BioShock 2 Blows Widescreen Support

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
BioShock 2 Blows Widescreen Support

The PC version of BioShock 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Bioshock-2-Xbox-360/dp/B0016BVYA2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278970338&sr=1-1] doesn't properly support widescreen monitors, using a cropped and stretched 4:3 aspect image to simulate widescreen instead.

Stop me if you've heard this one before: Gamers are up in arms over widescreen monitor issues in the PC version of BioShock 2. According to posts on both the 2K Games [http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56869] has acknowledged the issue but says it's limited to the PC release of the game.

"This is just a PC issue," 2K Community Manager Elizabeth Tobey wrote [http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=636761&postcount=57]. "It doesn't impact 360 or PS3 because the game always has a widescreen angle for those versions."

"I am compiling a complete list with a nifty screenshots for you, but in short: Yes, there's a problem, yes, a fix is on the way, yes the view will expand horizontally for you widescreen gamers," she said in a later message [http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=636751&postcount=56]. "I wanted to let you know as soon as I could - so stay tuned for the details."

Is this ringing any bells with anyone? Return with me, if you will, to the golden days of 2007, August to be precise, when the original gain [http://www.amazon.com/BioShock-Playstation-3/dp/B001B1W3GG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1279575047&sr=1-1] for conventional monitors.

Needless to say, gamers were entirely unsatisfied with that explanation and 2K eventually released an update to correct the issue. I was never entirely convinced that this was actually a problem as opposed to a legitimate design choice (although to be fair, I played BioShock on a standard aspect monitor) but regardless of that, 2K had to know that gamers would be watching for this and would react badly if it was discovered that widescreen support wasn't 100 percent. So how was this allowed to happen again?

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
I frankly dont care, im playing with a 22" widescreen monitor and im cool with it.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Its not as if widescreen is an emgerging technology....
Does this smack of lazy design to anyone else?

DoctorNick

Oct 31, 2007
See, I don't mind that most developers focus on consoles these days because that's where the money is at after all, but I do wish that they'd at least have to good tact to stop shitting all over PC users.

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
Hope they fix it soon. It may not be a problem for me, but some of my fellow Escapists might be less than pleased.
Starke said:
I'm getting a sense of deja vu over this...
The article did mention the same thing happening with the firts Bioshcok, so that's natural.

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
That sucks. I though devs had gotten it into their heads that a lot of people have widescreens.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
Sod playing this on my 50" plasma then I don't even see how its possible to lack wide sceen considering 1280x720p is widescreen

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Since I don't own a widescreen monitor this doesn't personally impact me, but seriously 2K - widescreens are not a fad. Standard business class purchases for my university automatically come with widescreen monitors now (and have for a while actually). I never even see 4:3 aspect ratio monitors advertised (I still have one because mine isn't broken and a larger screen would be unwieldy with my current setup).

Way to fail, again, exactly like you did the last time. So much for learning from experience.

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
I've finally understood.
PS3 version of Bioshock 1 had 5 gb install.
PS3 version of Bioshock 2 have 5 gb install.
PC version of Biochock 1 had widescreen issue, fixed on PS3.
PC version of Bioshock 2 have widescreen issue, fixed on PS3.

OMFG! They HAVEN'T IMPROVED ENGINE AT ALL! They simply took Bioshock 1 engine (Unreal Engine 2 heavily modified) and used it with no improvement at all.
God, they're cheap.

addeB

Oct 2, 2009
Hope they fix it soon, i play it on console but i have a friend who plays it on pc and he just can't stop whining about it...

Arbitrary Cidin said:
Always good to see a sequel stay faithful to the original!
Haha, best line today. :p

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
This is a problem for people who hook their PCs to a TV rather than a monitor (like me). I would have thought they would have learned from last time.

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
Now that I think about it, that does sort of make sense. The multiplayer was really, really sensitive in the horizontal axis.

I completed it nonetheless, but now it's mentioned I can see it. Hope it's fixed :)