240: Press B to Serve

Chimaera

Niche Game Fangirl
Oct 28, 2005
Press B to Serve

Leveling up your in-game cooking skill is often as simple as gathering up some ingredients and clicking a button a couple dozen times. But Nova Barlow has more ambitious plans: to max-out her real-world cooking abilities with a series of videogame-inspired recipes.

Read Full Article

WhiteRat07

Some guy
Aug 13, 2009
I love cooking and i game most of my free time. I'm gonna try a couple of these out later.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
These sound like delicious treats, save perhaps for the Nuka-Cola. Still, nice work on both the article and the confections!

You skill in Cooking has increased by 1 point!

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
That's... actually pretty cool. I think I'll give the Portal cake a try once my exams are over. Thanks for these recipes! :)

Chimaera

Niche Game Fangirl
Oct 28, 2005
BlueInkAlchemist said:
These sound like delicious treats, save perhaps for the Nuka-Cola. Still, nice work on both the article and the confections!

You skill in Cooking has increased by 1 point!
I keep thinking there has to be a better way to do that one... I'm still not sure what the mint was for, because the base certainly had enough caffeine by itself.

Thank you though! I had a fun time in the kitchen :D It reminded me I should do more of that.

Darchrow

Nov 18, 2009
The pretzels sound like something I can try making this weekend *.*
Very interesting read, didn't know they had actually recipes for food in-game, now I know what I want for my birthday, a Portal Cake!

Rusman

Aug 12, 2008
My flat mate made a Portal cake for a mates 21st birthday just a few weeks ago, it turned out really well :)

OT: Definitely gonna make me some of those Pretzels!

Tzekelkan

Dec 27, 2009
Great article! I had fun reading it even though I'm not very skilled with a spatula. I liked the writing style, practical and cheerful, it treated the subject very well. I was only sad [ :( ] because there was no picture of the Portal you made at the end. Mayhaps this can be fixed somehow? ;)

Chimaera

Niche Game Fangirl
Oct 28, 2005

Oh little cake, you tried so hard. :)

The lab, where you can see all the food, plus some extras that didn't get mentioned in the article. [http://www.flickr.com/photos/catsininkwells/sets/72157623169863973/]

Tzekelkan

Dec 27, 2009
The pictures are wonderful and the cake looks awesome. Seriously, it looks exactly like the real thing except if it was made by [a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leaning_Tower_of_Pisa"]the Italians[/a]. :) Oh, and the pretzels do look delicious. All in all, I think you should be able to you to yourself that this was a triumph.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
"Simply make your way to the Grim Guzzler"

Ha. Ha.

Very interesting though, and I myself have wondered about that cake. I'd give it a shot and I don't really eat that much cake or really sweet stuff. I enjoy cooking at times and this should convince me to get off my bum and actually do something about it.

Vinticore

Nov 19, 2009
The... Cake is not a lie?

A very interesting read, gonna paste that Nuka-Cola logo on everything I drink from now on.

Metcarfre

Nov 20, 2008
Trimming the domed top off of the separate layers of the cake is exactly what you're supposed to do.

Next time, though, actual 'cooking' or 'baking' would be neat to try, as opposed to the use of packaged mixes and prepared foods. I can appreciate the effort that went into the pretzels, though.

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
I've made a lot of layer cakes and I've never had an issue with the layer rising up like that. They normally just rise a little in the middle and you just flip the top layer over and by the time you're done icing it it's flattened out. Flipping the top layer over normally gives me a really good looking flat cake.

Cake mix is a bit of a disappointment as cake is really easy to make from scratch, there are a lot of easy mix it up and bake recipes that don't really require any more work than mix.

Burningsok

Jul 23, 2009
yes!! i should one day make my own Nuka-Cola.

add some water here, a little CO2 there, some flavor, and maybe... possibly add a little bit of radiation to make my pee glow. oh, that's Quantum.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Heh heh heh. I just whipped up some Royal Iced Tea in another game, Restaurant City. Except mine was peach-flavoured!

... What are you looking at me like that for? It's a casual game, so what? It counts!

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
I enjoyed reading your article and am glad someone experimented with all these recipes. Game designers put a lot of effort designing their worlds to be immersive and a can of Nuka-Cola on the ground is no trash it's a gem. It's flattering seeing a fan gave the same amount of effort.

And for a heads up, ignoring the recipe from GlaDOS (which contains inedible and toxic ingredients) the cake featured at the end is a Black Forest Cake. I finally had one last year and it may have been the best thing I have ever put in my mouth.

The model for the cake came from this bakery [http://seattle.citysearch.com/profile/34932533/redmond_wa/regent_bakery_cafe.html#profileTab-reviews].