184: See No Evil

Mr. Mortiss

May 24, 2010
Meshakhad said:
As a Jew, I am quite aware of the horrors of the Holocaust. I know that my generation will be the last to actually meet Holocaust survivors and hear their stories. I understand the importance of preserving those stories.

I also recognize that trying to tackle the Holocaust in a video game is a dicey prospect. But it could be done. The article suggested a game wherein you play as a Jewish freedom fighter. That might be too narrow for a whole game. But you could definitely make a game about World War II resistance fighters in general. Similar to Call of Duty, you would fight for various resistance groups, one of which could easily be Jewish partisans. The gameplay might be closer to Metal Gear Solid, with stealth a vital component.
I agree that a game should be made to cover this subject. But this subject would have to be handled delicately, start off with a game with only a brief amount of coverage, then if the game does well make another and try to fit a little more in and so on. One idea I have is something akin to to COD World at War, make it so that you play through the perspectives of differing people. Start off the game as a random prisoner working in collaboration with (or as) Leon Feldhendler and Alaxander Pechersky to start the uprising at the Sobibor extermination camp. Start a the first portion with the various prep work, only to build up to the actual uprising and ensuing escape from the camp. Then through the rest of the game when going back to this character have their levels be a continuance, either still on the run and trying to leave Nazi occupied Europe, joining with a resistance group, join up with the Red Army, or maybe reaching America only to be drafted and either be sent to the pacific or back to Europe to fight.

Then another character could be a resistance fighter. Perhaps an agent that steals intel and tries to deliver it to the allies. Or even play as a double agent, a german officer or high ranking public official with access to high level intelligence. Or perhaps a character in a similar predicament to what my grandfather had to go through during the war, an American Jewish POW. Constantly having to be careful not to reveal anything about yourself that would out you as a jew. Always trying to escape and get back to the allied forces, eventually succeed in escaping and travel as a civillian to try and reach the allies, helping resistance fighters or jewish refugees on the way.

Valagetti

Good Coffee, cheaper than prozac
Aug 20, 2010
Put a Swatika on anything and people come running n' shouting. Gotta get me one of those kickass leather jackets!