Google Launches Buzz Social Networking Utility

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
Google Launches Buzz Social Networking Utility

Search giant Google has begun rolling out Buzz, a social networking utility embedded within the company's Gmail service that takes aim squarely at rivals Facebook and Twitter.

Already available to many Gmail users, Buzz incorporates familiar features like status updates and media sharing capabilities into the email client and automatically generates a friends list based on users' existing Gmail contacts. The service's mobile version, accessible via iPhone or any Android-powered handset, includes speech-to-text functionality and GPS-based integration with the company's Maps application. It's safe to say that the CEOs of Yelp, Foursquare and every other location-aware social utility are sweating this new development.

Buzz isn't Google's first foray into social networking: Orkut, a service the company debuted over six years ago, now boasts over 100 million users. But while Orkut has found popularity primarily among Brazilian and Indian users, Google aims to entice Facebook's install base of over 400 million global users into making Buzz their social networking utility of choice.

"It has become a core belief of ours that organizing the social information on the Web is a Google-scale problem," said Gmail product manager Todd Jackson in a CNET interview. In this case, the "problem" may be that Google has no access to the massive amounts of data that users exchange daily on closed networks like Facebook and Twitter, and therefore no way to sort and monetize this information via targeted advertisements.

Will Buzz actually threaten Facebook's dominance in the social networking sphere? I'm withholding my opinion until I've had some time to poke around and see what it can do. All I know for now is that after three years of politely explaining to my parents why I couldn't befriend them on Facebook, we're now all part of the same happy social networking family.

(And to preemptively answer your questions, Mom, yes, I was drunk that night, and no, it won't happen again.)

Source: Google

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
I can't see what Buzz offers that's gonna draw people away from Facebook. There's facebook, where 300 people I've met are already registered or Buzz, where some of my gmail using friend have a blank profile. I think I'll stick with facebook.
I think this will probably stay as one of Google's lesser known projects, along with Picassa and Google docs.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Google will slowly take over the Internet. If this catches on, then Google will stand poised over this vast internetwork and host a takeover of EPIC [http://epic.makingithappen.co.uk/] proportions. (The 2015 video is the more recent one, but, despite it's slight inaccuracies, is still worth a watch.)

TraumaHound

Jan 11, 2009
I don't see it as a Facebook- or Twitter-killer but it's always cool to see what Google's going to do next. While I don't yet have it active in my Gmail account (so I can't yet check it out) I did get the Android update to Maps which includes a "Buzz" feature.

EDIT: And I'd not heard of "Orkut" at all until this article so unless "Buzz" gets some actual buzz going I don't see it becoming anything globally-huge.

Zac_Dai

Oct 21, 2008
Christ if you used this as well Chrome and Google search they could build up a scary amount of information on you.

I know all of these types of companies datamine but I'd rather have info on me fragmented over several companies then one knowing every goddamn thing about me.

Batfred

Nov 11, 2009
Now that everyone is really well established on Facebook or Twitter, will people bother to open another account and build that up in the same way? I know that I won't. I just don't think that we need another social network.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I really dont see anyone really toppling Facebook in the near future.

Nice try google, why cant yopu just be happy with what you have and stay what your good at?

Loves2spooge

Apr 13, 2009
Wow, more useless social networking guff.

If you care about what your friends are up to, give them a call or an email! Don't stroke their fucking ego by doting on their every exploit!

nametakentwice

Jun 30, 2009
I don't see Buzz being any threat to Twitter. I already get stuck reading twitter posts on facebook and livejournal, and it seems they show up just as easy in Buzz. #twittersucks (though I'm aware it's not going away anytime soon and I do find myself caught up in it to some slight extent)

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
oh is that what buzz is i was trying to look at my email and this ad thing inviting me to play buzz was all over my inbox