Alan Wake to "Blur Lines Between Games and TV"

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Alan Wake to "Blur Lines Between Games and TV"

The upcoming Alan Wake [http://www.amazon.com/Alan-Wake-Xbox-360/dp/B0010AYJXI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1279052013&sr=1-1] will be the closest thing to a TV thriller gaming has ever seen when it comes out (supposedly) later this year - according to Microsoft, anyway.

First announced back at E3 '05, psychological adventure Alan Wake has been lost in the mists of development hell for years, becoming one of those titles that's second-tier only to Duke Nukem Forever in terms of vaporware jokes. Now, it looks as though it's finally coming out this year, what with them actually showing off the gameplay at E3 '09. The game stars a bestselling novelist named, well, Alan Wake, who travels to a remote town with his wife to get inspiration for a book, but things go wrong in a manner reminiscent of shows like Twin Peaks [http://www.amazon.com/Twin-Peaks-Definitive-Gold-Complete/dp/B000UX6THK/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1280178187&sr=1-1] or the works of Stephen King (to name a few).

Comparisons to Twin Peaks and told CVG [http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Complete-Collection-Naveen-Andrews/dp/B0036EH3WK/ref=sr_1_4?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1280178202&sr=1-4] - Alan Wake is intended to be the closest thing that gaming has to a top-class TV thriller. "Alan Wake is on track from a development standpoint and will play an important role in our Spring 2010 game portfolio," said Disney, noting that Remedy had been polishing the game tremendously over the past few months (considering that they've had five years to work on the damn thing, one would hope it'd be polished).

"The time Remedy has spent on Alan Wake is indicative of the final result players can expect to see. The storyline will run as a driving factor throughout the game, creating an atmosphere that captivates the player in a way that many straight-out horror games do not ... Alan Wake will blur the lines between video gaming and television, and play on the strengths of both to create something truly compelling."

My first instinct is to be snarky and say that "video games are already on your TV, duh!" But you know what? I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and take it seriously - it's obvious that Microsoft is poising Alan Wake as a challenger to the similarly line-blurring Heavy Rain, though how the more traditionally "game-like" Alan Wake stacks up against the "interactive novel" of Quantic Dream's PS3 exclusive remains to be seen.

Okay, okay, I can't go completely snark-free: It's good to see that Remedy is striving to blur the line between something other than "released game" and "unreleased game" for once.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
I'm betting on Heavy Rain in this battle.

Come forth! Bet on who you think will be the winner! It all goes to charity!

Benjeezy

Dec 3, 2009
I commend you for having the testicular fortitude to take a verbal crack at this game. You've made my day, sir :)

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
I won't complain. If it's a good game, it's worth playing. And if it will include cinematic intensity etc., that can only be a good thing, right?

So long as they don't forget the game portion of the game.

klakkat

May 24, 2008
I hate TV... So I guess I won't be checking out Alan Wake, since TV is the last thing my games need (unless you count the TVs in Bloodlines... particularly with a Malkavian)

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
oh snap!

Looks interesting...ish.

Frankly, Alan Wake doesn't look anything like Heavy Rain, comparing the 2 isn't right.

It just sounds like some kind of publicity stunt on Microsoft's behalf, really.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Hubilub said:

As in rivaling TV or a top notch thriller my vote is on HR too. As in 'the better game' I really don't know. I have high hopes for both,altough I'm not sure how much I'll dig the HR gameplay structure.

DrScoobs

Mar 6, 2009
how pretentious. i swear, if i see another game that trys to be something other than a game then i will... get slightly annoyed :\

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
Hubilub said:

I think that this game will probably sell better (It has guns, and we all know people like guns), but Heavy Rain will probably be better cinematically.

Kaboose the Moose

Feb 15, 2009
Heavy Rain keeps reminding me of Indigo Prophesy. Alan Wake doesn't.

To me it's pretty clear where my 1st preference lies and it aint with the game that had me doing quick time events in the past.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
I'm still looking forward to the game, but I think I'd much rather it be presented as a game than something that "blurs the line between games and TV". Unless they're using that as a roundabout way of saying they're planning to run this as episodic content, it doesn't even have any real meaning.

To date, it is a rare occasion that a DLC release for a game I've 'finished' can drag me back in. All episodic gaming means to me at the moment is that the game I buy is going to have an unsatisfying cliffhanger ending, an extended wait between "episodes" that will kill my interest, and that they expect me to pay far more on the dollars/hour scale than a normal game does. I'm down on episodic gaming.

I do have a limited edition Alan Wake faceplate on my 360 though, courtesy of the Escapist editors :p

sephiroth1991 said:
yes cos games that are made to be like tv has never been done b4
Complete words and sentences are a valuable tool when trying to express yourself. Try harder.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
Hubilub said:

I got 600,000,000,000 kreditsThat's as much as 1 Swedish krona on Heavy Rain.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
RanD00M said:
Hubilub said:

I got 600,000,000,000 kreditsThat's as much as 1 Swedish krona on Heavy Rain.
I see what you did there

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I like Alan Wake better than Heavy Rain, and will probably get the former before the latter.

That said we've already seen the entire "Interactive Movie" thing back when CD Rom first came out, and I'm not a big fan since I like more control. I still remember things like "The Daedalus Encounter" starring Tia Carrera

Truthfully the whole "interactive novel" thing seems to be a way of saying "interactive movie" while trying to avoid the stigma that term achieved.

My concern about both is that while having a degree of control I'm going to spend more time "watching" the game than playing it.

FactualSquirrel

Dec 10, 2009
*loses all interest for the game*

If they're advertising as "close to tv" then I don't care.

I'm buying a game, dammit.

DarkSaber

Dec 22, 2007
Is it still going to be episodic? If it is, it's probably gonna be following the Half Life 2 approach of "the next part when we can be arsed."