Nintendo Pirate Settles Dispute for $1.5 Million

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Nintendo Pirate Settles Dispute for $1.5 Million

It's not smart to pirate videogames, kids, unless you want to become an anti-millionaire.

On the positive side, James Burt, a 24-year-old from Sinnamon Park, Queensland, was able to settle his dispute with Nintendo after he was caught uploading Super Mario Bros. Wii [http://www.amazon.com/New-Super-Mario-Bros-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B002BRZ9G0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1279573399&sr=1-1] to the internet a week ahead of its official release. On the negative side, Burt will now have to pay Nintendo $1.5 million.

Nintendo was not joking when it said it was going to step up the fight against piracy. The company applied for a search order which forced Burt to give Nintendo access to not only all of his computers, disks, and electronic storage devices, but his social networking site accounts, email accounts, and websites as well.

Nintendo said it traced Burt with "sophisticated technological forensics" and that it will "pursue those who attempt to jeopardize our industry by using all means available to it under the law." To Nintendo Australia managing director Rose Lappin, the situation "wasn't just an Australian issue, it was a global issue. There was thousands and thousands of downloads, at a major cost to us and the industry really."

This settlement was reached out-of-court, making me wonder just how screwed Burt would have been if a court had brought down an official judgment. For a 24-year-old man to have to foot a $1.5 million check, in addition to Nintendo's $100,000 legal bill, well that's just absolutely insane. To all you dirty, stinky pirates out there, it doesn't look like now is the time to mess with Nintendo.

(Via: Slashdot [http://games.slashdot.org/story/10/02/09/0612246/Man-Fined-15-Million-For-Leaked-Mario-Game])

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
On the bright side, no DRM.
I don't really know what to say. On the one hand 1.6 million is absurd for a fine, but on the other that kind of thing is the only way to get people to stop pirating games.

Lenny Magic

Hypochondriacal Calligrapher
Jan 23, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
Nintendo was not joking when it said it was going to step up the fight against piracy.
They are lunching a new navy add-on for the wii?

I would hate to be him right now...

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
Ouch, dude. Ouch.

If I'd get a fine like that, it would be the end of the world (for me) as we know it.
I'm glad I don't pirate games.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Good for Nintendo!
Obviously it's pretty extreme, and the guy will likely never pay it off (Garnish those wages!), but it's good to see some real action being taken against piracy. The guy has no-one to blame but himself. Sorry buddy, shouldn't have been such a selfish jerk. I naively hope this acts as a sort-of-but-not-really deterrent for some other pirates out there.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Makes me proud to be a Wii owner. Nice to see a company finally taking a real stand and not punishing the innocent.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
I don't see how there gonna get the money out of the guy, unless hes rich. I mean if hes a normal guy and he liquidated all his assets he may have, like a third of that.

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
so thats how a friend of mine brought NSMBW to a LAN party on is WiiFlow´ed Wii.

on topic, 1.5 million bucks and access to every electronic device he has seems like a bit to much, no, Nintendo?

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
zauxz said:
Could it be?

Could my hatred of nintendo actually grow stronger?

1.5 million? Wake the fuck up nintendo! Not all of us are swiming in dollar bills got for nosepicking!

Also, if anyone thinks this is right, then you have a fucked up sence of justice.
Why? How much money did Nintendo lose from him putting it up a week early? I guess if you can't do the time you shouldn't do the crime.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
See this is a much more effective measure than taking the fight to people who download pirated software, instead by attacking it directly at the source.

1.5 Million is probably a bit extreme but it does send a much better message than the RIAA suing senior citizens and 12-year-olds.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
zauxz said:
Baby Tea said:
Sorry buddy, shouldn't have been such a selfish jerk.
Here is a question!

How is uploading something selfish?
Sharing is caring!

OT: But seriously, pirating games is bad. I do support downloading music, as it doesn't affect the musicians as seriously, but games are a different business.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Eric the Orange said:
I don't see how there gonna get the money out of the guy, unless hes rich. I mean if hes a normal guy and he liquidated all his assets he may have, like a third of that.
I'm not a law expert, but he probably settled to avoid court costs and just files for bankruptcy, or whatever the equivalent is in Australia. It's doubtful that Nintendo will see any of that settlement, but their purpose is likely not to make up their losses but to send a message anyways.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
zauxz said:
Could it be?

Could my hatred of nintendo actually grow stronger?

1.5 million? Wake the fuck up nintendo! Not all of us are swiming in dollar bills got for nosepicking!

Also, if anyone thinks this is right, then you have a fucked up sence of justice.
Stealing something that cost a lot to develop is wrong.
Maybe you should wake up. If you steal something, you're bound to face the consequences.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
zauxz said:
Baby Tea said:
Sorry buddy, shouldn't have been such a selfish jerk.
How is uploading something selfish?
Piracy in general is selfish.
The guy is obviously into pirating software.
If he wasn't such a selfish jerk, he wouldn't be into piracy, and then he wouldn't have a $1.6 million debt right now.