Strange Love

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
Actually, from this list, Natural Born Killers is the only one I've seen. But, based on what you've discussed, I might have to work a few of these into my Netflix queue.

Herr Wozzeck

Oct 23, 2009
I'm surprised you didn't mention the Jean Cocteau "Beauty and the Beast". That one is a great movie to put on for Valentine's day, mainly because everything about the production is so eerily beautiful and it's so wonderfully subtle as to work brilliantly.

Great list as always. I'll try to work some of those into my Netflix queue.

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
For whatever reason, I feel the need to recommend [a href=http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0274812/]Secretary (2002)[/a] as a fantastic Valentine's Day film.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Interesting movies; I'm definitely adding some of these to my Netflix queue.

If I had to add anything to the list, it would be Oldboy: it's the only film I know that replaces a sub-romantic revenge story with surprise voyeurism in the last 15 minutes, perfect for Valentines Day!

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
Tromeo And Juliet is fantastic, one of my favourite films ever. Totally recommended for fans of sick crap (i.e me) and probably the best thing Troma studios have ever made. The freakiest thing about it is that I know a girl who looks exactly like that lesbian cook and even has almost the same tattoos and piercings.

And Oldboy is just wrongtown. Good film though.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Also, A Clockwork Orange would work; playing this movie on Valentines Day will immediately cleanse any aura of romance once associated with it.

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
Geoffrey42 said:
For whatever reason, I feel the need to recommend [a href=http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0274812/]Secretary (2002)[/a] as a fantastic Valentine's Day film.
Why would you say that?

WHY!?

It's so...

No, there isn't a word for it

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
No Princess Bride? tsk tsk, MovieBob, that romance was very comedic.

"Life isn't fair, princess. Anybody who tells you different is selling something."

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
GrinningManiac said:
Geoffrey42 said:
Why would you say that?

WHY!?

It's so...

The word you're looking for is "romantic".

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
Geoffrey42 said:
GrinningManiac said:
Geoffrey42 said:
Why would you say that?

WHY!?

It's so...

The word you're looking for is "romantic".
But...!
I...
Eh...
Uh...

Oh alright, it's "romantic". But it's damnably strange, and a little uncomfertable to watch

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Uh-oh..I'm one of those women who loves May. But it's because of May's transformation from unsure, weak wallflower to confident, empowered woman...great performance, very nuanced.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
Natural Born Killers?!? Really?!?

That movie is a steaming pile of shit: as I watched it, I realized immediately that any irony and/or wit was entirely incidental. It was 2 hours of Oliver Stone screaming at the top of his lungs "OMGZ! I MAKE PROFOUND MOVIE ABOUT HOW MEDIA CREATES ULTRAVIOLENTZ!"

No, no, no.

A thousand times no.

The best Valentine's Day film to watch with your GF that is brutal and sick and twisted, but will still make her heart melt?

TRUE ROMANCE.

As a bonus, it has Brad Pitt in his finest role ever.

That is all.

Edit: I may have to check out May, however. So thanks for that recommendation, anyway.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
Semi-random jab at Romeo "+" Juliet (& > +)? Nice. I knew I liked you, Bob.

That movie is wretched. Who knew that an entire generation of d-bags would claim to like it because they think doing so will make women believe they are deep?

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
The fun this is I have seen most of these, and I really liked May, but I dont think that I will be sittin down with the g/f to watch them this Valentines day

-m

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
PhiMed said:
That movie is wretched. Who knew that an entire generation of d-bags would claim to like it because they think doing so will make women believe they are deep?
Really? Oh wow. That's wonde- I mean, terrible! What age group are you speaking of? I like my odds against guys who are that stupid...

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
I miss the days of "unusual euphamisms". I remember some particularly risque terms from the Laurel and Hardy films: "he kicked me right in the middle of my 'daily duties'," and "Oh, you think you can go down the stairs with my wife eh?" My favourite was one where they were flirting with some young lady by getting her to describe the appearance of some lost underwear.
Anyone remember this outrageous scene that happens in It Happened One Night?
Ban this filth!