Aliens vs Predator: "Graphic" Violence is Required

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Aliens vs Predator: "Graphic" Violence is Required

Aliens vs. Predator [http://www.amazon.com/Aliens-vs-Predator-Xbox-360/dp/B001TOQ8MU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1279574984&sr=1-1] Senior Producer Dave Brickley says it's necessary for the game to be so graphically violent because if it wasn't, it would suck.

On the surface, it looks like a no-brainer: It's Aliens fighting Predators and graphic, splattery violence, therefore, is par for the course. Predator [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078748/] pioneered the cinematic art of spinal column removal. With pedigrees like that, it's hard to imagine a videogame based on the property as being anything but bloody.

It was an area of concern for Brickley, though, who said that the CVG [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0370263/].

"It's not something we ever even considered for the game, as you can probably tell by some of the kill moves," he continued. "But it's impossible to pay homage to the material without being so graphic."

It's like the old saying goes: If you want to make an omelet, you have to break a few eggs - and if the "eggs" happen to be a metaphor for the soft, squishy skulls of the Colonial Marines, well, so much the better. Aliens vs. Predator comes out on February 16 for the PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

KnowYourOnion

Jul 6, 2009
scifidownbeat said:
I don't really know anything about this game. For starters, who do you play as? Depending on whether I'm an Alien or a Predator or a space marine, I may or may not buy the game.

Gore and violence is to be expected in a game of this caliber.
You can play as all three

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
scifidownbeat said:
I don't really know anything about this game. For starters, who do you play as? Depending on whether I'm an Alien or a Predator or a space marine, I may or may not buy the game.

You can play as all 3

single player and multi

Jon Etheridge

Appsro Animation
Apr 28, 2009
This is one of those games that I have an urge to go out and buy on day 1, but I'm going to hold off and wait for a few reviews on it. Everything I've seen so far looks really damn good and I'm a big fan of both franchises and I own the original AVP games.

I fully agree with Rebellion, if you dumb down the violence it's going to piss off your biggest core audience.

Ryuk2

Sep 27, 2009
scifidownbeat said:

...you play all of them.
I don't know about the gore. I think the only thing violent was ripping off human heads while being a predator, but meh, the video i saw showed the same move over and over again. I hope it won't be that repetitive.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Feh. Games don't need gore and blood to be good. As Yahtzee said, blood and gore are more of things for middle schoolers. Around high school it get old and starts being juvenile.
Edit: Ops, misread it as they're making it over the top blood. My bad guys sorry.

MercenaryCanary

Mar 24, 2008
scifidownbeat said:

You play as all three. They all have their own separate campaigns, and you can choose which race to play as in multiplayer.

Dude, what were you honestly thinking when you saw it?
"Oh, a game where I only play as the marine... sad face."

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Julianking93 said:
That's true.

If they made a T rated AVP game without any violence, it would suck.
Seriously bad...unless they want the aliens and predators to sing a song together >_>

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
scifidownbeat said:
KnowYourOnion said:
You can play as all three
jamesworkshop said:
You can play as all 3

single player and multi
:D

Awesome! So, what, are there three different campaigns for each faction?
That what there was in the other ones, so I'm going to go with yes.

OT: I agree it would be crap without the gore, and I don't usually play games for gore.

Aug 25, 2009
While I kind of respect them for not compromising their principles, saying a FPS alien v predator game would suck if it doesn't have blood and gore, is kinda like saying a book would suck for not having words.

Plus I played the multiplayer demo, kinda sucks anyway in my opinion. There are more than two colours guys, look at a f%&*ing rainbow.

Sir Kemper

Jan 21, 2010
scifidownbeat said:
oppp7 said:
Feh. Games don't need gore and blood to be good. As Yahtzee said, blood and gore are more of things for middle schoolers. Around high school it get old and starts being juvenile.
Quoting Yahtzee as if he were a serious game reviewer is quite juvenile. So you'd rather have AvP where the aliens and the predators and the marines sit down and chat about ethics over a cup of tea?

AvP as a franchise simply would not work if it didn't have blood and gore.
Ironically, thats almost quoteing Yahtzee right there.

Aenir

Mar 26, 2009
A-men to AvP's blood and gore!

Pre-ordered it last month, can't wait for the actual game (without the crappy demo's matchmaking and exclusively deathmatch, yuck).

Skullmaster123

Dec 18, 2009
oppp7 said:
The last time I checked, when you rip off a guy's head,
there tends to be quite a bit of blood.
Taking out the blood would make it less realistic.
And don't give me bullshit about how it's immature, it's what Predators do.

Props to Rebellion for telling Australia's communist regime to take the game as is, or piss off.

Oh, and agreeing with everything Yahtzee says doesn't mean you have taste, it means you're easy to manipulate.

Premonition

Jan 25, 2010
This game would have sold well anyways. to get gamers to forget the abominations that were the movies. BUT, violence and gore never hurt. Bring on the gore! Not Al, but squish squish splat splat.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
oppp7 said:
It's AvP, if it wasnt gory it would defeat the point of them. If I tear someones spinal column out and beat them with it, I expect gore, it would be stupid otherwise.