Multiplayer Mecha Combat Explodes onto European WiiWare

Austin MacKenzie

Jan 26, 2010
Multiplayer Mecha Combat Explodes onto European WiiWare

European gamers pining for more opportunities to irradiate their buddy's giant robot with a laser will soon have their desires realized.

Overturn, which will be coming to WiiWare in Europe, is a mecha battling game in the style of the Virtual On series. Players choose between one of eight different mechs, customize them with a weapon payload, pick a color, and enter a small, enclosed arena where they fight to the death. The game supports 12 different weapons and a number of different modes including two player deathmatch and four player battle royale, played either locally or over WiFi. The game additionally includes six single player tournaments that allow for the unlocking of more options.

Publisher Gamebridge is bringing Overturn: Mecha Wars to the London MCM Expo, which will be taking place in October. Gamebridge hopes the game can tap into the Japanese mecha fanbase.

"We are thrilled to be launching Overturn at the MCM expo, it is the perfect launch pad for this title as it attracts thousands of avid fans of all things Japanese, especially the Mecha fans. We hope this game will give a boost to not only Mecha fans out there but also to the WiiWare audience," Gamebridge Product Manager Logan Gunasingham said in a press release posted on Gamebridge's official website.

While Overturn will be receiving an English localization treatment, it is not confirmed if it will see a US release. With a translation readily available, it will certainly be an attractive option for American publishers also looking to capitalize on the mecha fanbase in the States.

Source: <a href=http://www.gamebridge.co.uk/portals/gamebridge/products/overturn/home/index.php>Gamebridge

Tzekelkan

Dec 27, 2009
Huh? On Gamebridge it says the game came to MCM in October 2009. Is it out yet? On other websites this piece of news came last fall? What gives?

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
Looks sweet, if a bit simplistic. I always like a good WiiWare game, it shows there's more to console digital distribution than playing games that came out 10-20 years ago. Cheap, short and fun (NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits was my personal favourite).

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
I hope this comes to the U.S.. It looks interesting and I think with a few more game modes it will be a blast.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I misread it as "Multiplayer Mecha Combat Explodes onto European Warfare" and thought it would be a WWII game in an alternate history with mechs.

I was disappointed.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Austin MacKenzie said:
While Overturn will be receiving an English localization treatment, it is not confirmed if it will see a US release. With a translation readily available, it will certainly be an attractive option for American publishers also looking to capitalize on the mecha fanbase in the States.
I hope not. It's about time Europeans got something yanks don't. :)

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Yeah, it's been available in the US for a long time already, the writer of this article completely failed at research.