David Jaffe: "F**k the motherf***king PS3!"

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
David Jaffe: "F**k the motherf***king PS3!"

Ever have a bad day at work? God of War creator David Jaffe certainly has - and he vented about his frustrations with the PS3 dev kit on his personal blog [http://criminalcrackdown.blogspot.com/2009/04/motherfuck.html].

Jaffe, who created the hit action game God of War during his tenure at SCEA before leaving to found his own studio, Eat Sleep Play, is known for being a fervent supporter of his former employer. He's also known for impassioned - occasionally rather exceptionally so - rants on his blog. Sometimes, the two intersect, like when he called out a mysterious MSNBC journalist [http://criminalcrackdown.blogspot.com/2009/02/is-this-biased-journalism-or-is-it-just.html] for being "biased" against the PS3.

So, perhaps it was time for a change.

[blockquote]For all the folks who think all I do is rah-rah the PS3 all the time, here's a switch for you:

F**K THE MOTHERF**KING PS3!!!!

At least the dev kit :)
[/blockquote]

This isn't Jaffe bemoaning the complexity of the PS3 hardware, or its oft-criticized difficult development process (Jaffe would probably side with Guerilla [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90678-Killzone-2-Dev-PS3-Development-Is-Easy] on the issue), or its high price, or anything that people usually criticize the PS3 for. No, Jaffe is angry at his PS3 dev kit because apparently, the things are too damn fragile:

[blockquote]DAMMIT! Today I broke off my 6th f**king USB port thingy that hooks the controller up to the dev kit. I know you can't tell all that well from this pic, but that little black tab on the floor is the thing that hooks the end of the usb cable into the ps3. And they are very, very fragile for some unknown motherf**king reason. And I was simply walking by the damn dev kit and the cord caught on my leg and snap! God Damn Motherf**ker just popped and shut my day down.[/blockquote]

It isn't just Jaffe's problem, either (or at least, he says it's not): "According to our producer Angelic, she has already had to send 8 of the God Damned things in for repair! So at least I don't feel so bad about being the only one this happens to. But still...DAMN!"

Alas, Jaffe may not be able to play whatever game he was hoping to try out until... well, tomorrow. This wouldn't be the first time the hot-tempered David Jaffe has spouted off on his blog [http://criminalcrackdown.blogspot.com/2007/05/thats-it-for-nowsee-you-soon.html], either.

One wonders what he'd do if he ever got a RRoD.

(CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=213456])

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
Pandalisk said:
a bit unprofessional dont you think?

still he does have a right to vent
I don't care how unprofessional he is if God of War 3 is as good as it looks.

Better than being like "We're the devs, you're the consumer, there's a wall here."

If anything, I find it funny in a sick sort of way. Like it makes him more human, more relate-to-able, more..."Yeah, I know, shit like that happens to me sometimes too.."

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
The bigger issue is how Samuel L. "Motherf**king" Jackson feels about the PS3...

Every console has its problems. But this is the first I've heard the involved the word fragile and wasn't about the PSP

Danzorz said:
So, the Dev kit for the PS3 is hard to do, what's new?
Read it again.

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
Danzorz said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
The bigger issue is how Samuel L. "Motherf**king" Jackson feels about the PS3...

Every console has its problems. But this is the first I've heard the involved the word fragile and wasn't about the PSP

Danzorz said:
Read it again.
Yes I did, It's hard to do in the sense that it is hard to maintain properly.
Okay then. I thought badly prematurely due to my "faith in humanity" stat being -50. Sorry.

theklng

May 1, 2008
Pandalisk said:
so unprofessional these days means that you have no right to have a personal opinion on a website on the internet if you work for a company? honestly i think people should start cutting slack for people that know what they're doing. i'm getting sick of people raving on about restrictions and procedures.

if him ranting is part of what leads his next game to be great, would you take that away from him?

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
Valiance said:
Pandalisk said:

Better than being like "We're the devs, you're the consumer, there's a wall here."

If anything, I find it funny in a sick sort of way. Like it makes him more human, more relate-to-able, more..."Yeah, I know, shit like that happens to me sometimes too.."
agreed

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Ah, David Jaffe. Awesome hijinks as always. I gotta say: that sucks that the damn things break so easily. So much for Sony manufacturing things better than MS, teeheehee...

(PLEASE NOTE: I'M BEING SARCASTIC. If you quote that last bit and call me out on it, I will call you an idiot, as it was a joke.)

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
theklng said:
Pandalisk said:
so unprofessional these days means that you have no right to have a personal opinion on a website on the internet if you work for a company? honestly i think people should start cutting slack for people that know what they're doing. i'm getting sick of people raving on about restrictions and procedures.

if him ranting is part of what leads his next game to be great, would you take that away from him?
you make it out like a personally insulted the man, i wasn't blatantly saying it, just noting is all

this is just a bit odd to me, unexpected

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
Danzorz said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Danzorz said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

Danzorz said:
Read it again.
Yes I did, It's hard to do in the sense that it is hard to maintain properly.
Okay then. I thought badly prematurely due to my "faith in humanity" stat being -50. Sorry.
Hold up, it's only -50? Wow, you have at least 30 times more faith than me.
Yeah. Recently got a HUGE boost when I played Hotel Dusk: Room 215.

loudestmute

Oct 21, 2008
Wow. Who would have guessed that the man who created Kratos and Sweet Tooth would have some sort of anger problem?

Jaffe's got just as much right to have an angry blog post about troubles at work as the rest of us, I don't see what the big deal is.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
I bet the bonus of GoW3 will be a secret level were you break PS3 dev kits...

"Destroy 10,000 dev kits in 5 minutes!"

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
oliveira8 said:

That's a lot of motherf**king dev kits to break in 5 motherf**king minutes!

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
cainx10a said:
oliveira8 said:

That's a lot of motherf**king dev kits to break in 5 motherf**king minutes!
They break fast dont they? ^^

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Valiance said:
Pandalisk said:

I know what you mean.
I sometimes get the feeling (after watching an interview) that Todd Howard was just unplugged before he was done charging.

edgeofblade

Jan 8, 2009
A RRoD is one thing. It's a piece of consumer electronics, and Microsoft will replace it.

This is a $2,000 dev kit. And it's laying waste to a few days of productivity. That's more worth getting pissed at.