Yale Developing $3.9 Million Anti-Drug, Alcohol and Sex Game

Austin MacKenzie

Jan 26, 2010
Yale Developing $3.9 Million Anti-Drug, Alcohol and Sex Game

Can videogames keep kids from doing drugs? A $3.9 million grant to Yale says they can.

Assistant Professor of the Yale School of Medicine, Dr. Lynn Fiellin, was issued the grant to develop a game to teach "sex, drug and alcohol negotiation and refusal skills." The game's target audience is children ages 9 to 14. The game would employ virtual avatars guided through a number of situations to help them learn to make the right decisions.

The grant comes in the wake of a survey published by U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in which 7.1 percent of high school students report having had sex before the age of 13.

While the game is intended to teach the dangers of sex, drugs and alcohol, the game will not depict any of the actions in-game. "The avatars engage in role playing, having conversations in which they refuse to engage in risky behaviors," Chief of the NICHD's Child Development and Behavior Branch Peggy McCardle said in a written statement.

When asked how the game can properly teach if it refuses to allow the wrong choice to be made at all, McCardle replied the game is intended to have players create visions of their future. Making the wrong decisions won't allow the character within the game to do so, but will demonstrate how the future goals are inhibited by doing so.

"The game is still in the design phase, so the exact scenarios haven't been worked out yet," McCardle said. "The researchers hope to market the game through school systems. They are acutely aware of the sensitivities involved. They don't want to create any situations in which teens would participate in inappropriate behavior, and don't wish to set up any scenarios that school officials and parents wouldn't approve of."

The game is slated to be in development over the next five years and will be modified based on input from adolescent testers and project coordinators. The current slated test is to have some play the game (currently titled Retro Warriors) and others play a regular game, comparing the results by the initial age of sexual activity. Games have proven to be successful in an educational field before, so whether Dr. Fiellin can duplicate that success remains to be seen.

Source: <a href=http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/61017>CNS News

skeanthu

Nov 16, 2007
Dear Yale,

See War on Drugs, wash hands, rinse, and repeat.

Your Friendly Neigborhood Taxpayor

farmerboy219

Feb 22, 2009
This really won't work, it won't be fun and 9-14 year olds would rathur shoot things on killzone 2.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
I... don't know what to say.

Does anyone honestly believe that these things work, or do they just like to keep themselves busy and be able to make Yale look better?

The Lost Big Boss

Sep 3, 2008
What? What is this going to be like Mass Effect?

"So you wana do it?"
>Choose renegade< YA!
The next morning....

>YOU HAVE CONTRACTED >CLAMIDIA<< +50 Renegade!
"Ah shit..."

"Wana smoke some weed!"
>Choose renegade< Why not!
One minute later...

>You now have >SHORT TERM MEMORY LOSSTERMINAL LUNG CANCER<<

"AHHH WHERE AM I "cough cough cough" WHY AM I SPITTING UP BLOOD!"

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
"Do you want to smoke a cig?"
"Sure."
"You life is ruined and everyone hates yooooooouuuu!"
"What?"

It will be a game of exagerated, nightmarish butterfly effects and no one will enjoy playing it.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
I've always thought that edu-tainment has some serious untapped potential for people older than 5, and this does seem to be a step in the right direction.

I just hope they do it properly and make it fun as well as educational... no one will play it through if its shit, afterall, and thus valuable lessons won't be learned.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
If this game does sell which i highly doubt that it will...no one is gonna make the "good" choices. Every developer of games should know most gamers have a little sense of evil within and given the chance in a game they will abuse that evilness

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
dkuch said:
What? What is this going to be like Mass Effect?

"So you wana do it?"
>Choose renegade< YA!
The next morning....

>YOU HAVE CONTRACTED >CLAMIDIA<< +50 Renegade!
"Ah shit..."

"Wana smoke some weed!"
>Choose renegade< Why not!
One minute later...

>You now have >SHORT TERM MEMORY LOSSTERMINAL LUNG CANCER<<

"AHHH WHERE AM I "cough cough cough" WHY AM I SPITTING UP BLOOD!"
Booze Zombie said:
"Do you want to smoke a cig?"
"Sure."
"You life is ruined and everyone hates yooooooouuuu!"
"What?"

It will be a game of exagerated, nightmarish butterfly effects and no one will enjoy playing it.
Lol, actually that would be a pretty hilarious game.
I don't think this will work. People will do retarded things due to peer pressure no matter what.

Whispering Death

May 24, 2009
Our generation will be paying down the debt all our lives so that the old people of this generation can do silly things like this.

XJ-0461

Mar 9, 2009
While I appreciate the thought behind this, these sort of things alwasy come off as corny, cheesy and preachy. And this from a guy who doesn't drink or do drugs anyway.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Austin MacKenzie said:
Assistant Professor of the Yale School of Medicine, Dr. Lynn Fiellin, was issued the grant to develop a game to teach "sex, drug and alcohol negotiation and refusal skills." The game's target audience is children ages 9 to 14. The game would employ virtual avatars guided through a number of situations to help them learn to make the right decisions.
So, basically, Mass Effect?

AbsoluteVirtue18

Jan 14, 2009
Wait a moment...

"7.1 percent of high school students report having had sex before the age of 13."

...Am I the only one who thinks they might be lying about that?