Why Left 4 Dead's DLC Is Free

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Why Left 4 Dead's DLC Is Free

Valve is reporting strong activity in Left 4 Dead after yesterday's release of the Survival Pack DLC. No doubt the fact that the DLC is free has something to do with that, but why exactly did Valve go that route?

Left 4 Dead's Survival Pack DLC, just released yesterday on PC and 360, seems to be a great success. "From what we've seen on the forums, in the press, and the gamers we met on public servers this morning, folks seem to be enjoying it so far," Valve's Doug Lombardi told EDGE [http://www.edge-online.com/news/valve-pleased-with-left-4-dead-dlc-reception]. "Meanwhile, the concurrent player numbers are already up from their recent averages. So positive indicators thus far."

The Survival Pack DLC adds a new mode called Survival and two new campaigns for the game's Versus Mode. Valve, notably, decided not to charge for the content and released it completely free of charge, something of a magic trick considering the company's well documented troubles with Microsoft over getting Team Fortress 2 DLC onto the 360 without a price tag.

How Valve may or may not have sweet talked Microsoft into getting Survival Pack onto the 360 for free aside, the question remains as to why the company decided to go the free route at all. People love Left 4 Dead, and I think we can safely assume that the DLC would be popular even if it weren't free.

So why so generous? And no, simply saying "it's because Valve are AWESOME" does not qualify as an answer, especially considering Valve themselves admit that they aren't total Santa Clauses. "Releasing new content free of charge has made sense to us on many occasions," Lombardi said. "We have, however, released commercial add on packs and new episodes in the past."

The Left 4 Dead DLC, Lombardi said, fit the qualifications for free distribution best. "We evaluate these decisions on a case-by-case basis," Lombardi said. "The Survival Pack was a case where we felt like it made a lot of sense for the product and community to make it available free of charge to both Xbox 360 and PC customers and we were able to work through that plan with Microsoft."

So there. No guarantees that Valve will continue to release DLC for free, it just depends on what exactly the content in question is. The next Left 4 Dead DLC may cost you, and it may not. Valve's running a business after all. Somebody's gotta keep Gabe Newell's kids fed.

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
The L4D DLC was free because it basically ruined the game and the expectations.

1st they took out melee spamming, then they went back on the promise that DLC would feature full frontal nudity.

zebrin

Nov 16, 2008
SomeBritishDude said:
Keane Ng said:
Somebody's gotta keep Gabe Newell's kids fed.
Maybe he should stop eating their food.
HAHAHAHAHA!
Well, I am getting this DLC, I wonder what survival mode is like, it sounds fun.

Kirra

Apr 14, 2009
It's probably free bacause it doesn't add a lot. Sure a new mode might seem like a huge addon but it rather simple: Just stay in one place (Unless a Tank decides to show up) and shoot. I have tried to survival mode only twice now (Fist time my teammates commited suicides and the second time it crashed) but it doesn't add enough to ask money.

ryai458

Oct 20, 2008
because this sucks you in now they are your gods you shall worship them and buy a 10$ DLC that has less because" Valve is totally AWESOME!"

WellyPWNS

Jan 17, 2009
valve usually do good deals/ offers with there games its a good way to make people buy them plus they can't really charge the pc verson for the dlc so they thought what the hell might as well make the xbox dlc free as well

Skrapt

May 6, 2008
I think they chose to make this free because a major part of it was unlocking versus mode for the other couple of campaigns, and there'd probably be a backlash over that as really they should have been in the original release.

hagaya

Sep 1, 2008
Cliff_m85 said:
The L4D DLC was free because it basically ruined the game and the expectations.

1st they took out melee spamming, then they went back on the promise that DLC would feature full frontal nudity.
Double-what? melee spamming was something taken out a couple months ago, and... Wait, you're the guy who made the sex forum aren't you? Ah, whatever, can't change the mind of something that doesn't have it.

Also; I think the next DLC should have some new items to go along with pills; Purple Drank, a drink that makes the screen tint purple and the survivor who drinks it runs fast and zombies shit bricks whenever they see it. That, and some more weapons; where's that Flamethrower they hinted?

samandingo

Oct 22, 2008
More to the point, when (if) are we getting new campaigns? I'm just about spent on the four they provided and will gladly part with my money for one or two more.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Kirra said:
It's probably free bacause it doesn't add a lot. Sure a new mode might seem like a huge addon but it rather simple: Just stay in one place (Unless a Tank decides to show up) and shoot. I have tried to survival mode only twice now (Fist time my teammates commited suicides and the second time it crashed) but it doesn't add enough to ask money.
And you think Horse Armour is worth a cent?

Geez...

And....it's because Valve are AWESOME!

Kojiro ftt

Apr 1, 2009
As any L4D fan knows, it was free because it should have been in the game in the first place. No, this is not a case of RE5's VS mode. This is a case of a game that was released early to make the holidays, and they cut two campaigns from the VS mode to make the date. So from day one you knew there would be an update to add minimally the two missing campaigns. The Survival mode may be "new", but it was hardly a lot of code to develop. It is comparable to RE5's VS, so I would say they could have charged $5 for Survival mode, but the 2 VS campaigns would still have to be free.