World of Warcraft Still Facing Contention in China

Austin MacKenzie

Jan 26, 2010
World of Warcraft Still Facing Contention in China

In the epic battle between World of Warcraft and China, WoW is still unable to stand up against China's mighty banhammer.

The newest installment in this ongoing battle came about as NetEase, the company distributing WoW in China, applied for the Burning Crusade expansion. Normally that'd be good news, right? Everyone loves an expansion pack!

Unfortunately, that is not the case. The re-application comes with the suspension of all new registration while the license is being reviewed. That's right, no new players until the government can make up its mind. And, as was <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93231-Is-World-of-Warcraft-Facing-a-Ban-in-China-UPDATED>previously reported, this can take awhile.

The registration suspension is expected to last through the Lunar New Year, which falls on Feb. 14 this year. Best case scenario, the suspension ends, and Chinese gamers can go back to trying to kill Arthas like everyone else.

The concern, however, is this may not be the case. The Chinese government is already expressing concerns over the content of the import game and the involvement of Western developers in its management and distribution. Last November, when the application for Burning Crusade was first submitted, NetEase was ordered to halt registration due to gross violations of Chinese law in charging consumers subscription fees. NetEase also came under fire in July with a ban threat for working with a Blizzard, a western company, which is also prohibited by Chinese law.

Best case scenario, service resumes after New Year as planned. But China's concerns over content could still trip it up, and if the company isn't up to the government's standards, the already volatile situation could explode at any moment.

At least Taiwan's servers are still open, right?

Source: <a href=http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6170X720100208>Reuters via <a href=http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/27144/NetEase_Suspends_WoW_China_New_User_Registrations_In_New_Regulatory_Snag.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GamasutraNews+%28Gamasutra+News%29>Gamasutra

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Dosnt surprise me in the least. When it comes to censorship and control no one does it better than the Chinese Gov.

Well...To Taiwan with them, lol

Asimov

Oct 13, 2009
what China fails to realize is that a government exists to keep the people happy, not the opposite of that.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I actually blame racism for this, they key element here is that they are concerned because of the fact that it's a Western game/company. If it wasn't they probably wouldn't care. This kind of thing is at the root of why a war of cultural elimination with China is inevitable (racism, not MMORPGs).

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
Asimov said:
what China fails to realize is that a government exists to keep the people happy, not the opposite of that.
Agreed.
But they cant rebel about that either or the happening must be censored by Google...
Wait?.. Did I just poke the ice wall sized the fucking wall of china...

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Asimov said:
Err no, that's not a government is for, a government is an organisation existing to solely to create and enforce policy, a democratic government exists for the reasons you state (in that policy is largely decided on mandates obtained through elections), but China isn't one of those, it's a totalitarian dictatorship (err someone correct me but I'm thinking totalitarian dictatorship is a redundant statement, but it's 4am so I'm not thinking clearly).

Anyway China is fiercely protectionist, the fact that blizzard is a western company is enough reason for them to hamstring them, personally I don't think any western company or government should be doing business in China until they at the very least change their restrictive trade polices.

Orekoya

Sep 24, 2008
Austin MacKenzie said:
NetEase also came under fire in July with a ban threat for working with a Blizzard, a western company, which is also prohibited by Chinese law.
What? ....

What?? That's the stupidest offense I've ever heard since China is not only trading with the US but also is the US's leash owner.

CuddlyCombine

Sep 12, 2007
Therumancer said:
I actually blame racism for this, they key element here is that they are concerned because of the fact that it's a Western game/company. If it wasn't they probably wouldn't care. This kind of thing is at the root of why a war of cultural elimination with China is inevitable (racism, not MMORPGs).
I wouldn't quite call that racism, seeing that you can't really be of the 'Western race'. Xenophobia is the term you're looking for.

SachielOne

Former Escapecraft Op
Aug 10, 2009
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: to Hell with China. It's a god damned game, not a tool to promote insurrection.

China: Where fun goes to die.

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
That's what happens when you piss off the other major power in the world. "Fuck up the global economy will you? Screw your companies working here." - China