Meet Two Guests of Arkham Asylum

Feb 13, 2008
Meet Two Guests of Arkham Asylum

As tension builds for the release of Arkham Asylum, Eidos is releasing profiles of who you're going to meet - introducing Mr. Bane and Ms. Harlene Quinzel.

Psychiatric Report

As citizens of Gotham will know, the transformation of psychiatrist Dr. Harlene Quinzel to her alter ego of Harley Quinn was a great loss to the Asylum. She still walks Arkham's corridors, although she is incarcerated there as a patient until such times as the Joker's madness can be cured. Her apparent belief that the Joker is her boyfriend has driven her mind to create an alternate reality in which she is a court jester with sociopathic tendencies.

The criminal known only as Bane (video report [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCPHdn8UCDw&feature=channel]) is more of a conundrum. Originally born to serve the death sentence of his father, the inmate of Peña Duro trained himself to a peak display of both mental and physical achievement before being experimented on by the drug known as Venom. While it does boost his natural abilities to superhuman levels, it also acts as a strong narcotic. It has proven impossible to wean him off Venom so far, but by keeping it at a minimal dosage, he is quite able to be contained in Arkham.

May I repeat at this opportunity that it is vital that both inmates are kept well away from the Joker as his influence on them is laughable.

Wait a minute? What did I mean by laugh...Ah ha ha ha HAHA HAHA HA!

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
*Fanboy Squeal*

Yes, it's about time.

Edit: It appears that Eidos really doesn't give a damn about their Source Material anymore.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
I've seen these already, but damn I have to say this game looks to be a LEGIT attempt to bring the Bat to gaming. The Quinn costume is a little weird, but it works. Bane looks like he should though. If the gameplay is decent, you can bank on this being a bestseller.

Feb 13, 2008
Well, Harley did need a little armor. The jester suit may have been nice to look at, but if Bats getting Kevlar, you'd expect the rest to do it as well.

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Well, Harley did need a little armor. The jester suit may have been nice to look at, but if Bats getting Kevlar, you'd expect the rest to do it as well.
I thought it was just a cut up straight jacket that she was wearing.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Tenmar said:
Oh my god they got the animated voice actors for the game! Good show! Also what the heck is with Quinn's hairstyle and mask? She looks like she beat up brittany spears and robin and mixed their clothes.
That's a pretty good reason to consider someone mentally deranged, is it not.

Rii Mitsukai

Sep 25, 2007
personally i have got to say i think harley looks quite sexy. i really cant wait for this game, mark hamill as the joker was one of the best decisions in batman history and bane does seem alot cooler now. i would also be interested if they decided to put manbat into the game cause he is a pretty cool enemy.

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
Harley Quinn kinda reminds me of someone I'd see in Pandemonium [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandemonium_(video_game)]. The voice actor is incredibly annoying, but I guess there isn't really a way to make dialogue like that not sound cheesy.
Did anyone else get a Bioshock feel from this?

TaborMallory

May 4, 2008
This video was unexpectedly atrocious.

Fightgarr said:
The voice actor is incredibly annoying, but I guess there isn't really a way to make dialogue like that not sound cheesy.
"Die, you big ugly bat!"

...and yes, the graphics and art style looked very similar.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Fightgarr said:
Harley Quinn kinda reminds me of someone I'd see in Pandemonium [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandemonium_(video_game)]. The voice actor is incredibly annoying, but I guess there isn't really a way to make dialogue like that not sound cheesy.
Have to agree with the costume kind of style... Actually, as others have already said, she does look kind of hot in that trailer :). The dialogue seems alright, and I reckon the voice definitely suits her (she is a sadistic psycho *****, after all). For some strange reason I absolutely love the character of Harley Quinn, more than any other (even more than B-Man himself) - what does that say about me, I wonder?

Disembodied_Dave

The Could-Have-Been-King
Feb 5, 2009
Fightgarr said:
Harley Quinn kinda reminds me of someone I'd see in Pandemonium [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandemonium_(video_game)].
Oh man.. She does!. It's like they took the two main characters from that game and combined them together.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
TaborMallory said:
This video was unexpectedly atrocious.

Fightgarr said:
The voice actor is incredibly annoying, but I guess there isn't really a way to make dialogue like that not sound cheesy.
"Die, you big ugly bat!"

...and yes, the graphics and art style looked very similar.
Its using the same engine me thinks. So it looks similar.

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
What they did to her is stupid on so many levels. Harley was never a slut for starters. Secondly, she was a psychiatrist with no physical prowess, why is she suddenly doing cartwheels, backflips, and trying to pick a fight with Batman?

I'm excited about the game, but god I wish they'd undo the Harley changes. Her costume, dialogue, and attitude don't fit the real character, especially the cartoon one the game is most based on.

Feb 13, 2008
Jennacide said:
What they did to her is stupid on so many levels. Harley was never a slut for starters. Secondly, she was a psychiatrist with no physical prowess, why is she suddenly doing cartwheels, backflips, and trying to pick a fight with Batman?

I'm excited about the game, but god I wish they'd undo the Harley changes. Her costume, dialogue, and attitude don't fit the real character, especially the cartoon one the game is most based on.
Realistically canon in Bats has always been up in the air, but as for her prowess, she was given a formula by Poison Ivy that increased her strength and agility, as well as making her immune to toxins. And I'd really rather have her as someone who can do something rather than talking about Puddin' all the time.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
...Am I the only person here who sees the Lovecraft influence on this? (i.e. Arkham Asylum)

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Aptspire said:
...Am I the only person here who sees the Lovecraft influence on this? (i.e. Arkham Asylum)
It's actually a tribute to Lovecraft. That's why they named Arkham.

Back to topic:Arrghh, the most annoying voice actor!!!!!