Miyamoto Made Pikmin for Japanese Schoolgirls

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Miyamoto Made Pikmin for Japanese Schoolgirls

Why did Nintendo's legendary Shigeru Miyamoto make Pikmin [http://www.amazon.com/New-Play-Control-Pikmin-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B001CTL5GQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1279749477&sr=1-1]? He wanted to appeal to high school girls, that's why.

When it comes to game design, there are a scant few people who can be trusted to weave pure gold almost every time, and Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto is on that very short list. The man has been noted for his ability to create the fantastic from the mundane: Much of Miyamoto's inspiration for games like Mario and Zelda came from his childhood exploring in the Japanese countryside; similarly, 2001's Pikmin came from his fondness for gardening.

Gardening may have been what inspired Pikmin, but what about the why? "Every once in a while, you want to make something that high school girls can get into," Miyamoto said at a recent symposium (where he also confirmed that Nintendo was developing new hardware). He wanted to make a game that said schoolgirls would be able to pick up and play - an obvious precursor of the "gaming should be accessible to everybody" philosophy that drove the development of the Wii.

Good to know, Mr. Miyamoto. I'm sure that there are plenty of gamers out there who would love to hear you elaborate on your thoughts on appealing to Japanese schoolgirls. Though I suspect your intentions might be a bit more wholesome.

(Kotaku [http://www.4gamer.net/games/092/G009297/20100208012/])

A Raging Emo

Apr 14, 2009
Funnily enough, my little sister who has been in High School for 3 years now, has just turned on her Wii and put Pikmin for the gamecube in it.

The Rascal King

Aug 13, 2009
That doesn't sound surprising. The man made a great game anyway, despite whatever target audience he was trying to reach to.

*awaits pedophilia-related jokes*

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I don't know any girls who are into gardening. And that's kinda creepy of Miyamoto. Even if he meant nothing bad by it.

Apr 28, 2008
There's a pedobear joke in here somewhere I know it.

Anyway, its always nice to find out what the inspirations for some creations are, or why they are made.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Question.

Why is it only pedophilia when in reference to girls? It's not like there aren't plenty of game companies with products aimed to appeal to teenage boys. How is this more creepy?

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
ProtoChimp said:
I still dont think its as creepy as milo (shivers)
True true, the picture they where using on this website for Milo creeped me the hell out.

OT: i loved pikman so much, a lot of fun!

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
"Good to know, Mr. Miyamoto. I'm sure that there are plenty of gamers out there who would love to hear you elaborate on your thoughts on appealing to Japanese schoolgirls. Though I suspect your intentions might be a bit more wholesome."

Roflmao. good one Funk ^-^ b

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Meh, the game's still brilliant anyways, regardless of Miyamoto's target demographic. No word on when Pikmin 3 is coming out, though, eh?

El_Moss

Jul 21, 2009
DeadlyYellow said:
Question.

Why is it only pedophilia when in reference to girls? It's not like there aren't plenty of game companies with products aimed to appeal to teenage boys. How is this more creepy?

That's how. :)

(On a side-note that pic took me a whole 5 minutes of half-assed effort on MS paint)

khaimera

Perfect Strangers
Jun 23, 2009
Irridium said:
There's a pedobear joke in here somewhere I know it.

Anyway, its always nice to find out what the inspirations for some creations are, or why they are made.
And I thought I was the only adult trying to appeal to high school girls.

HA

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Regardless of who he tried to appeal to, Pikmin was a fantastic game.
John Funk said:
When it comes to game design, there are a scant few people who can be trusted to weave pure gold almost every time, and Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto is on that very short list.
Really? He also designed Wii Music, which was apparently horrible. Popular, but quite horrible, especially for Miyamoto standards.