Microsoft Dropping Online Support for Original Xbox Games

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Microsoft Dropping Online Support for Original Xbox Games

Microsoft [http://www.microsoft.com] has announced that it will be dropping online support for all original Xbox consoles and games, including those that are played on the Xbox 360.

It's probably long overdue but that doesn't mean that a whole lot of Xbox owners aren't going to be seriously unhappy with this decision, as evidenced by many of the responses to the announcement on Xbox Live [http://majornelson.com/archive/2010/02/05/xbox-live-being-discontinued-for-original-xbox-consoles-and-games.aspx?PageIndex=1].

"I wanted to let you know that on April 15, 2010 Microsoft will discontinue Xbox Live service for original Xbox consoles and games, including Xbox 1 games playable on Xbox 360. Our first step in this process will be to turn off auto-renewals for those members who only use Xbox Live on a v1 Xbox," he wrote. "While I can't comment on the specifics, this change will allow us to continue evolving the Live service with new features and experiences that fully harness the power of Xbox 360 and the Xbox Live community. We did not make this decision lightly, but after careful consideration and review we realize that this decision will allow us unprecedented flexibility for future features."

Xbox Live General Manager Marc Whitten offered a few more details about the impending shutdown on the Halo: Reach [http://gamerscoreblog.com/press/archive/2010/02/05/gh789.aspx] on Xbox 360."

"Your Xbox Live community has grown to 23 million strong. And as we look down the road, we'll continue to evolve the service with features and experiences that harness the full power of Xbox 360. To reach our aspiration, we need to make changes to the service that are incompatible with our original Xbox v1 games," he continued. "We'll share more details soon, but in the meantime I want to assure you that the best is yet to come for Xbox Live."

As a PC gamer, my perspective is admittedly skewed, so I'll ask you, dear readers, instead: Aside from Halo 2, which should hardly be an issue because, as Whitten noted, there's plenty more where that came from, does anyone really care?

Apr 28, 2008

So there is no hope in seeing Timesplitters Future Perfect play on my 360?

*runs off and cries*

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, as mentioned long overdue, so, cant really say anything negative aboue this. At least it should means 360 live can develop further now

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
Psychosocial said:
I think this is really good. Microsoft have previously said that the support for original Xbox games is what's keeping them from fixing a friendslist with over 100 people and several other things.
I pointed this out on the forums myself. Hopefully they'll change this. I haven't gotten anywhwere near the limit, but know people have reached it.

Now send in the people who are going to see this - or any news from any company out there for that matter - as an ill omen. I'm curious to see what they'd make of this.

Shamanic Enzan

Dec 17, 2007
I can't say I didn't see it coming, however it is a bit of a blow to the bigger H2 communities, and this can probably be marked as the final mark of death for backward compatibility updates.

Hey, at least there is always Murakumo

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
They should have done this months ago. Not when the 360 launched, because that'd just be a dick move. But about a year or two ago.

Well, there's always LAN matches for those old games, right?

Tears of Blood

Jul 7, 2009
Naw, it's not a big deal.

If you guys have DLC for any of the original Xbox games you want you better get it now, though. Who knows if you'll be able to later?

jubosu

Aug 9, 2009
Just like when Microsoft decided to release halo 2 on PC
nobody cares enough to put up a fuss about playing an old game especially when 90 percent have halo 3 anyway

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
I dont use Live so it doenst directly affect me, but being PC only I find it hard to see why you would willingly accept Companies shutting down support whenever they please.

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
Took them long enough. I'm actually surprised Microsoft had the balls to hold out this long in keeping the support.

Zen Lancer

Sep 3, 2009
Man, If I had some game for the X Box that I had put a ton of time in and it had the status symbols that everyone could see to prove that (an example would be exclusive rewards for long time play/skill etc). Then Micro comes and cuts me off, I hope I get some free leveling or something for some other game, so I don't feel like I just got my seniority taken away and turned into a "noob" for a new game for the X Box that I'm playing instead. All Micro has to say about the matter is that this is what?s best? Ha! Sounds like an excuse to not hand me something for my effort. I mean not even a key chain, not anything? Cheap devils! This is Microsoft we're talking about, they got enough money to pay people to intercept this e-mail and make it flattering! Just seems lazy and uncaring, and in these hard economic times they can go shove it. I don't have any X Box games, but if I did this is what I would think.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Actually I would certainly hope they are planning at least a partial refund for some of those X-Box originals in this case. Possible download agreement aside (I don't remember one) it's only right, since the whole appeal of DLing some of those games was specifically the multiplayer. Guilty Gear, Halo titles, etc...

Truthfully I have no real respect for the "100 people on friendslist" issue because honestly I think having that many people on a friendslist is absolutly retarded to begin with. That's a sign of someone too lazy to do list maitnence, nobody is liable to actually play and hang out with that many people to begin with even if they pretty much live on their 360.

Once a Human

Nov 9, 2009
Umm.. am I the only one here who remembers they did this exact same thing something like 5 years ago when they shut down support to all paying XBOX owners in favor of the new XBL for 360 owners instead? They then placated these poor bastards by saying some of their old games would still be playable, but not many, and all the ones they had just bought would have to be rebought along with 360s.

Microsoft are dicks. And they just fucked all their old school customers AGAIN.

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
you know there going to re-release some of them on xbox live so why complain. they want money you have money, they get your money. deal with it

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Once a Human said:
Umm.. am I the only one here who remembers they did this exact same thing something like 5 years ago when they shut down support to all paying XBOX owners in favor of the new XBL for 360 owners instead? They then placated these poor bastards by saying some of their old games would still be playable, but not many, and all the ones they had just bought would have to be rebought along with 360s.

Microsoft are dicks. And they just fucked all their old school customers AGAIN.
...I feel like I just got dumber by reading this. Seriously? You're complaining about them supporting Xbox titles far beyond the console's lifespan and finally doing away with it because this will allow them to bring more and better updates to the Xbox Live framework? Are you just reaching for a reason to be mad at this rather than thinking logically? Or is logic irrelevant.

Also the irony of someone with a Borg avatar calling out Microsoft is not lost on me.