Researchers Say Videogaming Does Not Cause Rickets

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Researchers Say Videogaming Does Not Cause Rickets

Researchers in the U.K. have discovered that, contrary to long-held conventional wisdom, videogaming does not cause rickets.

Okay, I admit it: That headline may not be entirely true. As you might have suspected, there has in fact been no "long-held conventional wisdom" that gaming causes rickets, a bone-softening disease most commonly suffered by small children in developing countries that can lead to fractures and deformities. But it is a fact that researchers in the U.K. have now stated explicitly that gaming does not cause rickets.

How did this rather odd situation come about? A paper published in the British Medical Journal [http://www.bmj.com/] by Professor Simon Pearce and Dr. Tim Cheetham of Newcastle University noted a rise in the incidence of the disease, which results from a deficiency in vitamin D. "Vitamin D levels in parts of the population are precarious," Pearce said. "The average worker nowadays is in a call center, not out in the field. People tend to stay at home rather than going outside to kick a ball around. They stay at home on computer games."

The mainstream media, naturally, seized upon the report with headlines blaring things like "Games Brief [http://www.metro.co.uk/news/810028-video-gaming-leads-to-surge-in-rickets] contacted both researchers for further comment. Fortunately, they seemed quite happy to set the record straight.

"I understand Metro has said that we have linked computers to rickets, whereas we are actually saying lack of outdoor activity in childhood is a risk for poor D nutritional state," Dr. Cheetham said, unequivocally adding, "We do not say that gaming causes rickets."

Furthermore, Professor Pearce noted, "The average age of a child with rickets is around 20 months old: Too young to use a keyboard and mouse!"

Pearce summed up his feelings about the job done by reporters even more succinctly in an email sent to Tom Watson, a Member of Parliament in the U.K. known for his support of the videogame industry. "No we really didn't do a study to show that, or say that gaming causes rickets," he wrote. "It was a classic piece of dodgy lazy journalism, taking three words out of PA's hyped-up version of our press release."

You can't get much more official than that.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=232600?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS]

GeneralGrant

Dec 1, 2009
Haha-not surprised. There are very few reporters who actually do a good job with medical research. Just make a sensational statement and publish it seems to be the rule.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
...Rickets. Seriously? Sorry, but the notion that there were ever headlines claiming "Videogames cause Rickets!!" is so mind-bogglingly ridiculous that I'm having trouble processing it.

I think I might have just become stupider. Opposite of yay!

Seriously though, the last time I even saw anyone mention Rickets was on a blog that makes spoofs of blog-to-book ideas (for a blog called 'When I had Rickets', an adorable photo journal of children with malformed limbs that was not adorable at all and actually rather horrible (and also really funny)).

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
This is why I don't believe most news I get. Colbert and Jon Stewart may be news sources too, but at least they're funny.

Noone From Nowhere

Feb 20, 2009
You'd think that those people never heard of hand-held/portable gaming or know that gamerooms can have windows other than the operating system...or, you know, that gamers don't spend all day,everyday playing games. Not even game testers do that!
That study was almost as wasteful as a study to see why some kindergardeners think paste tastes good.

Pingieking

Sep 19, 2009
GeneralGrant said:
Haha-not surprised. There are very few reporters who actually do a good job with medical research. Just make a sensational statement and publish it seems to be the rule.
Apply that to basically any scientific research. Journalism and science just doesn't seem to get along for some reason.

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
If I remember isn't rickets caused by not eating calcium and the like? What the hell does videogames have to do with calcium intake?

Feb 13, 2008
Gildan Bladeborn said:
...Rickets. Seriously? Sorry, but the notion that there were ever headlines claiming "Videogames cause Rickets!!" is so mind-bogglingly ridiculous that I'm having trouble processing it.
Front page of the Metro on Friday. Let me see if I can find it.

Edit: http://www.metro.co.uk/news/810028-video-gaming-leads-to-surge-in-rickets

http://e-edition.metro.co.uk/2010/01/22/ to see it in full :)

Sir Kemper

Jan 21, 2010
YES! Now i can safely game without the fear of rickets!

Wait....whats rickets again?

electric_warrior

Oct 5, 2008
GamingAwesome1 said:
If I remember isn't rickets caused by not eating calcium and the like? What the hell does videogames have to do with calcium intake?
Ricketts is caused by a lack of vitamin D (correct me if I'm wrong) you get vitamin D in large part from sunlight.

Andy_Panthro

Man of Science
May 3, 2009
Front page on the Metro, which made me laugh almost as much as it made me angry. I mean, FRONT PAGE NEWS? Makes me wonder if someone's having some sort of huge prank...

The quality of science coverage in the UK is an absolute disgrace. If it's not taking one line of a report out of context, it's printing a companies press release as if it were scientific fact!

May 28, 2009
Well done scientists! Disproving the stupidity of the media is almost as useful as finding out how many jelly babies it takes to choke a small child.

Now can you PLEASE research something useful, like super-efficient renewable energy, cold fusion or somesuch?

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
Andy_Panthro said:
Front page on the Metro, which made me laugh almost as much as it made me angry. I mean, FRONT PAGE NEWS? Makes me wonder if someone's having some sort of huge prank...

The quality of science coverage in the UK is an absolute disgrace. If it's not taking one line of a report out of context, it's printing a companies press release as if it were scientific fact!
Dude. Its the Metro.... nuff said

also is anyone else slightly perturbed that the 'UK' based article has an image of a Cricket videogame? Pidgeonholing much?

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
chrisdibs said:
GamingAwesome1 said:
Ricketts is caused by a lack of vitamin D (correct me if I'm wrong) you get vitamin D in large part from sunlight.
Bah, I'm thinking of a different bone disease.

Apr 28, 2008
KillerMidget said:
Well done scientists! Disproving the stupidity of the media is almost as useful as finding out how many jelly babies it takes to choke a small child.

Now can you PLEASE research something useful, like super-efficient renewable energy, cold fusion or somesuch?
Or the ability to punch that annoying person on the other end of xbox live.

Now that is something I would gladly pay for.

May 28, 2009
Irridium said:
KillerMidget said:

Or the ability to punch that annoying person on the other end of xbox live.

Now that is something I would gladly pay for.
Localised, justified electrocution via online gaming - the next renaissance.

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
They must be the same one who discovered the earth-shattering discovery going on the computer doesnt make your arms fall off what would we do without there infinite knowledge?

*Sarcasm deeper than the Atlantic ocean*

Xhu

Nov 15, 2009
If there weren't rumours about gaming causing rickets before, there will be now.

In other news, researchers say that there is absolutely no need to panic abut the recent potentially-fatal toxic waste spillage off the coast of Cornwall.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
...I was using a mouse and keyboard at 20 months... but I don't have rickets. Apparently, my doctor says my arm could survive having a small car drive over it.