Battlefield: Bad Company 2 DRM Detailed

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 DRM Detailed

Remember how happy you were when you found out that Battlefield: Bad Company 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Battlefield-Bad-Company-2-Xbox-360/dp/B001QXNBJM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278699912&sr=1-1] is going to support dedicated servers? Get ready to kiss that pleasant feeling goodbye, because today we're going to learn about the DRM.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 scored some major PR points when it was discovered that Activision's made a point [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Modern-Warfare-Xbox-360/dp/B00269QLI8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278694263&sr=1-1] of emphasizing that it wouldn't abandon its faithful core of PC supporters and even posted a "Dedicated Server FAQ" on the Bad Company 2 website, "dedicated to our PC players."

DICE [http://www.dice.se/] will no doubt lose some of that goodwill, however, after today's update regarding the Bad Company 2 DRM. The short version: It's SecuROM. It's not the most intrusive, install-limiting version of the infamous copy protection software possible, but the name itself will probably be enough to put off a lot of potential buyers.

"The version which we use is a wrapper around the main game executable. It does everything it can by running as a 'normal' program; it does not install any sort of kernel software," explained [http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/battlefield_bad_company/archive/2010/01/26/BFBC2-PC-Copy-Protection.aspx##] Mikael Kalms, the lead programmer on the PC version of the game. "What this means is: No software is permanently installed on your machine, SecuROM is ONLY running when the game is running [and] when you uninstall the game, you will also uninstall the SecuROM software."

Owners will have two options to authenticate the game after it's installed: By putting the DVD in the drive for a disc check, or going online. With the disc in the drive, neither SecuROM nor the game will go online at all, so an internet connection will not be required in single player mode. Digital versions of the game will be required to authenticate online, obviously, but regardless of the version, the online check will only need to be done once: DICE has programmed the authentication to be valid for 10,000 days, meaning that a validation made on launch day (March 2, 2010) will be valid until July 18, 2037.

It sounds pretty reasonable to me. It's a complete waste of time, of course; there's probably even odds that the game will be cracked and available on torrents days before it hits store shelves. But if there's going to be DRM, this seems like a fairly reasonable approach: No internet connection required, an authentication that's good for three decades and no messy SecuROM extras hiding on your hard drive. Obviously some people won't be happy with that - SecuROM is SecuROM, after all - but at least it sounds like DICE is doing its best to ensure that the time its wasting on copy protection schemes isn't going to inconvenience people any more than necessary.

via: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=232926?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS]

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
At least its not full blown "OMG" sucks DRM. I an see this working at least. Better than past solutions and the Draconian SecuROM

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Compared to the shit ubisoft is pulling off, this is quite reasonable. My main gripe with securom is the fact that it includes a rootkit and if it's true that that part is not included here i might buy the game if it's good.

However, this isn't the first time somebody lied about the existence of said rootkit so i'll still be wary about this.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
I don't see the point of a 3 decade "limit" to be honest... What's the difference for them between 30 years and lifetime? But hey, seems reasonable enough.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
Lost In The Void said:
What happened to the No DRM trend. I prefer the day one DLC if this is its opposition
Yeah seriously wtf? I thought that was the direction EA was going in. And I also thought the Day one DLC was a huge success. So I'll say it again wtf? It's going to be cracked within hours so it just seems like a huge waste of time and money that could be spent on making the game not suck.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
I'm still against it personally. I'll play it, but I won't buy it. The only DRM a game needs is a good old fashioned disk check.

Even then, the word "need" is a stretch.

Apr 28, 2008
Bah, honestly with the whole Bioshock 2 and Ubisoft thing going on, this is definatly not the worst.

But still, EA didn't but Securom in Dragon Age or Mass Effect 2, so why Bad Company 2?

Caliostro said:
I don't see the point of a 3 decade "limit" to be honest... What's the difference for them between 30 years and lifetime? But hey, seems reasonable enough.
I'm guessing its just to make investors happy.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
I've never really had any problems with DRM in any game I've played. Sure, the install limits are stupid, but just having antipiracy stuff built in doesn't bother me as long as it doesn't break the game. I'm just getting annoyed with people bitching about it before they even try it. "Oh, it has DRM so we can't steal it, guess I'm not going to buy it anymore even though it won't effect game play AT ALL". But, whatever, I already preordered this off Steam, not much I can do about it now.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Okay... At least my D2D copy won't have SecuROM checks. Digital activation? I can swallow that. I've been with activations since Diablo 2, what I don't like are DRMs that punish me for buying the game.
Eukaryote said:
Well, looks like I wont be buying Bad Company 2 anymore. It is getting to the point where I will need to wait for the next Counter Strike to ever buy a primarily multiplayer FPS again.

Asehujiko said:
Compared to the shit ubisoft is pulling off, this is quite reasonable. My main gripe with securom is the fact that it includes a rootkit and if it's true that that part is not included here i might buy the game if it's good.

However, this isn't the first time somebody lied about the existence of said rootkit so i'll still be wary about this.
It doesn't matter if the bad stuff one publisher is doing is not as bad as another, IT IS STILL BAD!
Use D2D, fight the power.

Khell_Sennet said:
no mandatory Steam
Wait, why do you complain about Steam? It's one of the best gaming-related things installed on my PC. Better than XFire.

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
I love these posters that are still upset it is there and wont buy it...

Kinda retarded really? Its like you are angry just so that you can remain angry?

This DRM wont affect you at all... Either Int or Disk check... no extra files installed. What is the fucking problem people?

I cry 'SHEEP!!!' on this one.

Way to go Dice. I for one will be buying your awesome product.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Well, as long as it's not that Spore BS I'm ok with it. Also, the fact that I'll be getting it on the Xbox could be influencing my opinion...

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
t sounds pretty reasonable to me. It's a complete waste of time, of course; there's probably even odds that the game will be cracked and available on torrents days before it hits store shelves. But if there's going to be DRM, this seems like a fairly reasonable approach: No internet connection required, an authentication that's good for three decades and no messy SecuROM extras hiding on your hard drive.
sounds about right. People saying this is a deal-breaker just boggles the mind. Seriously, why is this so bad? No limited activations, no internet connection required, no back-door programs installed that can't be uninstalled...all sounds good to me.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
Actually, this is the best stab at SecuROM I've ever seen. If it doesn't install any kernel software, and only runs when the game does, then alright. I'm still not too psyched for this game, but this is good news.

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
I have always been hard-line anti-DRM, and I'm sure this system will be no more or less effective than any of the other systems. (It will be on the torrents before or soon after release day.)

Having said that, I'd buy this game. The optional activation means the game won't just DIE when the servers go down someday. I'll still grumble about it because that's what I do, but it wouldn't keep me from buying a game.

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
Ok, this doesn't bug me at all... Seems reasonable.

Except... Am I still going to need this while running Steam? Isn't Steam authentication enough..? Unless I somehow managed to hack my Steam program and make it download BC2 for me and install it and then play it perfectly.

Hell, if I could do that, I wouldn't be here.