Research Group: Pre-launch Apple Tablet Mostly Used For Games

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Research Group: Pre-launch Apple Tablet Mostly Used For Games

A research group has captured data from what it believes are prelaunch tablets being tested on Apple's Cupertino campus.

Using it's proprietary Flurry Analytics tool, the Flurry blog has reported what it has discovered about current usage of the unannounced Apple tablet. Flurry Analytics tracks the usage of mobile devices and offers that information to device manufacturers and software developers. Flurry claims that they've geographically pinpointed about 50 devices in use on Apple's campus in Cupertino which may match the specs of Apple's anticipated tablet. Tracking the applications running on those devices shows that the wide majority were games.

"The company identified approximately 50 devices that match the characteristics of Apple's rumored tablet device," Flurry reported. "Testing of this device increased dramatically in January, with observed signs of life as early as October of last year. Apple appears to be going through its cycle of testing and polish, which is expected from any hardware or software company as it nears launch."

Looking at which applications these supposed tablets are downloading and launching tells us that Apple is strongly betting on gaming.

"Historically, tablet devices have been considered substitutes for anything where workers use clipboards, note pads or day runners. In more industrial settings, they could be used for inventory management, taking purchase orders or data entry," Flurry said. "However, there was a surprising dearth of applications that support these use cases. Instead, the largest category was games. With a larger screen, more memory, multi-touch and multi-tasking expected, games will play better than ever on Apple handheld devices."

Apple is expected to announce their tablet device on January 27. I, however, will most likely be playing Mass Effect 2.

Source: Flurry [http://blog.flurry.com/bid/30019/Apple-Tablet-The-Second-Stage-Media-Booster-Rocket]

messy

Dec 3, 2008
Sorry how does this technology work, the one that allows them to track mobile devices. Is there not some breach of privacy?

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Unless it can run Painter XI it can GTFO.

But that would make it a brilliant digi sketchbook, better than a laptop or DS any day.

jpakaferrari

Nov 9, 2009
Two kinds of people use Apples creative people (artists, musicians) and very very uncreative people (stupid people/yuppies). I applaud Apple on their attempt to reach those in the middle. For my own part this product will prove to just another of their products that stoke the burning fire of hatred I feel towards Apple.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
jpakaferrari said:
Two kinds of people use Apples creative people (artists, musicians) and very very uncreative people (stupid people/yuppies). I applaud Apple on their attempt to reach those in the middle. For my own part this product will prove to just another of their products that stoke the burning fire of hatred I feel towards Apple.
Generalizations are bad.
Hate is bad.
Don't waste your energy on hating a company of all things- you could use that time and effort on pretty much anything else and be putting it to better use.

Still, I like touch screens. I've tried tablets (with pens rather than being a touch screen) with gaming to varying degrees of success, but its great with MMOs and RPGs.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
This might be a product I'm interested in. Seeing as I'm not a big fan of Apple, iPods, iPhones, and iBooks/Macs don't really have an appeal for me, but if this can fnction similarly to a Wacom tablet, then I might get it for drawing purposes (I can't draw, but seeing as I want to make video games for a living, I'll need to learn how to do basics). If it also is able to run GarageBand, then I'll be happy.