Akira Movie to Be Directed By Hughes Brothers

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Akira Movie to Be Directed By Hughes Brothers

The classic manga Book of Eli [http://www.amazon.com/Akira-Blu-ray-Mitsuo-Lwata/dp/B001LMU182/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1279574906&sr=1-1].

Allen and Albert Hughes, the team that directed Book of Eli and From Hell, are in negotiations with Warner Brothers to convert Katsuhiro Otomo's Akira into a live action movie. The manga may be less well-known than the seminal 1988 anime movie, but both follow bike-gang leader Kaneda's efforts to save his friend Tetsuo from government scientists, following an accident that results in the unlocking of Tetsuo's enormous psychic power, and explore themes as diverse as friendship, societal pressure, isolation and corruption.

The screenplay is to be written by Iron Man writers Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby and rather than adapt the existing movie, will split the manga, which is six volumes long and spans more than 2,000 pages, into two separate films, allowing the complex plot to be told in full.

For many, Katsuhiro Otomo's Akira anime was their first introduction to anime, so the news of a live-action version will either fill them with elation or with dread, depending, I suppose, on how much you trust the Hughes Brothers. I only ever read the first volume of the manga, and it was sufficiently different that you might as well consider the two to be separate works with similar themes. The fact that Warner Brothers is looking to the manga for inspiration however, and not just remaking the anime, seems like a pretty good sign.

The first Akira movie is scheduled for release some time next year.

Source: New York Mag [http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/02/akira_remake_hughes_bros.html]

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
I already knew they were making a Akira movie, but I didn't know who was making it, whether it would be live action or animated, or its release date.

Now I know, thanks man.

SpaceSpork

May 15, 2009
Never read Akira, but Book Of Eli was BAD. So hopefully, they won't fuck this shit up.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
TETSUOOOOOO

KANEDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I just hope they have the badass motorcycle and do it justice.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
the news of a live-action version will either fill them with elation or with dread
Dread. I pretty much get a feeling of dread about everything nowadays, but especially for live action films based on animes/mangas. But I... no, it is not just me, there are probably others who feel the same about this kinda thing.
Still, if it is based on the manga, and not a re-imagining of the anime, I suppose I could give it the benefit of the doubt.
Hell, it may even be worth watching.
If I can get over the initial dread.

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
Why do they have to stain everything with the stamp of Live Action?! Why oh why? Is money always the bottom line?

I pray to every thought-up deity when I plea "please make this NOT suck!"

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
John Funk said:
TETSUOOOOOO

KANEDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Dont forget about the Laser gun and Sol.
If i see Sol, i will be happy.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Why would you want to turn this into a non-animated movie? Why?

Worst decision since the SotC movie (Let's hope that's not happening).

BillyShakes

Oct 29, 2009
I'll watch it, and hope that I don't need to walk out on it.
I'm not a massive fan or anything, but I have my doubts about Hollywood. Serious doubts.

flaming_squirrel

Jun 28, 2008
But Akira already is a movie, and an awesome one at that! Why?!
My brain cannot begin to comprehend why they would want to do this.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
TheNumber1Zero said:
John Funk said:
Wonder what the short psychic kids are gonna look like?
Danny Devito? It's Hollywood...

For the fat final boss they could just use John Goodman unedited. It's Hollywood.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I never read the manga, but I did see the '88 anime movie. Hmm, my initial reaction is dread. Live action adaptations of animes are typically failures, but I'm going to give the Hughes Brothers the benefit of the doubt. After all they're refraining from simply remaking the '88 movie, that's got to be a good sign. Now if they can refrain of Americanizing it, it'll be perfect.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Hopefully they do a good job Americanizing it.
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/ir/hh/hhani/14178-ep002

Fwee

Sep 23, 2009
Not getting my hopes up for this one. There's an animated movie, and there's the original manga, and there's no need for a live-action in-between. What are the movie makers going to accomplish that the other two incarnations haven't?

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Well, they seem to get that they can't fit the entire plot into one movie. Still, I'm not hopefull.