)
2. i don't expect it to be
3. my guess would be that the food is just theme named and are actually quite normal

also it looks rather well for want of a better word sad..

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
People just become lazier and lazier. Please don't buy this, save your soul.

Bagaloo

Sep 17, 2008
Now that made me chuckle...I wonder how many will actually sell?

*Edit*

I believe I misinterpreted it, this isn't something you can actually buy for your own use is it? Its just a display in a museum?

Steve Dark

Oct 23, 2008
Fix me up a General Gaming version with all the consoles and I'm sold! Screw you Reality, you've been replaced! :D

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
I play WoW, and I have to say that that thing looks like the worst thing to happen to mankind since... well... the release of WoW.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
E_nchanted said:
Fate in Humanity -1
Damn. My destiny power is getting lower... Better buy some tarot cards.

But spelling mistakes aside, this can't be for real. I refuse to believe that someone would be willing to make something like this, and then sell it. I would NEVER get something like this, as I still like the ourdoors.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Sevre90210 said:
People just become lazier and lazier. Please don't buy this, save your soul.
You're right, people really are getting lazier, especially about reading. Like that bit in the article were it mentions it's an art installation in a museum and not a product.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Danzorz said:
scotth266 said:
E_nchanted said:
Fate in Humanity -1
Damn. My destiny power is getting lower... Better buy some tarot cards.

But spelling mistakes aside, this can't be for real. I refuse to believe that someone would be willing to make something like this, and then sell it.
Well prepare to hang yourself, I bet 5 of these are being made right now.
This gives me the feeling of watching the South Park parody occuring in real life. It's like handing a meth addict some clean needles, a closed room, and all the supplies they'll ever need. And then profiting from it.

Then again, I dislike WoW. Didn't give me a feeling of fun.

loudestmute

Oct 21, 2008
Intersting concept, but I have no desire to play WoW. Wake me up when they make a similar setup for Guitar Hero/Rock Band.

In a tour bus, of course.

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
My prophecy of the WoWtrix is becoming true. Soon, people will be plugged into WoW at all times, and become unable to differentiate between reality and game. They will think WoW is real, and then Blizzard will never let them go, because they'll have a guaranteed source of income.

I'll just go and found Zion now, shall I?

Velocirapture07

Jan 19, 2009
I just find this really creepy....And I can't get the image out of my head of a jabba the hutt like human being sitting inside this thing because it hasn't left in years...*shivers*

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
grinklehi said:
Hmm, interesting if it's not..

Guy: Dude, what's that smell?!
WoW Gamer: Poop
Guy: o_O
WoW Gamer: Yupp, life is good, here have a Turtle Bisque :D