Funcom's Secret World is Anti-Grind

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Funcom's Secret World is Anti-Grind

The Secret World will reportedly have a unique gameplay style that excludes massive amounts of grinding.

Funcom has been ramping up the PR for its upcoming MMORPG The Secret World lately, which from the very beginning has been billed as something that would stand out from the current MMOG crowd. In a recent interview with Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/4272/a_little_piece_of_hell_building_.php], Funcom's Ragnar Tornquist, producer and director for the game, has revealed that grinding may be mostly absent in The Secret World.

The concept of grinding, repeatedly killing the same set of enemies over and over for experience and/or loot, is now an MMOG staple, though it is found in other games such as Dragon Quest. Everquest has it, World of Warcraft has it, and if you name nearly any other MMOG it probably requires grinding for some form of character advancement.

Tornquist says that Funcom is creating its own unique RPG and combat systems for The Secret World, and that it will play very differently from the company's previous release Age of Conan. Based on the fact that Tornquist often plays many characters in other MMOGs up to level 20 or 30 and then gets bored, he wanted to make The Secret World "fun from the get-go."

"You don't have to spend 100 hours grinding to be able to join everybody else and actually play the game," he reveals. "The philosophy is you sit down and you play. You have cool powers, cool weapons, and cool monsters from the very beginning ... If you manage to get a bunch of abilities and powers for your character, you can join a team with some people who have been playing it for months and years, and still have fun playing together with those guys."

This kind of philosopy is "central" to The Secret World, according to Tornquist. Casual players should be able to excel at a gameplay element "pretty quickly." Not that loot and equipment won't be important, as the game is still "item-heavy," but Funcom is at least attempting to remove some of the pain inflicted by other grind-heavy titles.

Everything about The Secret World, from its unique setting to its now hopefully different gameplay style, has been pretty appealing. Regardless, all of this is still PR or developer talk, so we'll have to wait for direct impressions to see if Funcom can pull it off.

(Via: VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2010/02/13/the-secret-world-will-not-be-a-grindfest-says-funcom/])

aPod

Jan 14, 2010
Could it be? An MMO im excited about.

I'll have to keep tabs on this, i know they had some crazy concept art before that got me pretty excited awhile back aswell.

Grinding not being essential would be the hook i'd need to get into another MMO. I just dont have the kind of time to frivilously kill 1 monster 500 times for supersword x and a level.

Ligisttomten

Sep 20, 2004
They also said alot of similar things about Age of Conan, and I believe we all know how that one turned out.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
-Pod- said:
Could it be? An MMO im excited about.

I'll have to keep tabs on this, i know they had some crazy concept art before that got me pretty excited awhile back aswell.

Grinding not being essential would be the hook i'd need to get into another MMO. I just dont have the kind of time to frivilously kill 1 monster 500 times for supersword x and a level.
I wouldn't get my hopes up if I where you cus...
blackshark121 said:
Is it going to destroy grind the way Tabula Rasa did?
Indeedie. Virtually every MMO has promised to remove grind.

Flying Dagger

Apr 14, 2009
If you comepletely remove grind, combat becomes more of an annoyance then something to savour.
The problem is finding an appropriate balance.

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
An MMOG without grind? I sense BS. There's always grind in everything, even shooters. Grind is central to RPGs and MMOs in general.

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
If this is good, it'll be one of the first MMOs I actually care about. I hope it has proper third-person-shooter style combat, too. If it eliminates the grind and has fun and exciting combat, I'll buy it. The setting sounds interesting too.

aPod

Jan 14, 2010
Doug said:
I wouldn't get my hopes up if I where you cus...

Indeedie. Virtually every MMO has promised to remove grind.
That is a good point. I have a habit of getting excited about a game and then dissapointed. Still it would be nice if grinding wasnt necessarily essential to the core gameplay.

scarab7

Jun 20, 2009
All the quotes from the article seems more concept then reality. Want to see a implemented idea before I'd buy into the "No Grinding" idea.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Big Talk. It's not an original idea. It's not like every MMO developer has been saying "We need more mindless repetition". Grind is there because you have to develop content for hundreds of hours of play, and reward long time players. Leveling off casual and hardcore players will result in people realising there is no reward, and leaving.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
This sounds really good, and may well end up being the one MMO that actually appeals to me (Myst Online aside, I don't like free ones because they usually turn out to be crap, like Runescape, and I refuse to pay monthly subscriptions that I can't afford for other MMOs...). Ragnar Tornquist got me hooked on his work after I played The Longest Journey. However, despite this MMO sounding awesome, I wish he'd just get around to finishing and releasing Dreamfall Chapters already! I really want to see more The Longest Journey games sometime soon...

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Funcom? As in "The Longest Journey" series Funcom?

You mean they WEREN'T making a sequel to Dreamfall to solve the cliffhanger ending?

Well, I'll check it out on developer pedigree alone.

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
It might be big talk, but it's big talk from Ragnar Tørnquist.
Thus, I am inclined to take his word for it.

Jeronus

Nov 14, 2008
Yeah right. In other news, God of war 3 won't have quicktime events but it will feature very fast time based events. Halo won't involve guns but high speed projectile firing devices.

I have heard this before but every MMO carries some kind of grind. Grind is what separates the noobs from the pros. Imagine grinding an MMO for two years and some newb who just started a month ago hands you your ass. The social pecking order would be all out of whack. MMO players are split into two groups. Those who spend their lifes working to perfect their characters and those who occassionally pop in for fun. These groups can't mix because it would destroy any real sense of accomplishment the game has to offer.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
yay hope they dome something like Guild Wars. Guild wars didnt have any grind or very little grind.